New to the forum looking for input on my 06' LJR - Lean downflow and misfire codes

OHJERSY

Hello everyone and happy to find this forum. I have an 06' LJR with 122k miles. It had developed a steady check engine light with no real performance issues. Recently, after about a 20 minute trip it ran very rough on restart and I had a flashing ck engine light. I shut it down and after a few minutes it started, running smooth with just the steady CEL again. I ran it back home and when I went to restart it to move it in my driveway it did the same thing over again. I didn't drive the Jeep for about 2-3 week and the very next time I drove it on a fairly long journey, I had zero issues whatsoever except the steady CEL.

I took it to a Jeep dealer and became very concerned after I received the following text from the service writer. For accuracy, here is the exact text: "Veh is throwing mult codes. veh is running lean in bank 2. downstream sensor etc. mult cyl misfire, might need cyl head. id like to take the manifold off this and do a deeper dive into the middle of this engine. can you authorize a couple more hours of diag time to open the engine up?" OBVIOUSLY this is was an alarming text to receive! I asked him his reasoning for not trying O2 sensor(s), plugs, and the ignition coil to see if that resolved it before the "deeper dive". He responded that codes coming through the OBD weren't telling him it was any of those things. I did not authorize any further diving and picked up the Jeep.

I don't have my own computer but just cycling the ignition 3X error codes P2098 and P0300 came up. It appears they are a lean downflow code and a fairly generic misfire code. I'm seriously thinking about the bank 2 downflow sensor and then resetting the codes first. If the CEL issue persists or even if it is resolved, I'd replace the plugs and the coil pack, just because I bought the Jeep in April 2017 with 99k miles. I have no idea when anything was last replaced. Thoughts?

Firing the parts cannon at a problem isn't a good habit to get into but NGK ZFR5N plugs and an NTK O2 sensor are inexpensive and will at least establish a baseline. Replace them and check your exhaust manifold for a leak. Reset the computer and report back on the results.

Last edited:
Firing the parts cannon at a problem isn't a good habit to get into but NGK ZFR5N plugs and an NTK O2 sensor are inexpensive and will at least establish a baseline. Replace them and check your exhaust manifold for a leak. Reset the computer and report back on the results.

Thank you for your response and the help is much appreciated!! I will definitely give your suggestions and shot and let you know.

Let us know what you find-

Clogged or failing cats and sensors are pretty common at that mileage point- I’ve had 3 ‘06 models, 2 needed cats and sensors. Anything over 60-70,000 miles is suspect.

The best TJ knowledge is here.

• Wow
Reactions: RINC