New to the forum... sort of

Dave K.

Supporting Member
IMG_0422.JPG
I'm Kathys boyfriend so even though I haven't been on the forum, I feel like I've been a member for months .:eyepop:

She wanted me to join after I bought an 03 rubicon . I've had a 07 rubicon for several years and recently purchased a yj junker. I have lots of decisions to make over the next several months.
For now I know I'm going to be putting in a new suspension kit in my 03, most likely Currie because my control arm bushings are shot and there's a lot of rattling going on. However, I am waiting to do any work until I build a new workshop with a lift so I can do the work more easily. I'm working on purchasing additional land from the neighbor which will allow the space to do it right and be big enough to hold all our toys.
I'm sure I'll be asking for suggestions and help when I get to that point. Thanks. Dave
IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

Welcome to the forum Kathy's boyfriend :D

FYI, the last pic clearly shows a severely bent tie rod. You need to go to a heavy duty tie rod or a ZJ v8 swap. Those tires are far to heavy and large to run a stock tie rod.

Reactions: Kathy
Oh yes, Kathy has showed us this sweet, sweet Rubicon before. You stole that thing, and my advice would be to hold onto that for as long as you can, and keep it clean.

That thing is a beauty indeed! Talk about one hell of a find.

IMG_0143.JPG
@Cisco Kid Yes she already got a soft top. But I think I'm putting the carpet back in to quiet it down some, so she probably won't be getting that.

@Rob5589 thank you. I didn't see the tie rod being bent when I first bought it, but someone pointed it out when Kathy posted a pic a while back. I haven't driven it much outside of seeing what I need to do. I'm hoping if I get the shed built before winter I'll be able to go through everything and make a plan. Would you recommend the Currie steering components since I'm putting the suspension kit in, or you like the one mentioned better? What's a ZJ V8 swap?

Reactions: Kathy and Chris
Oh yes, Kathy has showed us this sweet, sweet Rubicon before. You stole that thing, and my advice would be to hold onto that for as long as you can, and keep it clean.

That thing is a beauty indeed! Talk about one hell of a find.
Thank you. That's why I need to get my shed built before winter . It has never seen snow and my garage and other shed are full.

Thank you. That's why I need to get my shed built before winter . It has never seen snow and my garage and other shed are full.

Good call! Definitely a good idea to keep that thing garaged so it can stay out of the elements. If you do that, it will last forever, and look good doing so.

Welcome Dave! That is a beautiful Rubi and I am super jealous how cheap you got it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dave K.
View attachment 21128 @Cisco Kid Yes she already got a soft top. But I think I'm putting the carpet back in to quiet it down some, so she probably won't be getting that.

@Rob5589 thank you. I didn't see the tie rod being bent when I first bought it, but someone pointed it out when Kathy posted a pic a while back. I haven't driven it much outside of seeing what I need to do. I'm hoping if I get the shed built before winter I'll be able to go through everything and make a plan. Would you recommend the Currie steering components since I'm putting the suspension kit in, or you like the one mentioned better? What's a ZJ V8 swap?
I have no personal experience with the Currie but it is supposedly very stout. The ZJ tie rod is much thicker as well as using larger tie rod ends. There is a how to on it here I believe. If not, Google can find it as it is a popular swap. Whatever you do, get rid of that one asap before it completely tacos.

Ha, here he is! We've been hearing about you too Dave. Welcome aboard! Nice TJ Rubi. Great pics. Congratulations on a home run. I love red TJ's. Of course, I'm biased, having flame red myself. Great group of guys here. You and Kathy seem Pretty neat, and you certainly got the Jeep bug...Currie is hands down good stuff. The ZJ tie rod conversion seems simple and relatively inexpensive. I think you can get all the parts at NAPA. How to do it is in the How-To section of the foru. It's called ZJ Tie Rod Conversion. I'm doing one early next year when the new money's come in...

View attachment 21128 @Cisco Kid Yes she already got a soft top. But I think I'm putting the carpet back in to quiet it down some, so she probably won't be getting that.

At 35's it may be time to upgrade the whole system.

Also the ZJ swap he is talking about is swapping the tie rod from a ZJ onto a TJ. Its fairly straight forward and in the FAQ: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/zj-tie-rod-conversion.2373/#post-87753

I personally run the Currie Steering.

Currie steering vs stock :D

1FC076BE-E126-45DF-BE1D-72BCFD38C2DF.jpg

Reactions: Kathy and Chris
If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Currie Currectlync steering. Best steering setup you can get for a TJ with factory axles.

I absolutely love mine! Super easy to install too.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Currie Currectlync steering. Best steering setup you can get for a TJ with factory axles.

I absolutely love mine! Super easy to install too.
Money won't be the problem getting the right stuff and the time to do it.
Right now Kathy has her son's Hummer apart. For brakes.

Reactions: Chris
Money won't be the problem getting the right stuff and the time to do it.
Right now Kathy has her son's Hummer apart. For brakes.

Ahhh, I hear ya there! Multiple projects at once. I have that problem as well!