New to TJ's - need lift advice

WIYeti

Hi everybody, first post. I haven't had a Jeep in 15+ years and recently bought a clean 1999 Sahara that came with 33's, but has zero lift. I'm looking for advice on which lift is the best balance of value, build and ride quality. This Jeep won't see any extreme off roading, some occasional trails most likely. I had been looking at a Rough Country X series 2.5" lift with adjustable control arms, but I've seen mixed reviews. Any input would be much appreciated - Thanks!

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Steer clear of Rough Country if you can. Especially their shocks. The general consensus here is that Rancho 5000x shocks are about the best for the money. To fit 33's you need around 4 inches of lift. Since you are only planning light offroading your best option would be a 2.5" spring lift and a 1.25" body lift. Your stock control arms will be fine for this set up. They may look flimsy but are very well designed and as a bonus are cheap to replace.

I personally have 2 opinions for you. My first recommendation would be to trade the 33's for a set of 31's and add a small body lift. With 31's you can avoid wanting to regear (assuming you have 3.73 hears) and your Jeep will drive as good as stock. If I had your Jeep this would be my plan. If you are set on 33's I would use OME springs and a aluminum spacer body lift. Good luck with your your Jeep! It's a good looking TJ.

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
if it doesn't already have a body lift, that's the best place to start. that's 1.25" of wheel space you don't have to complicate the suspension with. and it will make maintenance and modification work easier with the extra space.

see what that does for you...... and that'll give you a visual place to start to think about how much more lift you may want. and then we can help figure the best way to go about it.

you may not find much love for RC equipment around here.
for what you seek you probably won't require adjustable control arms and other complimenting systems.

Reactions: taylormade73
Thanks for the input, really helpful! I was thinking about buying new control arms anyway. Every time I hit a bump the Jeep is all over the place like the bushings are shot (shocks as well presumably). So am I on the right track with a 1.25" body lift and 2.5" kit? The Jeep has 3.73's, and I really like the wheel/tire combo, which is brand new.

Steer clear of Rough Country if you can. Especially their shocks. The general consensus here is that Rancho 5000x shocks are about the best for the money. To fit 33's you need around 4 inches of lift. Since you are only planning light offroading your best option would be a 2.5" spring lift and a 1.25" body lift. Your stock control arms will be fine for this set up. They may look flimsy but are very well designed and as a bonus are cheap to replace.

Excellent advice. Get the OME lift springs, the Rancho 5000x shocks and a solid puck 1.5" body lift with a 1" MML. This is what I did and run 33s without an issue on stock control arms. I do have 4.10 gears though.

It may sound like a lot, but all of the above can be easily installed with basic tools and basic mechanical skills with help from the write ups on this forum

I run 33’s. Have Rough Country 2.5 “ suspension lift, no body lift. These were installed by PO. If I were going to do it I would go with OME lift.

I've got a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift kit on my rig, also with 33" tires. After installation, it measured closer to 4". I've had it for five or six years now and I'm not unhappy with it, but I feel like it could be better. It's tough to judge because I've never had any other kit on my rig. I'll likely swap the shocks for the Ranchos come this summer.

I agree with the consensus on Rough Country. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and ordered a seat riser kit from them. It's a simple kit with eight pieces: four pucks and four bolts. All four bolts were the wrong size.

How do you screw up something so simple?

With no plans to go offroading I would simply stick in a 2" puck lift for now. That will increase the spring height for very little money.
Before you spend lots of cash drive it for 5-6 months. If you are not rubbing tires on anything maybe even wait on the pucks (spring spacers). Stock 3.73 gears will give you less acceleration and power the bigger the tire you have. Switching to 32 or 31" rubber will put some fun back into the drive.
Make sure everything is mechanically on good shape. Sounds like your steering and possibly suspension need attention. 2" spring lift works fine with stock control arms. And that's all 32's need, so if the control arms are shot replacing them with new stock arms won't waste your money. Upgrade to a ZJ 1 ton steering setup. It fits with out changing anything else and is what a TJ should have come with.

Fix what needs fixing, but hold off on expensive lift kits. Stock arms, ZJ steering, Rancho 5000x shocks. Drive it. You may decide you want to have a hardcore rock rig. You may decide you want a light trail rig. You may decide somewhere in the middle, or not want to ever go off the pavement. Until you know what you want you will be spending money blindly. Or maybe you really should be starting with a different type of vehicle. Drive it until you are sure of what you want to do. Keep your piggybank full until then.

I really have no issues except stiff ride. I have nothing to compare it with, since I bought it that way. Not very favorable reviews. Will be replacing shocks soon.

I can't blame the PO I put the Rough Country 2.5 “ suspension lift, N3 shocks and steering stabilizer, transfer case drop and rear track bracket on it. Then later I noticed that I ordered the 4 cyl kit instead of 6 cyl, but of course I had them installed them before I noticed so my front springs are probably too soft.

The ride quality overall isn't bad, I know its a Jeep but when I hit bumps its like there are no shocks, just a solid piece of steel! Jarring!

If you change the shocks soon post your results. I'm going to change the shocks for sure, might just change it all.