New to winching

K9 scott

I will be installing a Smittty built x20 10,000 winch on my 2004 TJ. Is there anything I need to be concerned about as far as battery and altenator size? I currently have a 550 cca battery and the stock 115 amp alt. thanks for any help.

The manufacture specs recommend a 650CCA minimum and the OEM alternator will work fine.

Keep your TJ running when you use the winch & set the emergency brake if you step away from the running vehicle.

I will be installing a Smittty built x20 10,000 winch on my 2004 TJ. Is there anything I need to be concerned about as far as battery and altenator size? I currently have a 550 cca battery and the stock 115 amp alt. thanks for any help.
Watch a few saftey videos. Make sure to tie your line off low on trees so there is less leverage and also be aware heavy rocks may not be as heavy as you thought once the jeep is on the other side of the line.

Reactions: WSS
Start with a 750 cca battery and make sure you make good connections. Helps with winter starting too.

If marathon winching sessions are in your future you will want to look at alternator upgrades. If you watch your volt meter while winching try to keep it above 12 volts. If you notice it continually dips below 12 then it is time to take a break and let the alternator catch the battery back up. Low volting a winch is one of the primary causes of winch failure as the amp draw increases with voltage drop leading to excessive heat in the motor.

Reactions: BIGMike and WSS
Most important is safety. Go by reputable videos and practice on safe ground. I prefer synthetic line for many reasons. It’s light and can be handled much easier than steel. It stores less energy than a steel cable too in the event of failure. Soft shackles are quicker than D shackles and just as strong.

Reactions: Alex01
If you're winching and you notice the voltage drop, can you just give it a little gas to keep up the volts?

The situation I have in mind is pulling of a stubborn shrug or small tree. I'll usually sit inside with my foot on the brake in neutral and give it some gas when the volts drop.

If you're winching and you notice the voltage drop, can you just give it a little gas to keep up the volts?

The situation I have in mind is pulling of a stubborn shrug or small tree. I'll usually sit inside with my foot on the brake in neutral and give it some gas when the volts drop.
So the answer to your question is yes and no. Yes increasing engine RPMs will increase the alternators output. But most 12 volt DC winches depending on load can draw upwards of 550 amps. Take the M8 for example, at no load it draws 80 amps and at full pull 435 (keep in mind these are ideal numbers created in a lab). Most TJ alternators put out in the low 100s so you really are just relying on the capacity of the battery to run the winch. So even at half rated load on the M8 you are still using more amps than the alternator can supply. Biggest reason to keep an eye on the volt meter is the TJs PCM really starts acting weird once you drop below 11.5 volts.

0003848_m8-winch-26502.png

Reactions: matkal
@Blackjack Good Stuff, thank you.

Ive seen the voltage light before, and just paused for a minute. I had no idea it would be bad for the pcm or the winch. Looks like I’ll have to upgrade the battery and take my time before the next landscaping project.

Ive seen the voltage light before, and just paused for a minute. I had no idea it would be bad for the pcm or the winch. Looks like I’ll have to upgrade the battery and take my time before the next landscaping project.
Ok, now we open Pandora’s box. Lol

A dual battery set up could be useful. Many ways to go about that. I’ve built two setups. The last was the simplest as far as wiring but difficult cause there is no room in a TJ.

A bigger/higher output alternator is helpful too

First build:

Dual optimas
IMG_0025_zpsffhpbxu0.jpg

250 amp alt:
IMG_3500_zpsvpghtgcs.jpg

Second build TJ:

IMG_2011_zps8wv3ated.jpg

200 amp alt:
IMG_1368_zpsrmhuzmsk.jpg

In the end on the TJ, I had to put a battery in each side behind the fender. I used a hellroaring combiner to Handle the isolation and switching. Very compact and easy to use.

Here is a pic of the cab control. When winching switch to on. Both batteries will be used. Both are always charged and isolated in auto.

IMG_1169_zpsjy6zfz76.jpg

I also put winch controls inside the cab. The remote still works too

IMG_2302_zpsssje4dgg.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: matkal

Just get yourself a decent quality AGM battery, and there is absolutely no reason to go with dual batteries. And most winching needs are completed in 30-45 seconds so rarely do they drain the battery enough to worry about, especially when the engine is kept running. I've even winched myself off the trail at least twice without the engine running and with just one AGM battery. Nope, doing that did not drain the battery... the engine started right up after fixing the engine issue.

And when doing repetitive pulls, which are rare, just use a little common sense battery management. Just give the alternator a chance to recharge the battery some between pulls and keep the rpms up so the alternator can put more power out.

AGM batteries work better for offroading since they are constructed more ruggedly to resist the shock and vibration of offroading, and they are usually able to provide more current and charge more quickly due to their low internal electrical resistance. If you have the $$$ it's hard to beat Odyssey, Northstar, or Bosch Platinum AGM batteries. If not, most store brand AGM batteries hold up fine.

Do avoid Optima batteries, their quality and lifespan went to hell after they were purchased by Johnson Controls who immediately moved their entire manufacturing line to Mexico. That's when they started using cheaper materials and also stopped using pure lead.

To further Jerry's comments, NO OPTIMAS. I think I had the last two decent optimas, way back. The AGM's can also be mounted in any position, adding to the versatility. I use two batts not really for winching but for welding. I can connect both batts together to make 24v.

To further Jerry's comments, NO OPTIMAS. I think I had the last two decent optimas, way back. The AGM's can also be mounted in any position, adding to the versatility. I use two batts not really for winching but for welding. I can connect both batts together to make 24v.
Never hurts to have enough amperage to run the DC vertical mill I know you have tucked away in there somewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: WSS and Apparition
Just get yourself a decent quality AGM battery, and there is absolutely no reason to go with dual batteries. And most winching needs are completed in 30-45 seconds so rarely do they drain the battery enough to worry about, especially when the engine is kept running. I've even winched myself off the trail at least twice without the engine running and with just one AGM battery. Nope, doing that did not drain the battery... the engine started right up after fixing the engine issue.

And when doing repetitive pulls, which are rare, just use a little common sense battery management. Just give the alternator a chance to recharge the battery some between pulls and keep the rpms up so the alternator can put more power out.

AGM batteries work better for offroading since they are constructed more ruggedly to resist the shock and vibration of offroading, and they are usually able to provide more current and charge more quickly due to their low internal electrical resistance. If you have the $$$ it's hard to beat Odyssey, Northstar, or Bosch Platinum AGM batteries. If not, most store brand AGM batteries hold up fine.

Do avoid Optima batteries, their quality and lifespan went to hell after they were purchased by Johnson Controls who immediately moved their entire manufacturing line to Mexico. That's when they started using cheaper materials and also stopped using pure lead.
Hi @Jerry Bransford - i decided to listen to your advice and stick to factory alternator on TJ Sport 4.0 2004. Decided to invest into quality battery and found this Odissey AGM - https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odx-agm34-battery-34-pc1500t/
Seems like with this battery, it is should be more than enough.
I can carry my standard battery from Autozone, as a spare in a back, as a back up.