New top color?

I have been having a hard time finding this exact color. My build sheet says it came new with a dark tan top. The tan tops I have looked at don't really match what I have. I did by the jeep used so I don't know if this is the factory top or not.

I would order the black top.
But it looks like I'm in the minority :)
Since your bumper, side windshield light bar mounts and wheels are all accented black, I think it would look good accented with a black top.
I also like changing things up on my Jeep, so I'd try to get a different color than I had previously.
But really - either color will look good IMO. That's a sweet looking Jeep you have. I'm really digging that color right now...

fyi - off-topic a bit, but I'd also consider painting your chrome plastic headlight bezels black too.

I have been having a hard time finding this exact color. My build sheet says it came new with a dark tan top. The tan tops I have looked at don't really match what I have. I did by the jeep used so I don't know if this is the factory top or not.
My mistake...I could have sworn you had the khaki top. Goes to show you cannot rely on internet photos...

Last edited:
IMG_0849.JPG
Think i am going to go with black. Now if i could decide between a regular replacement or the fastback style.
Had the Rampage frameless fastback on a 2005. Loved the look and simple to take off, but the road noise was horrible. Although much less expensive, I would not have another one for that very reason.

Think i am going to go with black. Now if i could decide between a regular replacement or the fastback style.
I know a lot of people like the fastback look, doesn't do anything for me. I like the look of the classic OEM soft top myself. Just my opinion, though.

I'd personally choose the regular framed replacement for aesthetics and noise. (and potentially replacement parts maybe)

However, I do like the extra large window of certain fastback styles.
I also like the angled frameless style on the 4door JK versions, but prefer the framed on the TJ's.

you need to keep the same color, it sets you apart from the rest. I can always see black tops on Jeeps, and some khaki tops, but yours is truly one of one.

X2, read that thread.

But yeah, there can be no argument whatsoever that the Bestop is the BEST TOP out there for the TJ.
Actually there can be some debate and when I tried to explain it in the thread, it was locked and I couldn't reply.

Bestop has not always been able to make the same top for the aftermarket that they make for Jeep. In fact, most of the way through the TJ model run, they couldn't make a top that used the Jeep door surrounds and had to design and sell a version of a top with what can only be called bullshit surrounds for the doors to close against.

How I know this is I helped the folks at Viking Offroad with some work on what is now the Rampage Frameless top which they designed to use the OEM door surrounds. Shortly after they started selling them, they got a cease and desist order from Chrysler/Bestop pointing out the issue and stating that only Jeep could offer a top that used them. It went on further and stated that the cessation only had to be in place for about 4 more months as Jeeps sole use claim would expire then.

Anyway, the point of all that drivel is while Bestop does make a good product for the most part, they have not always been able to offer an OEM equivalent version in the aftermarket. Oddly, I've seen some commentary from various sources claiming to be connected to them that say the Sailcloth version that Jeep was so proud of is really not that special. Having had both versions, I'm not sure what that means because the later heavier tops are a lot quieter.

Reactions: Chris
I saw the photo, yes. But the OP's top is not tan, it is khaki, a color that came factory on later year TJs. If he's willing to go with tan, great. I am simply pointing out that khaki is what he has if he wants the same color, and it is getting harder to find.
Sorry, but I am pretty sure, 99.9% certain that is not a Khaki top. Khaki (OEM) has a greenish tint to it that would really be pronounced against the Desert Sand color of his Sahara. Desert Sand exists in the red/brown tonal range on the color spectrum and the dark tan that is on there blends well without any contrast. The greenish hue of the Khaki would be more of a contrasting range and would really stand out as being such.

This is a pic from the web and if you look over the rear flare, you can see the hue I'm referring to.

37591328.jpg

I know a lot of people like the fastback look, doesn't do anything for me. I like the look of the classic OEM soft top myself. Just my opinion, though.
Same here. For the work I did with Viking I was offered a complete fast back top and declined because they just don't appeal to me.

Sorry, but I am pretty sure, 99.9% certain that is not a Khaki top. Khaki (OEM) has a greenish tint to it that would really be pronounced against the Desert Sand color of his Sahara. Desert Sand exists in the red/brown tonal range on the color spectrum and the dark tan that is on there blends well without any contrast. The greenish hue of the Khaki would be more of a contrasting range and would really stand out as being such.

This is a pic from the web and if you look over the rear flare, you can see the hue I'm referring to.

View attachment 11104
Already conceded in post 26 that it was not khaki. OP said his build sheet said dark tan.

I don't believe Bestop offers their sailcloth replace-a-top in dark tan, as that was an oem color top prior to sailcloth being used...