New trail tent

CasterTroy

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
With age, comes the aches and pains of an old man. One ache I grow tired of is the cold/hard ground as a mattress. I've tried cots, and even air mattresses, but alas, I'm just sick of it.

I slept a few times in the back of the truck in my besttop supertop

20151118_121505.jpg

But still, cramped space and can't stand up when trying to get out of the bed.

I decided to go on a search for a pop-up slide in.

It took a few months but I was able to score a nice used one for a decent price.

camp1.jpg

camp3.jpg

But she was the wrong color....much like a Kardashian, I have a.....well...propensity for the darker persuasion.

Besides, the graphics were cracking and after a good wash ..they evaporated, leaving me no choice

20160617_094729.jpg

So after justifying to my wife WHY I had to hit up Finishmasters for some 2K primer, Nason base and clear, I broke out my HVLP sprayer and went to town.

I first scoured the entire surface with Dawn and a scotchbright pad (well, 20 of them) and then taped off everything. Then I shot the rubber with plastic/rubber paint and sealer

camp9.jpg

Next I shot the primer

camp10.jpg

And then the base cote.

camp11.jpg

Then clear

But she turned out nice!

camp13.jpg

camp15.jpg
camp14.jpg

Now I'm one step closer to Moab 2017! Now I just need to buy a mobile garage from Harbor freight to shield me from the sun out there :D

Reactions: Chris
Now that looks awesome, especially in black! Let's see some photos of the inside when you get a chance.

Reactions: CasterTroy
Oh it's HUGE inside!

10341450_10152351809507638_4449774114205342709_n.jpg

Oh wait...that's pops motorhome :D

I didn't even think about taking pics of the inside

I took it off the truck last night and hid it in the woods from the HOA like I use to my enclosed trailer :cool: so I'll shoot down this weekend, pop it up an snap a few when I go to tint the windows

Haha... You had me fooled there for a second. I was going to say, shit... that looks a lot bigger on the inside than it does on the outside.

Gotta love HOAs... Right?

Well...it keeps the 79 TA on blocks out of the yards....but....also limits my fun (no 5ton or Hmmwv)

I can hide it pretty well though...this is where I use to keep my enclosed (empty lots beside me and behind me)

It's quite a bit lower in elevation than the road so behind bushes and trees nearly invisible

hoahide.jpg

Looks like it's nicely hidden out of the way there. You know... Until they start building houses right behind you!

Yeah...but a funny thing happened when we closed on this house with the builder 8 years ago. Like 4 pieces of paper before finishing: "Oh, and full disclosure says we have to tell you that you're house is in one of 6 select routes for a new hiway"

We're thinking "CRAP...what do we do? Oh this is TOO good of a deal to pass up, lets risk it"

Guess which one they picked 2 yrs ago!

Guess where they can never build new houses.

And guess what project they have voted down funding for and won't reconsider until 2020.

Yeah..THIS guys house is right in the path

109.jpg

Fu** me running in high heels wearing spanks and rubber pants!

It's not my first time getting screwed by the DOT

My first house in 96 was eventually taken in 2006 by the DOT for a hiway bypass that was planned in 1998 2 years after I purchased it.

We made 140% on the house though because I added on in 2003 and jacked the tax value thru the roof (intentionally)

We SHOULD net a MIN of 15% if this ever goes thru. I'm fine either way. By the time we're bought out we'll be ready to downsize to a cabin off the grid in the mountains

I hear ya. I always tell my wife that one day when we are older and the kids are moved out, it might be fun to own a big RV and no house at all.

There's a reason this "trail tent" is so small (one man)

Because "princess" would require something with heated marble floors and granite countertops if SHE were to travel...and I don't have $1.2M for a Prevost chassis RV ;)

There's a reason this "trail tent" is so small (one man)

Because "princess" would require something with heated marble floors and granite countertops if SHE were to travel...and I don't have $1.2M for a Prevost chassis RV ;)

Hahaha, I hear ya! You can get RVs for a pretty good deal on the second hand market. They definitely don't hold their resale value (most of them at least).