New trailer project (Pack Mule?)

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Just picked up this trailer today for only $200. It has been sitting at a house close to where I work and I've seen it every day on my way to and from work for the last 2 or 3 years. I've always wondered if the guy might put it up for sale and have kept an eye out for a For Sale sign. He never did, so yesterday on my way to work I stopped to ask him if he was interested in selling it. No one answered the door, so I left a note with my phone number. While in the locker room, I got a call from him and he said he'd sell it for what he paid for it a few years ago; $200. I went today to look at it. It's very solid, only one small area of rust on one side of the lower part of the tailgate. The paint on the bottom and the spray in bed liner is peeling a lot, but overall it's solid. Based on pictures I've seen on the internet, I think it might be a Pack Mule trailer. I have a feeling it's not the original axle, it has 6 lug hubs. And the axle is welded to the frame. No suspension, except the air in the tires. It also has an odd coupler that I've never seen before. Luckily I took a 1-7/8 hitch and ball just in case, because that's what it was. I'd ultimately like to put hubs on it that matched the LJ so everything was the same size.

1) Does anyone with a Pack Mule trailer (or knowledge of them) know if there are any markings or tags that identify it?

2) Does anyone know if they had leaf springs or some kind of suspension?

3) What are good sites for ordering stuff for building/replacing things like axles, springs, hubs, etc.

IMG_9387.JPG

IMG_9388.JPG

IMG_9392.JPG

IMG_9393.JPG

IMG_9394.JPG

IMG_9396.JPG

IMG_9397.JPG

That hitch is classic, a keeper for sure. Axles, suspensions, look for a local spring shop. They usually do everything from snow mobile trailer to semis.

They should be able to supply some springs, hangers for an axle over suspension, which should be a simple fit once the solid mounts are cur off.

For the cost difference I always get a 3500# axle and hubs and use 2000# springs.

Last edited:
Nice Pack Mule at a great price! I’ve been keeping an eye out for a deal like that myself. Here is what I was thinking for a suspension solution.

https://timbren.com/axle-less/

I think that is exactly what @lowranger did with his.

I was just looking at those on the E-trailer website. I wonder if a 1,200 lbs or 2,000 lbs (or even higher) should be used. They look like it would be pretty easy to install by the video on E-trailer.com.

That hitch is classic, a keeper for sure. Axles, suspensions, look for a local spring shop. They usually do everything from snow mobile trailer to semis.

They should be able to supply some springs, hangers for an axle over suspension, which should be a simple fit once the solid mounts are cur off.

For the cost difference I always get a 3500# axle and hubs and use 2000# springs.

I don't think we have any kind of shops like that in my area. At least I've never heard of any.

What kind of details do you know about that kind of coupler? I've never seen one. It does have some numbers of something molded into it but I'll have to clean it up to be able to read it.

Last edited:
I don't think we have any kind of shops like that in my area. At least I've never heard of any.

What kind of details do you know about that kind of hitch? I've never seen one. It does have some numbers of something molded into it but I'll have to clean it up to be able to read it.
Google it. You'll be surprised. Trailer Parts 4U

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Nice find, especially for the price!

These are probably gimme’s for most of you here, however I think first thing I’d do on a trailer is check the grease pack in the bearings. I distinctly remember helping my step dad add washers and grease to a wheel after it burned up on him 1/4mi from home just to limp the rest of the way. Shortly after that checking a motorcycle trailer we bought finding mostly dry as well.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Yes sir! That is a "Pack Mule" trailer made in Marysville California in the mid 80s designed to tow behind Jeeps.
It looks all original except for the 6 lug bolt pattern, they were 5 on 5 for the CJ models. Good score on finding that trailer. They are getting harder and harder to find and you got it at a great price!! I paid $700 for mine.
Yes, the axles were welded onto the frame. I took mine off and put a torsion axle on it, works great, don't have to mess with leaf springs.
The hitch is original and is a great hitch, if I were you I would leave it on, I left mine on and have towed it all over the country. I put a pin in where the handle comes down and lines up with the hole.
The tail gate makes into a table when camping. There should be 4 brackets on it that are threaded where you can screw in some legs. Are they still on the tailgate?
This is how mine looked when I found it in Nevada north of Reno.

CIMG4736.JPG