New trailer project (Pack Mule?)

I thought you Pack Mule guys might like to see this one which was posted on the Expedition Portal forum today. Too bad it's just the one pic.

Two of my trailers are posted just above it (#655) and the build thread(sort of) for the first one is included in my signature.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/collection-of-trailer-builds.52549/page-44#post-2999742
911696F5-A03B-482F-93D7-A96F156CAAE4.jpeg

I’ve just got random bolts and nuts holding them in right now. I ordered some stainless steel hardware. Button head cap screws to install from the inside of the bed so stuff won’t get hung up on them.

Great thread Tom (and others)... there isn't a ton of good Helder Pack Mule threads out there, searching for 1988-packmule-expedition-conversion gets you another good one.

Posting my pics here, just to add to the knowledge base of the Helder... I haven't built it up the way I want to yet, but I had to jump on the opportunity to buy it a few years back... $800 is what I paid and it has a couple options not found on many Helders..

1992 Helder Pack Mule
- Bought from I believe 2nd owner in Northern California
- I feel like this is visually slightly longer/wider than some of the older models, but do not have actual measurements handy.
- Jerry Can holders on each side
- Locking axe, shovel and hi lift jack mounts in the front (a cable lock can be run through the tool hold downs)
- Hinged, Locking Top
- Roof Rack (unsure if this was factory Helder)
- Leaf Spring suspension
- Tongue Platform (I do not believe this was factory)
- Does not have original jack, but does have original jack mount
- Tie Down spring/hooks on sides/front (unsure if this was factory Helder)
helder_toolmount.png
helder_inside.png
helder_vin.png
helder_other_side.png
helder_side.png
helder_leaf.png
helder_rear.png
helder_sticker.png
helder_sticker2.png
helder_front.png
helder_jerrycan.png
helder_tongue.png
helder_top_latch_lock.png

Last edited:
Great thread Tom (and others)... there isn't a ton of good Helder Pack Mule threads out there, searching for 1988-packmule-expedition-conversion gets you another good one.

Posting my pics here, just to add to the knowledge base of the Helder... I haven't built it up the way I want to yet, but I had to jump on the opportunity to buy it a few years back... $800 is what I paid and it has a couple options not found on many Helders..

1992 Helder Pack Mule
- Locking axe, shovel and hi lift jack mounts in the front (a cable lock can be run through the tool hold downs)
- Hinged, Locking Top
- Leaf Spring suspension
- Tie Down spring/hooks on sides/front (unsure if this was factory Helder)View attachment 319633View attachment 319634View attachment 319635View attachment 319636View attachment 319637View attachment 319638View attachment 319639View attachment 319640View attachment 319641View attachment 319642View attachment 319643View attachment 319644
That is pretty cool.

1992 Helder Pack Mule
- I feel like this is visually slightly longer/wider than some of the older models, but do not have actual measurements handy.
- Hinged, Locking Top
- Leaf Spring suspension
- Tie Down spring/hooks on sides/front (unsure if this was factory Helder)View attachment 319633View attachment 319634View attachment 319635View attachment 319636View attachment 319637View attachment 319638View attachment 319639View attachment 319640View attachment 319641View attachment 319642View attachment 319643View attachment 319644View attachment 319683
Nice trailer and a great buy on it.

1992 Helder Pack Mule
- Hinged, Locking Top
- Leaf Spring suspension
- Tie Down spring/hooks on sides/front (unsure if this was factory Helder)View attachment 319633View attachment 319634View attachment 319635View attachment 319636View attachment 319637View attachment 319638View attachment 319639View attachment 319640View attachment 319641View attachment 319642View attachment 319643View attachment 319644View attachment 319683
What part of Northern California are you in @orossb ?