New trailer project (Pack Mule?)

That’s what I thought too. Not sure of the manufacturer but it has a resemblance to the pack mule. It’s just down the highway 10 minutes from me.
If you're in the market for a trailer and it that close to you, might be worth it to go look at it, see what axle it has and if you could get him down some on the price. Interesting to see what make and year it is too.

I found this one today for $1500, about twice what I want to pay.

View attachment 133636
That's a nice trailer! Interesting that it has what looks like propane tank and gas or water tank brackets on it already plus the tongue rack. I doubt those wheels and tires are original to the trailer. I think somebody has been using it for the things you probably want to do with it. (y)

Nice find, would love to find one like yours at 200 or even a bit more but that will take a lot of luck. Congrats
I actually found another one for the same amount. It's quite a different trailer but well worth the price which would be about $150 USD. I'll be stripping out the axle and building a garden tractor trailer with it. The C channel frame and diamond plate deck are great and at 4'x9' plus the tongue it's a bit bigger than the one above. I have a tear drop design in mind for it and a lot of the parts I need. I just have to clear up some time.

I used a utility trailer I built to haul this one home (upside down in the trailer). It's the one I'll be selling this summer.

Tom - sorry to clog up your thread … but I like building trailers as much as I do Jeeps! 😊

DSC_0032.JPG

No problem, @PCO6 , I don’t mind. I’ve had a link to your trailer build saved for quite a while now for inspiration and ideas.

Reactions: PCO6
@lowranger , did you happen to find details of what axle you used? Did you have to modify it much to fit the trailer?

One of the pictures I’ve came across looks like it has a bar/axle spanning from side-to-side. I’m now considering trying to find one a little cheaper than the Timbren axle-less ones. I don’t really need the ground clearance for it, plus can save a little money.

Reactions: DrDmoney
@lowranger , did you happen to find details of what axle you used? Did you have to modify it much to fit the trailer?

One of the pictures I’ve came across looks like it has a bar/axle spanning from side-to-side. I’m now considering trying to find one a little cheaper than the Timbren axle-less ones. I don’t really need the ground clearance for it, plus can save a little money.
No, I couldn't find the receipt on where I ordered the axle from. I didn't have to modify it at all. I ordered it to fit. Measured the width of the trailer frame and told them what I wanted.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
No, I couldn't find the receipt on where I ordered the axle from. I didn't have to modify it at all. I ordered it to fit. Measured the width of the trailer frame and told them what I wanted.

Ok, thanks. I didn't even realize places made them to fit, but it makes sense it could be done.

That's a nice trailer! Interesting that it has what looks like propane tank and gas or water tank brackets on it already plus the tongue rack. I doubt those wheels and tires are original to the trailer. I think somebody has been using it for the things you probably want to do with it. (y)
I agree, I’ve been by where this trailer is a few times and they know what they have. It’s listed as a Jeep trailer on CL plus they have a few Jeeps including the TJ that’s connected to it in a couple of the pics.

Reactions: Alex01 and PCO6
The price of used trailers can be all over the map. Granted, a lot depends on how much of a "starter kit" it is. My off road trailer build ( http://www.jeepcentral.ca/forums/showthread.php?3937-PCO6-s-Trailer-Build ) started out with a $200 find on Kijiji. I saw it in the morning and had it home later that day. If you're able to act quickly you can get some great deals.

This summer I'll be selling a utility trailer I built. I've been monitoring prices on Kijiji and based on some of the poor examples I've seen that are going for decent prices I should do well. I may even get my money back after using it for the last 10 years!
@PC06
Thanks for the link to your off road trailer build site.
Lots of good ideas. Love the repurposed BBQ cart frame and hitch cargo carrier usage!
Nice Work!

Last edited:
Reactions: PCO6
@lowranger , do you know if this is how the original axle is set up?

Just trying to figure out what I'm starting with.

IMG_9450.JPG

IMG_9452.JPG

IMG_9453.JPG

@PC06
Thanks for the link to your off road trailer build site.
Lots of good ideas. Love the repurposed BBQ cart frame and hitch cargo carrier usage!
Nice Work!
Thanks! I like to repurpose things when I can. For one thing the metal is inexpensive and often free. I have various small benders and can generally make what I want but square tubing can be a challenge. Also, if you can get multiple pieces that are jig built and mass produced they're going to be accurate and each piece is going to be the same.

Along the same lines I recently built a stand for a 100W solar panel out of parts from an old metal chair and a roof/kayak rack for my tear drop trailer out of a chain link fence gate. I'm now making a similar roof/kayak rack for my XJ. These 3 projects required a total of 10 perfect 90* bends and I didn't have to make one of them. I also didn't pay anything for any of the metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Sorry it took awhile, but here is a picture of my torsion axle bolted on. There is even a part #. I can take more pictures if you need them.
The name of the place I got it from was.
SouthWest Wheel Co.
8740 John W. Carpenter Fwy
Dallas Texas 75247
214-631-0200
They were great to work with. I called them and told them what I wanted and the measurements.
I went with a 3,500 lb axle. I don't think you really need that much. I would go with a 2,000. Would probably ride better.
I left the 2"x2" tubing they have on there, had to extend it out a little and then bolted to that.

DSCN3011.JPG
DSCN3012.JPG
DSCN3017.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01