New trailer project (Pack Mule?)

Nice trailers you all have. I sold my old bantam trailer earlier this year and started building a custom trailer myself. It will be on 33x10.50-15 tire and I had the axle made using the wheel offset and tires I got so that it is exactly the same track width as my Jeep. I’m made the frame to have an extendable tongue length so I can shorten it up for trail use and lengthen it for long Highway use. It’s got a 3500# axle with brakes and 2000# springs and will have shocks as well. I using a Lock n Roll hitch set up. It’s still in the early stages. But here are a few pictures. If all my measurements and calculations on what I’m hoping it weighs it should set pretty level with the Jeep.

FBBD0ED3-8365-4365-85EB-B007B3BAF6C2.jpeg

F565B107-629F-403F-BD61-EB49A64316B0.jpeg

D1C9F974-9532-4A78-879C-01466F0505FA.jpeg

868B6827-4904-4486-AC0C-2C3F668A85EB.jpeg

Yes sir! That is a "Pack Mule" trailer made in Marysville California in the mid 80s designed to tow behind Jeeps.
It looks all original except for the 6 lug bolt pattern, they were 5 on 5 for the CJ models.
I have an original 1989 packmule trailer with the 6 lug bolt pattern. I think they would match to he vehicle. AT Overland did the same thing a several years ago when I got their horizon trailer. I got mine for free because the previous owners left it behind so I did an abandoned vehicle title. Mine has the 4 rear light but I wish It only had the two. I'm gettig ready to restore it so I may fill in two of the holes. It is relatively rust free having just been sitting here in the dry hot desert.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I confirmed that I’m a little bit better at grinding than I am welding. 😐

View attachment 215585
I just got the title for an abandoned 1989 packmule that is in excellent condition that was left on my propety years ago. It too has the 4 lights & I want to do the same and fill in the two extra holes. I hope my welds are better too :) but you got the job done.

Better than the white.
Ha ha. When I restore mine it is going to be white with black bedliner underside & front . Living in the southern AZ desert white is literally COOL. A white vehicle versus any other dark vehicle is proven to be 10-15 degrees cooler inside. When it gets hot here that makes a big difference. Plus all of our vehicles are white for that same reason & it hides desert pinstriping the best.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Thanks.

So, your trailer had four taillight holes too? I just figured someone cut out the two uppers. I wonder if any came like that or some people have just been cutting extra holes?

Thanks.

So, your trailer had four taillight holes too? I just figured someone cut out the two uppers. I wonder if any came like that or some people have just been cutting extra holes?
I think they came that way because when I investigated the trailer 2 years to decide if I was going to restore it or sell to a friend who wanted to buy it from me I saw many pictures with 4.

I guess back then with the incandescent lights you needed two for breaks & teh other two for turn signals. Now you can get brake, driving, & turn signal in one led light. I also got the smaller 4x7 motorcycle size trailer tag they have here in AZ so I can mount it length wise just above the driver side light or sideways with a bracket. I didn't want it on the rear door due to the tag light wiring & that door is removable.

Just like they came with 5 or 6 lugs. Mine has 6 but I'm going to eventually replace that with a 6 lug Timbren axeless system with ebrake (like ebrakes due to mountains).
(I confess, I'm on this forum for the packmule trailer info but we have a Landcruiser, Tacoma, & 4Runner which are 6 lug)

I would have paid $1500 to keep from having to to do as much to mine. It’s still no where near where I’d like for it to be but it’s been a fun project and I’ve learned a few things so far.

Reactions: DrDmoney