New Truck Discussion

A few months ago we traded in the wife's 2017 Flex Limited 3.5EB for a 2023 F150 Sport w/ 2.7EB. It's her daily driver. The F150 is a more comfy and fuel efficient street pounder that doesn't compromise the Flex's absolute shit turning radius. Real world mileage (around flat as ________ Michigan) has been low 20s city, mid-20s highway. Recently she traveled from Lexington, KY to home without stopping for fuel in Ohio, so that's a win.

The truck received it's first freebie oil change at the dealer. The tech discovered the factory didn't install an oil filter (cartridge style). We're just getting the party started on that one.

Can't comment on how it handles truck duties because it's still shiny and new. No worries. If I need to do stupid truck stuff I have a 2004 GMC 6.0 2500HD 4x4 RCLB work truck or 2007 Ram 2500 5.7 4x4 CCSB in the fleet. . . currently. Actually, the GMC's turning radius makes the F150 feel like a Civic by comparison.

A few months ago we traded in the wife's 2017 Flex Limited 3.5EB for a 2023 F150 Sport w/ 2.7EB. It's her daily driver. The F150 is a more comfy and fuel efficient street pounder that doesn't compromise the Flex's absolute shit turning radius. Real world mileage (around flat as ________ Michigan) has been low 20s city, mid-20s highway. Recently she traveled from Lexington, KY to home without stopping for fuel in Ohio, so that's a win.

The truck received it's first freebie oil change at the dealer. The tech discovered the factory didn't install an oil filter (cartridge style). We're just getting the party started on that one.

Can't comment on how it handles truck duties because it's still shiny and new. No worries. If I need to do stupid truck stuff I have a 2004 GMC 6.0 2500HD 4x4 RCLB work truck or 2007 Ram 2500 5.7 4x4 CCSB in the fleet. . . currently. Actually, the GMC's turning radius makes the F150 feel like a Civic by comparison.

Nice having an older truck that you can use for its intented purpose upon request. I like those 6.0's. I know a mechanic that has one with 500,000 plus kilometers orig trans/motor. Same year I think

Not me, I’m at 1,050 pound feet ;)

Those trucks are incredible, If you lease them and write them off under a business and flip every couple. Otherwise the cost of ownership is huge and so is the depreciation, at least in my parts. Although the 2500 GMC/CHEVS are awesome. Buddy has a 24 2500 Deisel with all the bells and whistles,outrageous how nice that truck is. New fords have 1200 lbs and 500 horse aswell.

Reactions: Apparition
Those trucks are incredible, If you lease them and write them off under a business and flip every couple. Otherwise the cost of ownership is huge and so is the depreciation, at least in my parts. Although the 2500 GMC/CHEVS are awesome. Buddy has a 24 2500 Deisel with all the bells and whistles,outrageous how nice that truck is. New fords have 1200 lbs and 500 horse aswell.

Coworker has a ‘24 3500, it’s been in the shop several times and it drinks DEF in comparison. I much prefer my Ford.

I’m curious to see how all these Cummins recalls play out on the Ram trucks.

I know it's not the best choice. Not going to wheel it since I have my LJ. Just like Jeeps and that the top can come off. Also like that some models (most interested in the Mojave) come with 33's and you can run 35's with no lift.

Our JTR has been through several refreshes, but has finally settled at 6.5" and 40s. But I really like the Mopar 2" lift with 35s on a JT. It's also the only lift that won't void your factory warranty!

Disregard this if you get the Mojave.

I figure they measure the mileage with minimum acceleration. The faster you accelerate, the more gas you're going to burn. Plus for highway miles, I figure they measure at exactly the speed limit or less.

I will check on fuelly.com. Looks like a good site to reference.

If you accelerate like a grandma and take forever to get up to speed thats not great either. Like lots of things there is a sweet spot there. Finding it is the hard part.

It’s pretty impressive for a heavy truck on 35’s.

It's not a truck but I'll meet up with you in my JL if you want. :)

image.jpeg

Don't get a JT if you're not going to use it like a Jeep.

The Gladiator is a compromise between a truck and a jeep, and like most compromises, it's mediocre at everything, great at nothing.

It's neither a good Jeep nor a good truck. The bed is shallow and tiny. It's too damn big and long to do well off-road. The ride is abysmal compared to other pickups. But it's a convertible and you can get a stick in it. I thought about waiting in 2018 when I bought my Colorado, but ultimately I needed a truck that could do truck things. It can't. In a year or so, the "need" for my 6' bed will be nearly gone, and I could conceivably get by with a shorter bed and a rack for my kayaks and stuff. But again, do I want to spend $60k minimum on something new?

I currently have a 17 Colorado (CCSB zR2). Does everything I ask of it, except get good milage (about 18) and the biggest frustration I have with American midsized trucks is the ridiculous "mandate" that they won't put a bed on them that will accept a 4' wide sheet of anything. The 3.6 V6 is a pretty fun engine to drive (esp with the trifecta tune), and the jury is out on the 8L45 transmission. I had the torque converter lockup issue on mine. Finally got the fluid changed and that seems to have fixed it. They are also undergeared from the factory (my opinion) and the 8 speed hunts a little on the highway. I'm looking to pull the trigger on some Nitro gears and go to 4.10's (I have 33's on it as well). Other than that, its a pretty nice truck. I have just over 70,000 miles on it now and don't really foresee me selling for another few years

Last one one a 14 F150 FX4 with the 3.5. I LOVED the powertrain...never had a single issue with oil in the intercooler or any of the other ecoboost issues. Unfortunately, the rest of the truck suffered build quality issues that I just didn't want to deal with. Stuff like the weatherstripping falling off the doors, a bad set up in the rear end (had to have a full rebuild at 61,000 miles) and other minor, but unacceptable stuff. I bought that one new and put about 85000 miles on it.

If I were buying brand new today...I'd look REALLY hard at the new Tundras.

I currently have a 17 Colorado (CCSB zR2). Does everything I ask of it, except get good milage (about 18) and the biggest frustration I have with American midsized trucks is the ridiculous "mandate" that they won't put a bed on them that will accept a 4' wide sheet of anything. The 3.6 V6 is a pretty fun engine to drive (esp with the trifecta tune), and the jury is out on the 8L45 transmission. I had the torque converter lockup issue on mine. Finally got the fluid changed and that seems to have fixed it. They are also undergeared from the factory (my opinion) and the 8 speed hunts a little on the highway. I'm looking to pull the trigger on some Nitro gears and go to 4.10's (I have 33's on it as well). Other than that, its a pretty nice truck. I have just over 70,000 miles on it now and don't really foresee me selling for another few years

Last one one a 14 F150 FX4 with the 3.5. I LOVED the powertrain...never had a single issue with oil in the intercooler or any of the other ecoboost issues. Unfortunately, the rest of the truck suffered build quality issues that I just didn't want to deal with. Stuff like the weatherstripping falling off the doors, a bad set up in the rear end (had to have a full rebuild at 61,000 miles) and other minor, but unacceptable stuff. I bought that one new and put about 85000 miles on it.

If I were buying brand new today...I'd look REALLY hard at the new Tundras.

You can put 4 x 8 sheets in a Maverick

1704984574618.png

1704984639528.png

1704984920381.png