New Truck?

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
So I am going to Moab with the guys on the forum next year, and I am looking at options on getting there.
It is a 8 hour drive, and my initial plan is to tow my tent trailer behind my Jeep. But it is 8 hours of towing then play for a week and 8 hours back. Not sure if that is the best plan. I do have a Ram 1500, and I was thinking about renting a car trailer, but I am not sure if my old Ram will tow my Jeep especially because I have to climb a mountain to get there.

I was also thinking about looking into a motorhome as some of the other guys have, but I really can't store one. And I really don't want to store another trailer a motorhome and a truck.

Renting a car trailer is pretty expensive too. I am thinking about gambling and buying a car trailer then selling when I get back for the same price or a little lower. It will be 1200 to rent. I think I can buy one, and resell it without losing 1200 bucks. Or if I can actually use it behind my 1500, I may just keep it if I get a good price.

I think a truck will be good, but it needs to be at least a 2500 4x4. I am really leaning towards a Ram 2500 4x4 Heavy Duty, but new ones are 50K and used ones a few years old are still 40K. I can't really justify that.

so two questions
Will my Ram 1500 4x4 (2003) pull a full car trailer with my jeep up the pass? or even at all legally?
And is it just me or does 40K for a used truck with 60K miles on it seem ridiculous? Am I a grouchy old man? Like back in my day you could get a 4x4 for 10K WTH?

It's the brakes that can get you hurt towing with a 1/2 ton. And trucks are crazy high these days. Before you buy a new one , price getting the Jeep transported.

Trucks now a days are expensive.
Ok realistically speaking the curb weight of a stock 97 Jeep Wrangler was 3100 lbs. With all your modifications you may be added an additional thousand pounds ( very high estimate).

From the internet
Model: 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500
MPG: 13 city / 17 highway
Horsepower: 345 hp @ 5,200 rpm
Towing capacity: 8,100 lbs
Engine: 5.7 L V8
Curb weight: 5,133 lbs
Wheel size: 17″ diameter, 8″ width
Payload: 1,517 lbs

That tells me you're towing capacity is 8100 pounds total weight.

So the Jeep plus the trailer must weigh less than 8000 pounds. ( for legal).

Assuming you have a class 3 Hitch. The 2 inch slide in Hitch. You will be more that capable of towing your jeep easily.

You can rent a trailer from u haul for around $60 a day. Might be able to shop around and get a better deal.

So in conclusion rent a trailer tell your jeep with what you have

Reactions: ac_
I trailer my TJ all over with a 2005 F150 4x4, no problem.

Couple things,
> make sure trailer brakes work
>commercial(rented) trailers are heavy duty and weigh a lot.
>experiment with Jeep placement on trailer to distribute weight correctly.
>trailers are like trucks, very useful to have around, I find all sorts of uses for mine.

Trucks now a days are expensive.
Ok realistically speaking the curb weight of a stock 97 Jeep Wrangler was 3100 lbs. With all your modifications you may be added an additional thousand pounds ( very high estimate).

From the internet
Model: 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500
MPG: 13 city / 17 highway
Horsepower: 345 hp @ 5,200 rpm
Towing capacity: 8,100 lbs
Engine: 5.7 L V8
Curb weight: 5,133 lbs
Wheel size: 17″ diameter, 8″ width
Payload: 1,517 lbs

That tells me you're towing capacity is 8100 pounds total weight.

So the Jeep plus the trailer must weigh less than 8000 pounds. ( for legal).

Assuming you have a class 3 Hitch. The 2 inch slide in Hitch. You will be more that capable of towing your jeep easily.

You can rent a trailer from u haul for around $60 a day. Might be able to shop around and get a better deal.

So in conclusion rent a trailer tell your jeep with what you have

Holy crap you did your homework! Thanks for that!
I am a little worried about the brakes now that @AndyG brought that up. I was towing my toy hauler with one quad in it and got stuck behind a semi coming down and definitely overheated my rear brakes.

I would still chance it now that you said it would be legal.

I am pretty sure that U-haul wouldn't rent a car trailer to a 1500 though. I have tried that before and their minimum requirement is a 3/4 ton. Although I could buy one then re-sell it.

Holy crap you did your homework! Thanks for that!
I am a little worried about the brakes now that @AndyG brought that up. I was towing my toy hauler with one quad in it and got stuck behind a semi coming down and definitely overheated my rear brakes.

I would still chance it now that you said it would be legal.

I am pretty sure that U-haul wouldn't rent a car trailer to a 1500 though. I have tried that before and their minimum requirement is a 3/4 ton. Although I could buy one then re-sell it.
I added your truck info and jeep info into the uhaul website and it says you are fine.

Your truck should be able to have a trailer brake controler added.

Do you have the 4 way flat hookup. Or the 7 pin round one on the bumper.

Edit..... never mind i found this.
U-Haul patented auto transport trailer design outweighs the competition in more than one area. It is equipped with automatic brakes,

Aslo curb weight on the trailer is 2100 lbs. You are more than fine to use that

Last edited:
I added your truck info and jeep info into the uhaul website and it says you are fine.

Your truck should be able to have a trailer brake controler added.

Do you have the 4 way flat hookup. Or the 7 pin round one on the bumper.

Edit..... never mind i found this.
U-Haul patented auto transport trailer design outweighs the competition in more than one area. It is equipped with automatic brakes,

Aslo curb weight on the trailer is 2100 lbs. You are more than fine to use that
Geeze you are awesome! It is really hard to find excuses around you huh?

Thanks for all of your research work.

I have both a 4 pin and a 7 pin plug. I also do have a brake controller. I use my half ton to tow my toy hauler/camper usually, but my toy hauler is not quite big enough for the Jeep.

Im up way to late..... i just thought about it. You can always add a towbar attachment to the front of the jeep and pull it.
20180803_223204.jpg

My truck is a 1/2 ton and pulled the jeep no problem. Its an option. But the trailer would be less ware and tare on the jeep. And god forbid you break it in moab it will be a pain to get home.

Reactions: Chris and ac_
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that all the U-haul trailers have surge brakes.

From the U-haul website:

Surge brake system
A surge brake system is entirely self-contained on the trailer and is activated when the tow vehicle decelerates. The momentum of the trailer pushes the surge brake housing forward. This drives the push rod that is connected to the coupler into the master cylinder. Brake fluid is then forced out of the master cylinder into the wheel cylinders or pistons that apply the trailer brakes. The entire activation process is completed in less than one second. Hydraulic surge brake systems can be used by a variety of tow vehicles and can accommodate a variety of trailer loading conditions without requiring any type of adjustment. All U-Haul braked trailers use a surge brake system.

And is it just me or does 40K for a used truck with 60K miles on it seem ridiculous? Am I a grouchy old man? Like back in my day you could get a 4x4 for 10K WTH?
Prices these days are downright vulgar, in my opinion. I honestly don't know how folks can afford to do that. But I know I'm out of touch with that kind of stuff...

Reactions: AndyG and ac_
I pulled my jeep on a uhaul trailer cross country.. 3.6 v6, 2012 grand cherokee overland.

Only tome there was an issue was in some very steep mtn pass outside el paso.

The issue was heat.. overheating in texas.. while driving in 2nd and 3rd gear for miles. Had to pull over a couple times.

You are over thinking it. Rent or pay a friend to borrow their trailer, load the Jeep correctly, drive slower and more cautious, and have a blast!

I don't think you'l have any problems @ac_ I had an 02 Avalanche that I used to tow with...EVERYTHING. The majority of my towing was my boat, which goes across the scales at 5750 on the trailer, full of gasoline and "supplies" for the day. While I didn't do any mountains (we only have big hills in Michigan) it was NEVER a problem. The only thing I ever wanted to change is to put airbags in it. Newer trucks are designed to ride well, so they softened the springs...they don't take the tongue weight like they used to...but then again, you don't lose your dental fillings either!

I've also hauled a 30 horse John Deere Compact tractor with a bucket with that truck. I wouldn't recommend THAT going over mountains...I'm pretty sure I was overloaded then!

When that truck started to rust out...I picked up a NEW (yeah, I know) F150 FX4 with an Ecoboost. What a towing machine! It pulls the jeep without ANY drama whatsoever.

This is a 18 foot Aluminum Trailer my dad bought. Its SUPER handy to have around. If I were you, and you're already considering a new truck...I'd add a brake controller to my current truck and spend the 2800 or so on a trailer like this. Electric brakes are SO much better than surge. The boat trailer has surge brakes and they work, but they are a compromise, at best. They are not very progressive...They work by virtue of a sliding hitch. When you come to a stop, the hitch is stationary on the ball, but the trailer chassis is free to move forward. That movement is resisted by a damper and the master cylinder. So, the harder you stop, the harder the load pushes on the MC and in turn you get a greater application of brakes. At least, that is the theory. On my boat trailer, which I keep in good nick, you won't feel the brakes and then you do! When you take off, the hitch slides back out with a clunk. Its not a smooth operation...So they DO work, but Electric is so much better.

qq7P55izQIdUep7SowZEYsOQ_jgH7PqMIAKcJEvcqlV5UJUk0ZoHEMOld4F-tYsjYAs3Yv5MEPwBp4VozC=w1122-h631-no.jpg

A new Rubicon 4 door is 57,000 dollars .

My used 2012 f250 was 35k...and I nearly needed therapy after I bought it .

It's getting insane .

I don't think you'l have any problems @ac_ I had an 02 Avalanche that I used to tow with...EVERYTHING. The majority of my towing was my boat, which goes across the scales at 5750 on the trailer, full of gasoline and "supplies" for the day. While I didn't do any mountains (we only have big hills in Michigan) it was NEVER a problem. The only thing I ever wanted to change is to put airbags in it. Newer trucks are designed to ride well, so they softened the springs...they don't take the tongue weight like they used to...but then again, you don't lose your dental fillings either!

I've also hauled a 30 horse John Deere Compact tractor with a bucket with that truck. I wouldn't recommend THAT going over mountains...I'm pretty sure I was overloaded then!

When that truck started to rust out...I picked up a NEW (yeah, I know) F150 FX4 with an Ecoboost. What a towing machine! It pulls the jeep without ANY drama whatsoever.

This is a 18 foot Aluminum Trailer my dad bought. Its SUPER handy to have around. If I were you, and you're already considering a new truck...I'd add a brake controller to my current truck and spend the 2800 or so on a trailer like this. Electric brakes are SO much better than surge. The boat trailer has surge brakes and they work, but they are a compromise, at best. They are not very progressive...They work by virtue of a sliding hitch. When you come to a stop, the hitch is stationary on the ball, but the trailer chassis is free to move forward. That movement is resisted by a damper and the master cylinder. So, the harder you stop, the harder the load pushes on the MC and in turn you get a greater application of brakes. At least, that is the theory. On my boat trailer, which I keep in good nick, you won't feel the brakes and then you do! When you take off, the hitch slides back out with a clunk. Its not a smooth operation...So they DO work, but Electric is so much better.

View attachment 49992
Thanks for the pic. That does make me feel a little better for sure. It doesn't really even look like your truck sags at all.

Reactions: Mike_H
Thanks for the pic. That does make me feel a little better for sure. It doesn't really even look like your truck sags at all.
You control tongue weight (sag) by vehicle placement on trailer. Move it forward increase tongue weight, move it back decrease.