New valve cover... still leaking

cliffish

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Replaced the valve cover gasket with a felpro and it is still leaking. I did not have a torque wrench in in-lbs so I just did t manually....probably over tightened them. Also is there supposed to be a torque limiting washer on all the bolts? the rear most on the passenger side where the bridge bolts on does not have one. When I tried to use one there I could not get the bolt to catch.

So, I am going to get a new torque wrench, do I need a limiting washer on that bolt?

Looking at replacing mine as I just finished the RMS. I’ve read on the forum that the most difficult part is the bridge at the rear of valve cover. Any secrets to help in removal ?

Proper torque is the key, I think it may be due to the plastic valve cover. I believe it distorts easily enough that over torquing causes leaks..... I do not have an answer about the washer on the rear bolt, but I bet mrblaine or Jerry Bransford could answer for you......

My valve cover was metal, not plastic. The secret for the rear bridge is to loosen the screws holding the extension along the d/s support. It was not easy but there was enough movement that removal was not really that bad. Also on the front AC lines (if you have) there is also a bracket up front to remove.

My valve cover was metal, not plastic. The secret for the rear bridge is to loosen the screws holding the extension along the d/s support. It was not easy but there was enough movement that removal was not really that bad. Also on the front AC lines (if you have) there is also a bracket up front to remove.

Thanks for the advice. Going to replace weekend after next. Wish me luck.

I am going to get a new inch-pound torque wrench. I am fairly sure the gasket could hold up to over torquing but do you think I need to loosen all the bolts and let it "relax" (reshape) for a while or would it be fine to loosen all the bolts and properly re-torque all the bolts in sequence right away?

I am going to get a new inch-pound torque wrench. I am fairly sure the gasket could hold up to over torquing but do you think I need to loosen all the bolts and let it "relax" (reshape) for a while or would it be fine to loosen all the bolts and properly re-torque all the bolts in sequence right away?
Yes I would double check the torque. You did.make sure the valve cover and cyl head were clean, that's important.
Do you have the old gasket with limiting washers? Those limiting washers work great, I have found.
I still have the original(?) Valve cover gasket on my 166k tj, I just snug the valve cover down to the limit washers and so far no leaks. No gasket sealer at all, just make sure all clean surfaces, I use lacquer thinner.
If you have a cork gasket without limiting washers its best to use a torque wrench.
Rubber gaskets with limit washers are the.best imho

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Looking at replacing mine as I just finished the RMS. I’ve read on the forum that the most difficult part is the bridge at the rear of valve cover. Any secrets to help in removal ?
Pull that thing right off and bin it, this is what mine looked like when I got it off. I wasn't trying to be carefull though, the plan was to bin it, so I didn't care. As you can see, you don't really need it.

3.JPG

4.JPG

Replaced the valve cover gasket with a felpro and it is still leaking. I did not have a torque wrench in in-lbs so I just did t manually....probably over tightened them. Also is there supposed to be a torque limiting washer on all the bolts? the rear most on the passenger side where the bridge bolts on does not have one. When I tried to use one there I could not get the bolt to catch.

So, I am going to get a new torque wrench, do I need a limiting washer on that bolt?
I think everyone is missing your last statement. Yes, that last bolt needs the limiting washer like all the rest, it's is effectively warping the cover causing an imperfect sealing surface. Are you saying the bolt is to short to thread into that hole?

I think everyone is missing your last statement. Yes, that last bolt needs the limiting washer like all the rest, it's is effectively warping the cover causing an imperfect sealing surface. Are you saying the bolt is to short to thread into that hole?
It did not seem to catch...although knowing I was possibly short one TLW I pulled it out and let the bridge kind of be a limit washer...would not doubt that is the issue. While I can't see the leak, it is dripping from the back....not much. I am getting a proper in pound torque wrench and will see if Ace hardware has a limiting washer. I will then do the rear main seal so I can eliminate that as the possibility as well.

And just one more note, if that valve cover to gasket surface has ever been deformed in any way, whether possibly during removal or installation,
the valve cover has to be perfectly straight or it will leak