New Wrangler JL Unlimited VS Used 2022-23 Lexus GX460

MaximusLJR06

Jeep Green LJR Addiction
Supporting Member
Just looking to gather some opinions from everyone on here. I'm obviously a jeep guy and will never get rid of my LJR, but would like to pick up another vehicle in the next year timeframe. I've narrowed it down to 2 options, but am having a real hard time deciding what route to take. My initial thought for the last couple years was a new wrangler, but lately I've been more on the longevity and reliability kick and it's been steering me away from Jeep. Plus I will still have my LJR. I also struggle with how expensive a new jeep is, in my opinion they are not worth the 50K price tag. Options are below. I would be keeping whichever vehicle for probably 10 years minimum.

New - 2024 - 25 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys (Sarge Green) - Approx. $52K OTD
Options: 2.0T motor, Automatic, Xtreme Recon Package, Soft Top
(Pretty much the only options over the base willys is the Xtreme Recon Package) Mostly want this for the 4.56 gearing from the factory and I do like the wheels with this package.
Warranty: 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain

OR

Used, hopefully Certified Preowned - 2022-2023 Lexus GX460 (Nori green) - Approx. $40K - 50K depending on mileage, but looking for no more than 25-30K.
V8 & Automatic
Only color option I would buy in this is Nori Green, which could make it hard to find.
Warranty based on Certified Preowned: 6 Years total from new / Unlimited mileage
Gas mileage is pretty bad, only downfall.

I think it comes down to what you want to use them for.
. I also struggle with how expensive a new jeep is, in my opinion they are not worth the 50K price tag.

Same perspective
Thats why I wont buy one NEW
Gently used , ~30K JLs are out there but you wont get that new OEM wider screen. Big deal tho , you can opt for aftermarket alot cheaper

Reactions: MaximusLJR06
I think it comes down to what you want to use them for.

Same perspective
Thats why I wont buy one NEW
Gently used , ~30K JLs are out there but you wont get that new OEM wider screen. Big deal tho , you can opt for aftermarket alot cheaper

The lexus would do everything the jeep could. Would mostly be logging roads in the mts while hunting.

I struggle with buying a used JL because I would want one that is on 35's and has the axle gearing already and I don't want to buy someone's frankinjeep. Not looking to buy another jeep to wrench on either, that's why I'm looking new with all factory options.

I was doing some reading on a JL forum and lots of conversation from JL owners on there saying how new wrangler sales are down 30% and most believe it's because the JL's entered luxury SUV pricing territory.

Yeah, that has me worried as well. Where the lexus has a proven v8 and transmission, just shitty gas mileage.

Yep, it’s hard to beat Toyota reliability. The new stuff from Stellantis just has too many issues. Not to mention they seem to deny a lot of warranty claims.

There is no denying Lexus reliability

Ive owned a few, and got 2 for my mother. My MIL drives one past 10 years, and my Aunt has my 1st one still.

26 years of the past ~30 years of JD Powers and Associates Vehicle Dependability Surveys after 3 years of ownership, Lexis has been #1, while EVERYTHING Chrysler has been bottom next to Land Rover. (This is why I was hesitant to buy a Jeep)

If you dont need 35’s and the Lexus gets it done
…..no brainer
I would have never got a new Jeep or a 4 door Jeep but then they put a Hemi in them.

I am looking into a higher mileage (depreciated) JL. You will save a fortune swappin an LTx into it, and build it how you want it

I just need to organize the info sources before I buy one

In my case it's really just very low expenses. I'm single and kids college is paid for.

Personally I’d be in a F150 Raptor before a hemi wrangler. I almost bought a raptor in 2017-18 and I’m kicking myself for not now. Could get them new for 55k then.