Treeman72

Hello to fellow TJ owners. I’m new to owning any Jeep. Bought my first one roughly 3 weeks ago. Have not had a chance to go off-road, as of yet.
From what I have read and seen when I was looking, I got lucky as this one has a little surface rust.

A little about me, I’m 46, getting started with a Jeep a little later than most. I have some mechanical ability but haven’t done much lately because I do not have a garage (yet). I have already read some great advice on here from members and looking forward to more. Also I am new to forums, so if I make mistakes let me know what they are so I can improve.

Now to what most on here want to hear about, the Jeep. It is a 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara edition with the 4.0 I6 automatic. From the build sheet it came with Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear axles with 3.07 ratio. The frame is solid. It was stock when I got it, have added a new front bumper from EAG with 3X3 led fog lights and a grill cover. Looking forward to all the mods that can be done to it.
Thanks for all the advice in advance,
Daryl
65B51857-CAF3-4310-908C-33DF3BAB1277.jpeg

1A2797E1-B576-4FF6-9BB6-F29864FC2DC4.jpeg

B1BABF4B-CD06-48C9-897D-5EC794F490E5.jpeg

Welcome to the club. My jeep started life with a 30/35 3.07 combo as well. My initial advice would be don't toss bigger tires on it until you can sort out the gear ratio. You will notice a dump in power right away. A cheaper alternative to re gearing is keeping your eyes out on your local craigslist for someone who is selling a set of axles with the ratio you want. If you find a 30/35 set its plug and play. A Rubicon set will require a bit of extra work such as shortening drive shafts.

Once again congratulations on the purchase. These things are really fun to wrench on. Only downside is your credit cards will be maxed out in no time once you get going. :risas3:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Thanks Alex01!
I have already figured out that it will be more expensive than just the purchase price. But I enjoy turning a wrench on the weekends or in the mornings before I go to work. Just got done changing the plugs.

Looks like a pretty clean and rust free TJ, that's the important thing.

Minus that grill, I like it! With a lift and some bigger tires, it should look great! I definitely agree with what @Alex01 said. I'd put new gearing in it well before bigger tires. 3.07 gears is the worst combo you can get with larger tires!

I like the look of the grill. Helps it stand out in a crowd. lol

About the gearing, I looked into it after @Alex01 had made the suggestion and I will definitely be doing something. I don’t think I want to go to a 4.11. Was thinking of a 2” inch lift and probably 33’s for tires.

Reactions: skrelnik
For your 3-speed automatic and 4.0L engine, you definitely want 4.10 gearing for your future 33's. That will give you the right highway rpms as well as working well for offroad. The usual recommendation for 33's is 4.56 but that's only appropriate for when the transmission is the 5-speed manual. By the way your 32RH 3-speed is a great transmission, I miss mine which was in my previous TJ. Make sure that it only gets ATF+4, no other type of ATF is correct for it. :)

Thanks to everyone on here for the great advice and patience to help every new Jeep owner that is willing to ask. I appreciate the input that @Alex01 and @Jerry Bransford have given about the lift and gear ratios. As for my Jeep the lift and regearing will be on the back burner for a few years. We are in the early planning stages of building a new house and garage. Although I will be doing little things to the Jeep to improve its look and durability and I’m sure I will be turning to all the great people here for advice.

Great looking TJ ! I also am NOT a fan of the "angry birds" grill but if you like it, rock on! Take your time on your mods and do it right with the help of the experts here.

Welcome aboard . We a renting a bus to come up and remove that grill.

I'm going to give you the perfect answer to all questions - whatever Jerry says. He's spot on about 100 percent of the time .

Regear as soon as you can afford to if you upsize tires . Get someone with experience . It's a must for big tires , the 4.0 just doesn't have the broad power band to compensate - it's an awesome engine when the gearing and rpm work together ....arguably one of the better engines the American automotive market has ever been blessed with ....but if you go bigger on tires it's going to feel puny and guzzle fuel.

Welcome aboard . We a renting a bus to come up and remove that grill.

I'm going to give you the perfect answer to all questions - whatever Jerry says. He's spot on about 100 percent of the time .

Regear as soon as you can afford to if you upsize tires . Get someone with experience . It's a must for big tires , the 4.0 just doesn't have the broad power band to compensate - it's an awesome engine when the gearing and rpm work together ....arguably one of the better engines the American automotive market has ever been blessed with ....but if you go bigger on tires it's going to feel puny and guzzle fuel.
Honestly with bigger tires even with a regear its going to guzzle fuel. I got 13 mpg with 33x10.5 and 4.10 gearing and get 13 mpg with 35s and 4.88 gearing.

But I measure in smiles per gallon. :p

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Man they do make us smile .

I went from 13 to 19, hwy, going but true gps Miles. Shocked me. 12.5 x 33" ko2 tires with 4.0 and manual 5 speed. I still can't get over it .

But it's the gearing I love , even if I had gained nothing on mileage.