Newbie [here and to Wranglers]

LincsLad

Hi all

Just bought my first Wrangler TJ, don't really know much about them but spent a month watching "Dirt Every Day" and "Ultimate Adventure" and had to have one.

Weather's not so good on chassis's over here so a lot of the TJ's have some sort of corrosion issue's, I opted for a Japanese import as steering wheels on the right side for us, they don't grit the roads and are usually low mileage.

This ones had any work done in Japan, I guess more for show than go but it makes me smile and I love driving it.
Obviously things to do so advice appreciated, I just thought it was a good start as it does seem rust free and only has 44k on the clock.

Here's a few pic's I think

P1010007.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010049.JPG

Those are some seriously wide flares. Never seen any that look like that. The fronts seem to utilize the factory side marker lights in 'em. I wonder what brand they are?

One thing I think you'll be hearing about is that body lift. It's pretty extreme, and I believe the general consensus is that anything over a 1" to 1.25" body lift (BL) is considered undesirable. Others will likely chime in as to why.

Sure is a beautiful rig. That spare has one wild looking rim, that's for sure. I rather like it, honestly. Welcome to the club!

Reactions: LincsLad
Hi and thanks for replying:)

Some here in the UK say I should be fitting spacers to bring the wheels out a bit? to be honest and remembering it's new to me, I like not having mud sprayed down the side of the Jeep when I've just washed it:oops:

I have measured 3" spacers between the body and chassis, does make it easier for jet washing the frame though. The spare is just plain crazy, saying that I wouldn't have minded having four more;)

Many thanks for the comments, it's how I'm gonna learn about these things!

Lot's more pic's here and feed back will be taken on board.

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/brianjbox/slideshow/Wrangler?sort=3

Remember guys, I bought it like this [think it's a Marmite thing, do you have that over there?]

Brian

Reactions: Squatch
Hi and thanks for replying:)

Some here in the UK say I should be fitting spacers to bring the wheels out a bit? to be honest and remembering it's new to me, I like not having mud sprayed down the side of the Jeep when I've just washed it:oops:

I have measured 3" spacers between the body and chassis, does make it easier for jet washing the frame though. The spare is just plain crazy, saying that I wouldn't have minded having four more;)

Many thanks for the comments, it's how I'm gonna learn about these things!

Lot's more pic's here and feed back will be taken on board.

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/brianjbox/slideshow/Wrangler?sort=3

Remember guys, I bought it like this [think it's a Marmite thing, do you have that over there?]

Brian
A 3" BL (body lift) is definitely not the norm over on this side of the pond. In fact, I can only think of maybe one other forum member who ever said he had that much of a BL (can't remember who it was, though). Those with more knowledge on such things will surely be able to educate you on the downfalls of it, I'm sure. Just know that there is a lot of experience and knowledge here. What you don't yet know, you can surely learn by reading and asking questions. It's a fantastic resource, full of really good people. You'll like it here. ;)

A 3" BL (body lift) is definitely not the norm over on this side of the pond. In fact, I can only think of maybe one other forum member who ever said he had that much of a BL (can't remember who it was, though). Those with more knowledge on such things will surely be able to educate you on the downfalls of it, I'm sure. Just know that there is a lot of experience and knowledge here. What you don't yet know, you can surely learn by reading and asking questions. It's a fantastic resource, full of really good people. You'll like it here. ;)

Hi again
I wouldn't of raised the body up 3" personally but now it's done is it worth dropping it back down? benefits for me being an old geezer is it's really easy to get to things underneath:lol:
I would imagine the biggest disadvantage would be raising the centre of gravity and going over on fast cornering or traversing steep slopes and big rocks, again I don't know this for certain but I think increasing wheel track [spacers] may counter some of this. I love seeing the top of the chassis rails, so easy to jet the mud off.

After I'd done the deal at the dealership the owner said "come this way, I have a present for you" he presented me with the tool kit, said it was quite rare and he took them out of all the imported Wranglers and hung on to them for the right customer, he must of liked me:)

Reactions: Squatch
Another member from the UK! Welcome aboard!

That's a great looking TJ in an excellent choice of colors.

I didn't even realize Japan got the TJ. Do they salt the roads over their in the UK?

Thanks for the welcome.

The UK dealers are importing hundreds of cars from Japan and a lot of them are TJ's you only have to look on ebayUK to find them, I don't mind as the three Jap imports I have had, have all been low mileage, rust free and the steering wheels on the right side for us:lol:

We are terrible for gritting/salting roads over here, we just can't handle a little snow or ice! Brings the whole country to a stand still when other countries would just treat it as nothing to worry about? Consequently all our motors suffer from rust, I believe the TJ's suffer on rails/frames and the wings/flares or arches [not sure of what you guys call them, maybe fenders?]

If you have seen the pic's in the link you will see my nice shiny black chassis, in due course I will have to smother it in some rust proofing gunk to try and keep it rust free, I'd much rather see it as it is but it won't last over here.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the welcome.

The UK dealers are importing hundreds of cars from Japan and a lot of them are TJ's you only have to look on ebayUK to find them, I don't mind as the three Jap imports I have had, have all been low mileage, rust free and the steering wheels on the right side for us:lol:

We are terrible for gritting/salting roads over here, we just can't handle a little snow or ice! Brings the whole country to a stand still when other countries would just treat it as nothing to worry about? Consequently all our motors suffer from rust, I believe the TJ's suffer on rails/frames and the wings/flares or arches [not sure of what you guys call them, maybe fenders?]

If you have seen the pic's in the link you will see my nice shiny black chassis, in due course I will have to smother it in some rust proofing gunk to try and keep it rust free, I'd much rather see it as it is but it won't last over here.

That's how it is in certain parts of the United States. They salt the roads like crazy, which equates to lots of rusted out vehicles, including TJs and other Jeeps.

Some places in the U.S. (like the West Coast) do not salt the roads fortunately, so we don't have to worry about this.

It sounds like you got a good, rust free TJ, so my best advice would be to try to avoid driving it when there is salt on the roads if possible!

It sounds like you got a good, rust free TJ, so my best advice would be to try to avoid driving it when there is salt on the roads if possible!

I had a pretty much rust free F150 before this and actually hosed/washed the chassis down every time I got back from using it, within year and a half there as brown rust spots coming through, I was gutted.

I will try and limit the use during these times but that means I'm in the GC, fortunately I've smothered that one in waxoyl;)