Newbie in Colorado: Advice on TJ Purchase

Lew Ladwig

Hi,
I am a old Willys jeep and Ford gpw guy.
I am looking for a more modern jeep for my wife to use in snowy wearher. She can drive a stick just fine. Looking for the 10k or less range. What is the best model to chase?
Thanks
Lew

Ideally you'd want a 4.0 model (6 cylinder), and that engine can be found in the X, Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon models.

There's nothing special about any of the models really with the exception of the Rubicon, which includes Dana 44 axles front and rear (stronger), a low crawl RocTrac transfer case, and air lockers in both the front and rear axles.

If you don't plan on modifying it too much (or getting to crazy with huge tires, lifts, etc.), then I would definitely suggest a Rubicon. The lockers themselves are a huge bonus in my opinion.

The other option on the non-Rubicon models is that some of them had Dana 44 rear axles as oppose to the standard Dana 35. If possible, the Dana 44 is a great thing to look for on used TJs since it gives you added strength and resale value.

Here's a thread you might find worth while to check out:
What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?

Reactions: Gregg1LE
Welcome from Colorado also! If its just a snow jeep and not a wheeling project, any jeep would be good. Like Chris said, rubicon lockers are nice, but an X with a winch will get you unstuck anywhere around here in the snow and be cheaper upfront.

Man I love Colorado.

Get a 4.0 liter TJ with no rust and decent miles ,drive for it if you need to. They are out there.