Newbie Jeeps Thread

lBasket

Branch Manager
Supporting Member
Hey all,
I've been planning what trails I want to hit when I'm out there, and I'm realizing that out of the 3 teams, there are a few days where I can't join any of the existing teams because of the early stage of my Jeep build. I figured it would help to be public with my plans, in case there are any others meeting up at TJ Fest whom have empty days in their schedule because of wanting/needing to avoid the more extreme trails planned by other teams.

I'll have a winch, tow hooks, a front lunchbox locker, and 31s for reference. I've never been to Moab, so I'm hoping for some collaboration on where to go for some of these days.

I will not be riding with Team Hyphen CO any days, because of their build requirements. You do you, boo.

I'm considering the follow trails planned by Team LJ and Team America as beyond my Jeep's build/my skill level:
  • Metal Masher
  • Behind the Rocks
  • Picture Frame Arc
  • Rusty Nail
  • Pritchett
  • Top of the World
  • Rose Garden Hill
  • Poison Spider
  • Golden Spike
  • Gold Bar Rim
  • Moab Rim

I'll be wheeling the 24th - 28th, and possibly the 29th depending on how bad I want to wheel then drive home. My current schedule looks like this:
DateTeamTrailsDifficultyNotesJeepers
4/24LJGemini Bridges, metal masherEasy, EasyBypasses throughout metal masher@lBasket
4/25AmericaHells Revenge, Fins and Things4-6, 6-8 (With bypasses)-
4/26

Coachyak​

Rainbow Terrace / Tower ArchMedium, HardMoab trail book says doable with a stock high clearance 4x4
4/27Newbie JeepHurrah Pass, Chicken Corners2-2, 3-3Easy trails, planned for 4/30 for Team LJ@lBasket
4/28LJPotash Rd/Shafer, Lathrop Canyon, White Rim2-2, 3-3, 3-3-
4/29Newbie Jeep?Might just be going home this day if we can't plan something exciting.@lBasket

Obviously I'm still in the works of planning, but maybe some of you know some other good easier/scenic routes to take. Let me know if you want to tag along I can add you to the list!

Trails I'm looking at currently for the 26 (I'm looking through Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, Charles Wells):
  • Fallen Peace Officer Trail (Medium)
  • Hidden Canyon Overlook (Medium)
  • Courthouse Rock (Medium)
  • Wipeout Hill Loop (Medium)

I don't know much about radios so I don't know how to set up a GMRS frequency for us. Thinking it won't matter as much with the easier trails I'm trying to plan.

Last edited:
You're not alone. Check out this thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/posts/854828/
May want to add your name. There are a few of us planning to connect to run 1-3 rated trails since we're built similarly.
I added my name today, guess I was thinking it might be easier if there was plans in one central spot rather than spread through a thread. Do you guys have any plans for days/routes yet, or just that you plan on getting together for some easier days?

Don't underestimate your builds, guys. Most trails have bypasses for the harder stuff and good tire placement will get you up the fun stuff. I'm doing the final review of the trails and I'll bet you won't have issues. I planned the LJ stuff to alternate easy and hard. The clue is to look at the low number which illustrates the bypasses.

Long Canyon is closed as of today (4/14). Large washed out section I was told. There was a barricade at the east end.

Long Canyon is closed as of today (4/14). Large washed out section I was told. There was a barricade at the east end.
Ah okay, that's a bummer. I was told there are bypasses on the hard stuff on metal masher so I'm going to try to follow along with the group on that trail now.

Have you looked into 7 Mile Rim?
I hadn't until now, looks like it would be a good trail to run. Have you done it before?

I will probably be in a lot of the same groups/trails as you given that I have similar size tires. I have done Rainbow Terrace before and would like to try Crystal Geyser this time.

Don't underestimate your builds, guys. Most trails have bypasses for the harder stuff and good tire placement will get you up the fun stuff.

Soooo, for instance. Top of the World. Doable on 33s and no lockers? I've watched some vids, and there does look to be a couple somewhat difficult spots.

My Jeep has to get me home, LOL.

Reactions: lBasket
Soooo, for instance. Top of the World. Doable on 33s and no lockers? I've watched some vids, and there does look to be a couple somewhat difficult spots.

My Jeep has to get me home, LOL.
I was with a 4 door JK that did it with no lockers but they did have 35's. You have a better wheelbase for smaller tires and it's only an inch of clearance difference. I didn't think the trail was that difficult, just a lot of ledges.

Reactions: Dino - KX6D
I was with a 4 door JK that did it with no lockers but they did have 35's. You have a better wheelbase for smaller tires and it's only an inch of clearance difference. I didn't think the trail was that difficult, just a lot of ledges.

This was the last one I watched. The silver TJ with at least a front locker....

Reactions: Fourplayntoo
Is it just me or does it seem like their tires are all at pretty high pressure for this rocky of a trail?
They do look firm.

I think the silver TJ needed a driver mod.

Need isarubicon to chime in and provide details.

Yeah honestly only 2 of the obstacles on that trail look like they'd be difficult for me on my tires I think. But only takes 1 spot I can't get through to stop me so not sure if it's the right idea. Definitely not as hard looking as I expected but it could also just be the camera angles...

Yeah honestly only 2 of the obstacles on that trail look like they'd be difficult for me on my tires I think. But only takes 1 spot I can't get through to stop me so not sure if it's the right idea. Definitely not as hard looking as I expected but it could also just be the camera angles...

At 19:58, there is an older gentleman with a Grand Cherokee that made it up there.

I don't need a picture of my Jeep up there. Truth be told, I am deathly afraid of heights. But if it's doable, then maybe it's worth giving it a shot.

Reactions: lBasket
At 19:58, there is an older gentleman with a Grand Cherokee that made it up there.

I don't need a picture of my Jeep up there. Truth be told, I am deathly afraid of heights. But if it's doable, then maybe it's worth giving it a shot.
Oh yeah you're right that GC doesn't look like it's got much of a lift, it might be doable. That would be fun I'm a sucker for good pics of my jeep

200.gif

Hey all,
I've been planning what trails I want to hit when I'm out there, and I'm realizing that out of the 3 teams, there are a few days where I can't join any of the existing teams because of the early stage of my Jeep build. I figured it would help to be public with my plans, in case there are any others meeting up at TJ Fest whom have empty days in their schedule because of wanting/needing to avoid the more extreme trails planned by other teams.

I'll have a winch, tow hooks, a front lunchbox locker, and 31s for reference. I've never been to Moab, so I'm hoping for some collaboration on where to go for some of these days.

I will not be riding with Team Hyphen CO any days, because of their build requirements. You do you, boo.

I'm considering the follow trails planned by Team LJ and Team America as beyond my Jeep's build/my skill level:
  • Metal Masher
  • Behind the Rocks
  • Picture FRame Arc
  • Rusty Nail
  • Pritchett
  • Top of the World
  • Rose Garden Hill
  • Poison Spider
  • Golden Spike
  • Gold Bar Rim
  • Moab Rim

I'll be wheeling the 24th - 28th, and possibly the 29th depending on how bad I want to wheel then drive home. My current schedule looks like this:
DateTeamTrailsDifficultyNotesJeepers
4/24LJGemini Bridges, metal masherEasy, EasyBypasses throughout metal masher@lBasket
4/25AmericaHells Revenge, Fins and Things4-6, 6-8 (With bypasses)-
4/26Newbie Jeep or LJ?Always the option to hit hells/fins a second time with Team LJ.@lBasket
4/27Newbie JeepHurrah Pass, Chicken Corners2-2, 3-3Easy trails, planned for 4/30 for Team LJ@lBasket
4/28LJPotash Rd/Shafer, Lathrop Canyon, White Rim2-2, 3-3, 3-3-
4/29Newbie Jeep?Might just be going home this day if we can't plan something exciting.@lBasket

Obviously I'm still in the works of planning, but maybe some of you know some other good easier/scenic routes to take. Let me know if you want to tag along I can add you to the list!

Trails I'm looking at currently for the 26 (I'm looking through Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, Charles Wells):
  • Fallen Peace Officer Trail (Medium)
  • Hidden Canyon Overlook (Medium)
  • Courthouse Rock (Medium)
  • Wipeout Hill Loop (Medium)

I don't know much about radios so I don't know how to set up a GMRS frequency for us. Thinking it won't matter as much with the easier trails I'm trying to plan.
I keep waffling on going out there. We’re vuilt about the same and I’m sure there are plenty of others in the max-31’s group who would be interested. Add in a dose of peer pressure and you’ll be wheeling level 6 trails before you know it.

Reactions: RINC