Newbie questions about shocks and springs

Red Dog

88M(30)
Supporting Member
For the past couple months I've been working on replacing/repairing as much as I can on my 1997 TJ Sport. Other than a few hints when looking at wiring things are pretty much still stock from the factory.

Lately I've noticed the ride to be bumpier/wobblier than usual. Realized the factory shocks and springs are 20 years old, and with 128,483 miles on her I'm guessing I'm probably over-due to change them out. Been reading up on the posts here about shocks and springs but was hoping to get some recent confirmation that I'm following things correctly.

So here's my questions:

- To keep things at factory/no-lift height I should look at shocks like the Rancho RS5000X, correct? I've also seen Bilsens recommended. I'd like to keep things as close to stock as possible as my TJ is my DD and mainly sees highway use more than anything else.

- I've seen that H&R 52107 springs will be close to factory height, but due to stiffness may give about a 1 inch lift, correct? If so, would there be any other components I'd need to change to compensate for the extra height?

- I won't be able to purchase both springs and shocks at the same time. Should I wait to install them at the same time, or would it be OK to install the shocks first (front and rear) and the springs at a later time?

- What, if any, other components will I need to replace or will things be OK using the Ranchos and H&R's with everything else still being stock from the factory?

Thank you in advance for any input any of you can provide :)

You should be fine just getting shocks. You'll have to unbolt one end of the shocks when you do change the springs, so you have a little added labor. If you want stock height springs you could just get some Moog replacements from Rock Auto or similar.

I just completed this Rancho / H&R set up. No other modications are needed. Results in a 1" lift increase in height. Not significantly noticable.
IMG_0213.JPG

Last edited:
That is a beautiful picture. Is it original or did you have to redo the paint?
The H&R springs come in the blue color. Ranchos are also their original color. I did spray 2 coats of clear enamal on the shocks n springs to help prevent future rusting. I cleaned up the TJ frame & brake drum and repainted them.

Reactions: skrelnik
You should be fine just getting shocks. You'll have to unbolt one end of the shocks when you do change the springs, so you have a little added labor. If you want stock height springs you could just get some Moog replacements from Rock Auto or similar.

I just completed this Rancho / H&R set up. No other modications are needed. Results in a 1" lift increase in height. Not significantly noticable.View attachment 94711

Thank you both for the information :)

Reactions: Capt'n