Newest horse in the stable - 2006 X (65th Anniversary)

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My first TJ bought almost a year ago was a complete disaster. Chalking it up to my own ignorance and not throwing the baby out with the bath water, I’m giving it another go. After selling the 1998 SE 2.5, I took a couple of weeks to assess what the market offered. Here’s what I found. It’s a 2006 X 4.0 Auto with the 65th Anniversary trim. 93,000 original miles through three owners. It was purchased about 30 miles from where I live when it was new and it’s never lived more than that distance.

Everything is as it came off the showroom, with the exception of a Sony head unit and those KC lights on the front bumper. It’s almost perfect—the driver seat doesn’t fold/tumble so I have to take it back in this week to have that addressed. Got a lifetime powertrain warranty on it since the miles were so low, which was a plus. What do you guys think?

1E52E2EC-1BDF-4A70-A861-E28F31D659F5.jpeg

12E98B60-49B6-4A0C-9B4F-DEA4A4BFCEB9.jpeg

F470CD29-9A36-4D1C-839B-666D3EEC9EEB.jpeg

E9D0FE6C-58C8-449C-BFC2-12F964229CB1.jpeg

Looks nice. Not all driver's seats fold and tumble, so be expecting that.
It should at least fold though, right? It has the upper bolster lever like the passenger seat and the door side of the seat acts as though it wants to pull forward, but the console side of the seat is bound up somehow.

Ever encountered anything like that?

It should at least fold though, right? It has the upper bolster lever like the passenger seat and the door side of the seat acts as though it wants to pull forward, but the console side of the seat is bound up somehow.

Ever encountered anything like that?
My seat back will fold forward and you can manually slide the seat forward. But not in the same motion. The rear of the seat doesn't lift up either.

My seat back will fold forward and you can manually slide the seat forward. But not in the same motion. The rear of the seat doesn't lift up either.
That’s how my 98 SE was. I’d be fine with that. Even the seat back won’t fold forward though.

Nice!

A few things to be aware of on the 06:
1. The OPDAs (looks like the bottom of a distributor) are prone to seizing. If you hear a laughing monkey sound, it needs to be replaced. I would check it at some point anyway.
2. The trans controller was integrated into the PCM for the auto and has issues. If it gives you problems, there is a vendor that has a fix for it.

Reactions: jrmcafee
The PCM vendor JKP is referring to is Wrangler Fix. At 93,000 miles, you could experience the issue in the near future (hard shift from 1st to 2nd when first starting out from cold). With the Wrangler Fix solution, it is nothing to worry about. Another common issue with the '06's is the gas overflow when filling the tank. A couple of easy fixes for that too....just do a search.

Very nice TJ you have there!

My first TJ bought almost a year ago was a complete disaster. Chalking it up to my own ignorance and not throwing the baby out with the bath water, I’m giving it another go. After selling the 1998 SE 2.5, I took a couple of weeks to assess what the market offered. Here’s what I found. It’s a 2006 X 4.0 Auto with the 65th Anniversary trim. 93,000 original miles through three owners. It was purchased about 30 miles from where I live when it was new and it’s never lived more than that distance.

Everything is as it came off the showroom, with the exception of a Sony head unit and those KC lights on the front bumper. It’s almost perfect—the driver seat doesn’t fold/tumble so I have to take it back in this week to have that addressed. Got a lifetime powertrain warranty on it since the miles were so low, which was a plus. What do you guys think?

View attachment 295810

View attachment 295811

View attachment 295812

View attachment 295813
My 65th looked a bit like that then it got dirty lol

Reactions: John Cooper
The PCM vendor JKP is referring to is Wrangler Fix. At 93,000 miles, you could experience the issue in the near future (hard shift from 1st to 2nd when first starting out from cold). With the Wrangler Fix solution, it is nothing to worry about. Another common issue with the '06's is the gas overflow when filling the tank. A couple of easy fixes for that too....just do a search.

Very nice TJ you have there!
Wow--talk about hitting the nail on the head! Experiencing both issues currently. Just had the trans flushed thinking it was time for maintenance and that was the reason for the hard shift from 1-2. Would love to know more.

The fuel filling issue has been definitely maddening. With my 98 2.5, the PO had jacked it sky-high and hadn't properly lengthened the fuel neck so I wasn't surprised. In this instance, I've really been scratching my head about why I couldn't get a clean, uninterrupted fill. Love to hear more about the solution here.

The fuel filling issue has been definitely maddening. With my 98 2.5, the PO had jacked it sky-high and hadn't properly lengthened the fuel neck so I wasn't surprised. In this instance, I've really been scratching my head about why I couldn't get a clean, uninterrupted fill. Love to hear more about the solution here.
this is the OG utube clip for "the fix":

Congrats!

CLEAN!

I hope you enjoy it!

Wow--talk about hitting the nail on the head! Experiencing both issues currently. Just had the trans flushed thinking it was time for maintenance and that was the reason for the hard shift from 1-2. Would love to know more.

There are so many threads out there about the hard shift issue it will make your head spin. Save yourself a LOT of reading and call Mark at Wrangler Fix to discuss the symptoms you are having. He is a fantastic guy. Most likely, you are looking at a PCM replacement from him in the $500-$700 range. It's a 15 minute DIY install.

Here's a link to the overflow fix. Two methods out there....drop the gas tank and fix the problem at the source or replace/adapt the filler hose to add a flapper. I did the latter and it works great.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-gas-overflow-fix.244/