Newish and just found this site

Cole

TJ Enthusiast
Fairly new to this site, but so far it's been a god send. Granted, my bank account has felt it since joining this site, and the lady calls it the "Jeep chatroom".... Purchased beginning of last summer. Didn't do much to it last year outside of drive it around and enjoy the hell out of 'er. I'm pretty naive when it comes to anything Jeep related, so it's been slow going, but starting to accomplish things at the end of winter/spring this year.

1998 Wrangler - 4 speed auto
116 on the odometer as it sits today
Some rust issues being from MN (I store it in the winter, not sure about the PO's, although it's for sure seen it's fair share of salt)
So far I've
- Updated headlights
- New HU, speakers and small sub
- LED dash/foot well/soundbar lights
- LOTS of cleaning the interior
- Cleaned up the throttle body and IAC, it was very dirty.

Planned this summer (no shop myself, so the "real" work will need to wait until later this year)
- Replace BB with new springs/shocks
- Replace U-joints
- Transmission is leaking a bit, need to fix
- Steering Gear box needs to be replaced as well, small leak

upload_2018-4-3_16-17-55.png

First day I got it!

upload_2018-4-3_16-18-29.png

Corn fields, side by side trails and a river

upload_2018-4-3_16-19-39.png

Most recent!

Love it! Can't wait for summer to get here to pop the top off again!

Wow, now that is a beauty you’ve got there. I never get tired of a red TJ!

Reactions: Cole
Nice looking rig! Congratulations and welcome.
What sub did you choose and how is it?
Thanks!

I got the Rockford Fosgate PS-8. It is better than advertised and I love it. It's way more than I needed, and right now it's smashed under the rear seat. Haven't heard it with the soft top off yet, but truly very impressed with it. Wouldn't go any bigger, that's for sure!!

Crutchfield price matches with amazing too, so for a $300 sub I got it and 12 foot cable for $197.

Reactions: JMT and Duke-TJ
Hopefully they are that beautiful underneath mine too. Gotta wash the cover ASAP! We'll see!
I don't think you have much rust underneath, just forget about the cosmetics for now, I suggest you change all the fluids first. Do it the right way, no shortcuts, I think 5 of them. Then the suspensions like ball joints, etc. all the zerks that you can find. I think 7 zerk fittings.

Last edited:
Welcome! My fav color and fav sub! Awesome!

I don't think you have much rust underneath, just forget about the cosmetics for now, I suggest you change all the fluids first. Do it the right way, no shortcuts, I think 5 of them. Then the suspensions like ball joints, etc. all the zerks that you can find. I think 7 zerk fittings.
Outside of the usual fluids under the hood/oil... How difficult is it to change out other fluids? i.e. transfer case..

Welcome to the forum! Clean looking rig you got!

Fluid changes are pretty straight forward. For the diffs, you'll need to pull the covers to drain the old gear oil. Get a tube of Ultra Grey RTV to seal up the covers after cleaning them. Transfer case has a drain and fill plug on the back of the TC. Fashion some cardboard to channel the fluid from dumping on the bottom of your TC skid plate. You should also flush the brake fluid and the coolant.