Nicknames can be offensive

JEEPCJTJ

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland
Seeing this reply in my other thread (I x'ed out the word here because it is irrelevant to this thread) got me thinking about titles and nicknames.

My kid has a really bad wheat/ corn/ grain allergy. I call him a "xxxxxxx" all the time. So I guess I'm offending gluten sensitives and retards :confused:

My first son (unmarried mother) is named Alexander Jay. He's been called Alex his whole life and he thought his middle name was Zander at a very young age.

My other two kids (only wife ever) are Elizabeth Dana and Matthew James. The wife liked using their proper names and I had no problem with that although I tried using Beth a couple times and got nowhere. Both of these kids names we shortened to Liz and Matt in their first couple days of kindergarten by their teachers that apparently get taught how to speak by kindergarteners (another story itself?). The Matt doesn't bother me but I had trouble with Liz because the few Liz(s) I knew were all real bitches while the two Beths were almost perfect. Early on Liz spelled her name with two z(s) which I figured was better that the bitchy Liz(s) but the teacher fixed that in short order and what kindergartener would trust daddy more than a teacher? (OMG! there is another story).

Anyway I did a search of nicknames and the second site to come up was This Annoying Name-Shortening Habit Needs To Stop from ScareyMommy

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: astjp2 and Chris
I thought the author was a little too sensitive about the issue. If you didn't raise a snowflake, let them sort it out when they get older.
Personally, I never gave a damn what you called me as long as it wasn't late for dinner.

Reactions: mushdogs
Oops I posted that a little early.

But anyway that article is one of the most offensive things I've read in the last few weeks.
I read it. Now I feel completely chastised and repentant for calling my wife Becky or Bec for the last 30 yrs. I’m going to call her Rebecca properly from now on. Man, what an insensitive ass I’ve been all these years. So glad we named our son with something Gaelic that can’t be shortened and spared him that shame and ignominy.

• Haha
Reactions: DEValken
Everyone's just too precious these days. Best nickname I ever heard, Cocknose. Honest. You better have a thick skin and a good sense of humor if you're gonna live around here.

Reactions: TJ2 and Tomcat
If the person likes it, cool. But if the person likes to be called bytheir complete name, nothing wrong with that either. I dont have a second name and dint gave one to my daughter. I hate it when people try to make my name short. I called my Daughter by her full name too.

Lol I grew up on a Military base, have worked in law enforcement, and worked in the offshore oil industry. (Not a roughneck) There isn't a word that can be phonetically pronounced in the English language (and several other languages) that I haven't been called at some point or another. Even when someone is trying to be offensive it's still sometimes funny.

Reactions: DEValken and TJ2
Is this really an issue now? People can't just call each other the name someone introduces themselves by...? That article just seemed like the author saw one person shorten a name and decided that it is a new issue that happens all the time.

I also don't remember a time I wasn't called JD. It is weird when people call me James and half the time I don't respond.

I read it. Now I feel completely chastised and repentant for calling my wife Becky or Bec for the last 30 yrs. I’m going to call her Rebecca properly from now on. Man, what an insensitive ass I’ve been all these years. So glad we named our son with something Gaelic that can’t be shortened and spared him that shame and ignominy.
Some can call your son Ga or even Gae. Maybe Gaeil?

I don't really give a shit how people calls other people.
I'm most offended by people that easily gets offended by other people.

When someone calls you a "dick", they meant Charles. But do we have to translate all these shortened names? That's gay!

Last edited:
  • Haha
My mother wanted me called by my full first name, it was a big deal to her.

When I was growing up, if a friend called the house and asked for Rob instead of Robert she'd tell them they had the wrong number and hang up.

My last name is Jumonville (it's a French Louisiana thing).

I grew up with my last name being butchered more than most can imagine.

Eventually it earned me the nickname "Jummy" and "Jumanji".

For whatever reason, my dad was called Jim growing up despite his proper name being Leon. When I was born the folks decided that since they named me James, having two “Jims” would be one Jim too many. So they deliberately nicknamed me Jay. Only reason I think I learned my name was James was that was what I was called just before getting my hide tanned.

I worked with a couple of father/son pairs. One was called Sam and Sam Jr., but their real names were Lew. The other pair was called Bull and Bull Jr., but their real names were Charles.

I'm not a Jr., but my parents called me by my middle name. My father went by his middle name. Not a big deal, but I got a lot of confusion with teachers, DMV, etc. My son goes by his first name.

I don't give a darn what my friends and family call me. My siblings call me Artie, at work I am Art, my oldest friends call me Arthur (used my full name for a nickname). In the UAE I'm called Mr. Art. My kids used to call me Artie, but switched to Dad when they got older. As long as people keep calling me, I am happy.

Reactions: TJ2
My middle name is Lawrence, and when that was found out while I was active duty everyone started calling me "Larry". That then turned to "Harry", which turned into "Hairy Dick". People called me "Hairy Dick" for waaaaaay longer than was necessary. Sometimes these things just happen.

I call my 5 year old girl Dumpster Rat because she doesn't like to comb her curly red hair often enough to keep it from being a tangled mess. So far she likes it.

If I can't pronounce your name you are now Alphabet. If I can pronounce your name and we're friends I'm going to make something else up anyway. Someone has to be the ahole, I'm a believer of stepping up...