Nitro / phos 12/24/12

TJ Starting

The Seven Slots of the World
Supporting Member
Thought I would start a build thread here to kind of document my time spent on my TJ.

First, this is my first vehicle and ironically up until about 5 months ago I thought jeeps were way overrated. But as I was browsing for a vehicle, my cousin bought a red YJ. He bought it from a older gentleman that he was working for, at a price to good to pass. I went with him to pick it up and rode back with him, I was changed and began looking for a TJ and also spent many hours reading on this forum for which I am so grateful. So Febuary 5, went to north Houston with my Dad and purchased my treasure.
This is the evening I bought it...

Admittedly, if i knew then what I know know I prolly would have waited a little more and bought one in a little better general condition. But I'm not gonna let that make me unsatisfied, in the end I will prolly have more experience because of it.
So at the moment....
1998 Sport
4.0 with AX-15
Dana 30 and 35 with 3.73 gears. Also important, at this time i have no a.c.
Paint is also in terrible condition to the point were I don't like to wash it because it makes it so obvious. This is saying a lot because I love washing and detailing vehicles.
PO...
Horrid 3 inch body lift and neaely worn out Dunlop Radial 33×12.50r15. Flowtech Raptor with factory pipe. Also had front and rear chrome tube bumpers.

So far I have replaced the front bumper with one from EAG and removed the rear. I am in the process of building my own rear bumper, and just got in (hopefully) all the parts I need to install the a.c. system. So that comes first. Also removed all the aluminium armor and have done some work on the interior.

As it sits right now...

O, I did also pasti-dip the wheels. I did it just to see how it would look, and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would but it has kind of grew on me. I am debating buying new wheels also when I buy new tires and then also getting a matching spare. As I don't have one right now.

So we will be making a trip to Westcliffe Colorado this coming August . We have been on several trips to assorted places in Colorado over the last several years, and it has almost became another home.

My plan is to hopefully get the lift on before we leave, also would be nice to get a winch, need new tires, and other assorted small things before hand.
I am planing on getting the Zone 4" and JKS disconnects. I would later like to get a SYE to take care of the the drop transfer case. This is my DD and I don't have a huge budget but trying to leave a path for future upgrades.

Last edited:
So last night I started getting serious with the a.c. install. I had previously bolted the compressor in temporarily.

I ordered all the (coming to the part were I didn't order all the parts) parts from rockauto. These are from last night.

Getting the heater box out turned out to be quite a bigger job them I had anticipated, but got it out. 😥

So it looks like I'm missing the control panel for a.c. (the thing with the knobs lol), the vacuum actuator for the fresh air door, the vacuum lines for that actuator and whatever else that entails, and the fresh air door itself. And now I am lost. Not sure where to start looking for these^^ parts. Not sure what I'm gonna need to finish the vacuum actuator part of that. I have been searching YouTube with very little success. I know the instruction are on jeep air but some of that is still a little unclear for me

Maybe I missed something, but what does the thread title mean? Nitro / phos 12/24/12?

Ummm.... dont ask, because I don't know myself. Well I mean I kind of do but not really. I got it off a fertilizer bag and im $h!t at names, sorry!!!!! Also I'm pretty sure no one else has it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AirborneTexasRanger
I like what you have done so far... and so glad you removed the
aluminium armour as well.
Great to see your getting stuck into the AC side of things....you'll know every inch of your TJ before you know it.

So the rest of my order got dropped today. As in the parts for the a.c. Of course inevitably I messed up trying to follow part numbers and managed to get the wrong vacuum actuator.:mad: But I got the box opened up. I need to grab some replacement foam to. So back to eBay it is. I'm not sure if its worth trying resale or return the $24 Dorman actuator.:cautious:

I'm learning something new here. I've never ventured behind the dash really, so all these parts are foreign to me.

I don't envy you. I'm not even sure where I would start with all those parts.

I am calling this thread "the fertilizer build thread" though :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: TJ Starting
I had to laugh when I noticed that your very first picture had a Wells Fargo bank in the background. Yeah, because you'll be getting very familiar with withdrawing money from some form of baking institution, now that you own one of these! Also, your second picture has a "TJ Maxx" sign in the background. Gonna name your little rig "Maxx"? Somehow seems appropriate, given the picture. ;)