nk24's 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

I just redid my engine cooling system. And aside from it not boiling over when I'm sitting idle for 10+ minutes on a 85degree or higher day. No change. The temp gauge still sits a little to the right during the day. I just shrug. Guess that's where it's supposed to ride. I feel better knowing it's all fresh and done right.
It stayed just left of the dot on the first trip today, about 20 minutes, with the A/C running. Hopefully that will continue.

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
And it's probably"hotter" where you are. Shade doesn't offer much relief out west. But here it's llike soup. With 50% or higher humidity a lot of the time

I bought the Antirock used, and the links were shortened by the previous owner. They never gave me an issue, but since we were planning on hitting some trails in Colorado, I decided to swap them out for standard length links (8.5"). I didn't want to be flexed and have the link invert.

Before (during initial install):
antirock1.JPG

After:
antirock3.JPG

Reactions: TJ Starting
My wife and I got married a few weeks ago and we spent last week on our honeymoon in SW Colorado. Our first stop was Telluride, taking the gondola to the top of the hill and walking down the Telluride Trail. Then we drove to the far east end of town, where you can see the switchbacks of Black Bear Pass. We didn't take Black Bear on this trip, but we'd like to next time.

IMG_1829.JPG

In the afternoon, we took a trail to Alta Lakes and Gold King Basin. Easy trail to the top, moderate trail around the lakes and to the basin. Top of the trail is about 11,000 feet. Spectacular fall colors everywhere, couldn't have timed our trip better.

Alta Lakes:

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1832.jpeg

Gold King Basin:

IMG_1842.jpeg

IMG_1847.jpeg

On the way down:

IMG_8405.jpeg

Reactions: Vasq and ranger101
Imogene Pass from Telluride to Ouray is an amazing trail, probably my favorite to date. There is beauty around every curve and the sheer drop off cliffs get your heart pounding. It's a thrilling trail, but the driver must keep their eyes on the trail. Sitting on the passenger side, my wife was looking down the cliff with white knuckles most of the way to the top. West of the pass, the trail has no real obstacles other than the drop offs. The portion just east of the pass is definitely the most difficult, no matter which way you are going. Loose rocks and steep, off-camber sections. There are a couple of fun climbs and descents; the combination of 5.13 gears and 4:1 low gearing really shined going up and down the steep slopes. We had the trail to ourselves most of the way and the weather was perfect. We took the trail on Wednesday, which was not by accident. It was nice to be able to stop in several places to get out, take some photos, and take in the amazing scenery.

Social Tunnel:
Imogene-01.jpeg

Overlooking the basin on the west side:
Imogene-02.jpeg

On top looking west (36° and strong winds!):
Imogene-03.jpeg

Just east of the pass. Doesn't look like much, but the photo doesn't do it justice. Once the front tires were over the rock on the left, it felt like we were pointed straight down. Scraped the gas tank skid on the rock.
Imogene-04.jpeg

East side of the pass on the way down:
Imogene-05.jpeg
Imogene-06.JPG
Imogene-07.jpeg
Imogene-08.jpeg
Imogene-09.jpeg
Imogene-10.jpeg
Imogene-11.jpeg

Overhang:
Imogene-12.jpeg

Peak fall color:
Imogene-13.jpeg
Imogene-14.jpeg

Capped off the day with some brews from Ouray Brewery:
Imogene-15.jpeg

For the past several weeks I have not been able to start my Jeep. It all began when I backed it out of my garage and flipped it around so I could put my hard top back on. I stopped and turned it off before I got into the garage so I could take off the spiderweb shade. When I tried to start it again, it didn’t do anything. Cluster worked and lights and radio came on. No clicks, no crank.

I thought it was odd that it had just started a moment before. Maybe it could be a dead battery or a seized starter. I tried several tests with a multimeter based on a few posts on the forum and everything checked out fine. I figured it was the starter and was about to order one before I decided to try one more thing. I hooked a wire directly from the batter to the starter, which caused it to crank, so the starter was ok.
I found a video with the exact same issue and it turned out to be the ignition actuator under the steering wheel. Sure enough, when I dug in there I found this:

C3233DA3-BF2A-435B-8981-1AB72317CFE5.jpeg

Thankfully it was a fairly straightforward fix and that I didn’t order a starter. I also replaced the ignition switch while I was in there, since it was only an additional $13.

I would write a how-to about this fix, but honestly the video is so thorough I’ll just post the link:

So thankful to be back in the Jeep after several frustrating weeks!

Reactions: Vasq
Gee, my stuff never fails in my driveway :(. Good find and thanks for sharing.

Reactions: nk24
Gee, my stuff never fails in my driveway :(. Good find and thanks for sharing.
I can’t believe how lucky I was to be in my driveway when that happened. My wife and I talked about how that could have happened without warning when we were on Imogene Pass in Colorado a few months ago. So fortunate.

Yep, that what usually happens. But something like what u found is a great nugget to remember while enjoying the view and pondering the next move.

other forums also say that sometimes a bad ign switch can make ur locker lights flash when there really locked...

if that happens in a parkin lot or something, is it possible to put the Ignition in the On position a start the starter with a cable from the battery, or that would not work?

if that happens in a parkin lot or something, is it possible to put the Ignition in the On position a start the starter with a cable from the battery, or that would not work?
I wondered the same thing. I’m not entirely sure and I didn’t let it crank long enough to fully turn over.

Reactions: Jramos013
Spent longer than I care to admit trying to adjust my Savvy cable shifter today. The last few times off road it popped out of 4 low, once on a pretty decent climb.

I think when I installed it I had the shift handle at 4L, but the transfer case lever may have moved to N when I removed the old linkage. Pulling the handle all the way back was just barely getting it to 4 low and hitting a bump could easily jar it loose. After a driveway test cycling through all the modes I think it is better now. Tomorrow will be the real test.

Reactions: Chris and Vasq
Spent longer than I care to admit trying to adjust my Savvy cable shifter today. The last few times off road it popped out of 4 low, once on a pretty decent climb.

I think when I installed it I had the shift handle at 4L, but the transfer case lever may have moved to N when I removed the old linkage. Pulling the handle all the way back was just barely getting it to 4 low and hitting a bump could easily jar it loose. After a driveway test cycling through all the modes I think it is better now. Tomorrow will be the real test.

I had a hell of a time installing mine too. Ran into the exact same issues you are describing to the T. I played around with the adjustments enough that I finally got it figured out, but unfortunately there was no easy answer other than simply playing around with the adjustments until I got it where it needed to be.

Not looking forward to doing it again on this new TJ :rolleyes:

Reactions: nk24
In the afternoon, we took a trail to Alta Lakes and Gold King Basin. Easy trail to the top, moderate trail around the lakes and to the basin. Top of the trail is about 11,000 feet. Spectacular fall colors everywhere, couldn't have timed our trip better.

Alta Lakes:

View attachment 118815

View attachment 118816

Gold King Basin:

View attachment 118817

View attachment 118818

On the way down:

View attachment 118819

Is this in Arizona? Northern Arizona I would assume?

I had a hell of a time installing mine too. Ran into the exact same issues you are describing to the T. I played around with the adjustments enough that I finally got it figured out, but unfortunately there was no easy answer other than simply playing around with the adjustments until I got it where it needed to be.

Not looking forward to doing it again on this new TJ :rolleyes:
To make it harder for myself, I didn’t remove the TC skid. Mostly because I have a Skid Row engine skid attached and I didn’t want to hassle with taking both of those off. I did remove the front driveshaft.

On top of that, it was blazing hot in my non-insulated, detached garage. I need to put a fan in there to circulate some air.