nk24's 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

To make it harder for myself, I didn’t remove the TC skid. Mostly because I have a Skid Row engine skid attached and I didn’t want to hassle with taking both of those off. I did remove the front driveshaft.

On top of that, it was blazing hot in my non-insulated, detached garage. I need to put a fan in there to circulate some air.

I hear you on that. I have a bunch of parts I need to install on my TJ, but it's just too hot in the garage for me to want to tackle it right now. I'm thinking I'll wait until fall.

Mine was a lot easier (the shifter cable install) because I took the skid off. I can't even imagine doing it with the skid on 😲

I hear you on that. I have a bunch of parts I need to install on my TJ, but it's just too hot in the garage for me to want to tackle it right now. I'm thinking I'll wait until fall.

Mine was a lot easier (the shifter cable install) because I took the skid off. I can't even imagine doing it with the skid on 😲
Imagine being on your back with one arm around the front of the skid holding a rachet and the other arm around the back side of the skid holding a wrench while looking through the small hole in the skid trying to figure out why the socket won’t stay on the bolt. More than a few F-bombs were dropped today 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Vasq
Imagine being on your back with one arm around the front of the skid holding a rachet and the other arm around the back side of the skid holding a wrench while looking through the small hole in the skid trying to figure out why the socket won’t stay on the bolt. More than a few F-bombs were dropped today 😂

Haha, I've been in somewhat similar situations, so I can relate. Talk about a pain in the ass. Probably had to drink 3 gallons of water to keep from dying too! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: nk24
You're alive!! 😁
On top of being very busy with work (from home since March) and everything else going on at the moment, my wife and I adopted a rescue puppy. She turned out to be very aggressive at times and kept us so busy for several weeks that we were both exhausted every day. I had a multi week stretch where I didn’t drive the Jeep, visit the forum, or do anything Jeep related. Our normal routines (as normal as they can be with the current situation) were gone. Thankfully work is back to a regular pace and the dog has been at obedience school for a week, with two more to go. We are just hoping that the obedience training works.

On top of being very busy with work (from home since March) and everything else going on at the moment, my wife and I adopted a rescue puppy. She turned out to be very aggressive at times and kept us so busy for several weeks that we were both exhausted every day. I had a multi week stretch where I didn’t drive the Jeep, visit the forum, or do anything Jeep related. Our normal routines (as normal as they can be with the current situation) were gone. Thankfully work is back to a regular pace and the dog has been at obedience school for a week, with two more to go. We are just hoping that the obedience training works.
Good on you for taking the time and making the investment to get the pooch trained. Last one we adopted had some behavior issues. Two weeks of training at a school took care of most of it. And, I will say, the little bit of slippage he's had is probably more on me and my wife vs him. Good luck with the Dog!

I'm just teasing ya 😜 I've dropped off for weeks too.
Good on you for the rescue and the time/effort to work with him to get the habits out. Too many people don't take the time in situations like that.

Box Canyon near Florence from a few weekends ago:
BoxCanyon01.jpeg

Wired in some independent switches for the Rubicon lockers. Will be nice to be able to disengage the rear when I need to turn. I’m colorblind, so it’s damn near impossible for me to tell some of the wires apart, but thankfully the how-to guide pointed to the PIN numbers along with the wire colors.

Advice for those looking to do this: look at the back side of the panel before you drill the 1/2” hole for the switch. There are some protruding pieces that will be in the way of the switch body if they are drilled in wrong position.

Tap splices into the locker wiring:
DAF8833C-24BB-42FD-A63F-E8596E901458.jpeg

Final product:
A811B5B6-38E2-4833-BB98-2B09B71616A5.jpeg

Front locked, rear unlocked:
AEAAE5AD-0068-420D-8DD2-2134C9B497B5.jpeg

Reactions: Vasq and zebra12
Earlier this week I found an OEM soft top with all the parts (frame, cloth, tinted windows, door surrounds, and tailgate bar) for a smoking deal on Craigslist. He didn’t have the frame fasteners, though, so I ordered a set of Bestop quick connectors. I’ve never had a soft top for either of my TJs but have wanted to try one. I like the idea of having it up on the highway and putting it down for the trail. I’m still working on my half door restoration project which should fit perfectly with the soft top. I’d love to find some hard uppers with sliders for the half doors to complete the look.
891FE650-4E4E-4D81-B798-7F03712DA79D.jpeg

Last edited:
Also picked up some Black Magic brake pads and Centric rotors. Waiting for a Motive power bleeder to arrive before installing, hopefully next weekend.
FC560A76-8EF2-40C6-A53E-41F5025C7334.jpeg

Got the new-to-me soft top on over the weekend. It's in pretty good shape, especially considering the deal I got on it. The side windows look practically new, but the rear window is sorta rough and needs some help. Still trying to get the rear window to come off. The zipper doesn't want to come off on the left side. Had an issue with the rear straps getting twisted up. I fiddled around with it for a long time trying to get them untwisted before finally figuring it out.

Haven't taken it for a spin yet, but I'm curious how the noise levels will feel compared to the hard top.

softtop1.JPG
softtop2.JPG
softtop3.JPG

Wish I could find a soft top in that color! Bestop really should make them in that color, but they don't.

Wish I could find a soft top in that color! Bestop really should make them in that color, but they don't.
You don't see many of them this color. The guy I bought it from had a 2004 khaki TJ as well. Must have been an option at the time because my build sheet says it originally came with a black soft top in addition to the hard top.

You don't see many of them this color. The guy I bought it from had a 2004 khaki TJ as well. Must have been an option at the time because my build sheet says it originally came with a black soft top in addition to the hard top.

I believe it must have been an option at the time. What sucks is once it wears out, it will be damn hard to find another unfortunately.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/d/sun-city-west-jeep-tj-soft-top/7217638756.htmlDescription claims it is a khaki top, photo is a bit hard to tell because of the lighting. Doesn't specify which brand aftermarket top.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/d/glendale-tj-jeep-soft-topkhakifactory/7212749248.htmlBrand new OEM Mopar khaki top in the box for $450.