No comment necessary

DHunt

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
You know who you are.
upload_2018-10-14_17-28-57.png

Thank you for that, we all need to care about keeping our wheeling areas clean!

I formed a group last year to help keep one of SoCal's greatest wheeling areas clean... https://www.facebook.com/groups/934702753360844/?ref=bookmarks

I just got back a couple hours ago from another cleanup we had there yesterday.

It always amazes me how people just throw stuff out of their windows when they drive, be it cigarette butts, trash, cans, etc. I knew someone who actually had their backseat get caught on fire because some idiot threw out a cigarette!

Reactions: skrelnik
I just thought it was funny. If you're driving so far over your head you're leaving parts scattered...well. Especially broken egos and stock Jeeps.

It always amazes me how people just throw stuff out of their windows when they drive, be it cigarette butts, trash, cans, etc. I knew someone who actually had their backseat get caught on fire because some idiot threw out a cigarette!

The cigarette butts were a problem that seems to be getting better, at least where I grew up.
When you get off the freeway about a mile from where my mom still lives there used to be a ton of butts people would toss out of their driver window while waiting to turn left. I'd estimate about 6 to 8 sq ft of butts if you moved them all together. Considering there wasn't much traffic and hardly any wait time due to just a stop sign, it really worried me almost 10 years ago when they decided a traffic light was necessary. Well here we are now and I'm surprised if I see more than one or two butts there at all.

The cigarette butts were a problem that seems to be getting better, at least where I grew up.
When you get off the freeway about a mile from where my mom still lives there used to be a ton of butts people would toss out of their driver window while waiting to turn left. I'd estimate about 6 to 8 sq ft of butts if you moved them all together. Considering there wasn't much traffic and hardly any wait time due to just a stop sign, it really worried me almost 10 years ago when they decided a traffic light was necessary. Well here we are now and I'm surprised if I see more than one or two butts there at all.
Probably a result of the decline in smoking overall. It's becoming pretty rare in a lot of places to see people smoking cigarettes. A lot of people either quit or just switched to vaping.

I'm just glad I never started. I visited my dad, down in Tx the other day and apparently he started up again for the first time in years. I could tell from the moment I got in his truck because it smelled like shit, lol.

I agree Equilibrium31, I don't see many cigarette butts at our cleanups. I remember picking up one cigarette butt and about 10,000 shotgun shells (every time) in additional to all the other usual trash. Broken beer bottles, old mattresses, tires, shot up computers, etc.

Its funny that the people who need the outdoors the most (shooters) leave the most trash. Every time I go shooting i pick up so much brass. I have not had to buy brass in 15 years of reloading.

Unless something falls off the jeep/4x4/utv/atv and you don't notice. There is never an excuse for leaving behind anything. Maybe your wife but thats another thing.

I remember the first year or two driving my brand new Jeep and cringing when I saw people tossing cigarette butts out on the roads thinking one will bounce up and land on my soft top.

Growing up in the 70's I remember things being much trashier than they are now, seemed more 'acceptable' back then, reminds me of this classic PSA that ran throughout the decade:

Oh damn, I completely forgot about that ad! It's original airing was a bit before my time, but I still remember it being referenced quite a bit.

Growing up as a kid in San Antonio, this was the campaign I remember the most:
250px-Donotmesswithtexas.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Mess_with_Texas

Reactions: TJ2 and Spaztrick
Do a bit of international travel and you’ll come back thinking America is very clean. Jordan, for example, you wouldn’t believe. It’s the highways, but not just. Everywhere, every field, every few feet theres a piece of trash. Part of it is cultural and part is infrastructure, which are related.

I’m not trying to excuse Americans. We pack out what we pack in, and usually a little more. But our trails are usually clean.

Things we find are Jeep parts. I’ve picked up a Wix fuel filter brand new in box? A rubber snubber off some other rig, et al.

Growing up in the 70's I remember things being much trashier than they are now, seemed more 'acceptable' back then, reminds me of this classic PSA that ran throughout the decade:

You know what's amazing about this Indian ...iron eyes Cody? He ain't an Indian , he's an Italian from Louisiana.

If she's stock she's a keeper.
She can only be called original once in her life. No boobs job. No face lift. She aged gracefully with patina rusts! Underbelly rms oil leak, very sexy!

Last edited:
Its funny that the people who need the outdoors the most (shooters) leave the most trash. Every time I go shooting i pick up so much brass. I have not had to buy brass in 15 years of reloading.

Unless something falls off the jeep/4x4/utv/atv and you don't notice. There is never an excuse for leaving behind anything. Maybe your wife but thats another thing.
I used to mow and weedeat a spot on our creekbank at the end of a dead end road into our property. People would shoot at the creek and leave their brass. I would go check every couple days and get good 223 brass and other calibers.

People are wasteful, plain and simple.

Sort of inactive thread for a bit. But I love that sign
I hate to see people litter, I was a boy scout and the only thing I toss out my windows is liquid (emptying drinks n whatnot/spit) and I roll my own smokes, American spirit pouches of tobacco. I'll toss them in my backyard and watch after it rains they literally disintegrate. Just tobacco, and unbleached paper.

I agree Equilibrium31, I don't see many cigarette butts at our cleanups. I remember picking up one cigarette butt and about 10,000 shotgun shells (every time) in additional to all the other usual trash. Broken beer bottles, old mattresses, tires, shot up computers, etc.

The shotgun shells are a common problem, and it really bothers me. It is such a simple exercise to pick up the 5-8 shells you just ejected.

Idk.. all trash bothers me.. but the fools who leave behind shells and other plastics annoy me a bit more.

And dumping couches and matresses? Oh boy...