No communication with PCM on 2006 TJ 4.0

I took a quick look at Davey’s for a picture of the replacement OBDII plugs and one of the pictures used appears to be wired like my Jeep. That is weird.

My plan is to move the two terminals that are out of place and see if my friends scanner will access the PCM and go from there possibly taking it back to the dealership to check access with the DRBIII.

I am not that familiar with further testing the wires myself. Looking at some of the diagrams some of the wires branch off to other modules. I don’t want to short those modules by incorrectly testing the wires. i might try the PCM if the terminal relocation on the OBD port does not work. Then replace the repaired dash harness if the PCM doesn’t work. Both are about the same price and substantial differences in labor.

It would be nice to have wiring that I know is good and not adding resistance or repaired incorrectly. Used dash harnesses are a few hundred dollars. I am not looking forward too the labor involved with replacing the dash harness.

Side note. Is there an aftermarket scanner I can buy that has full or most of the functionality of the DRBIII?

Any recommendations welcome. 😃
Dealership is $250/hour. Trying to stay away from there. 😉

A2B0926B-5E07-4BD5-B4D4-5A383D8E411C.jpeg

You're looking at $1000 plus to start getting into scanners with some bi-directional control like the DRBIII. Bosch and Autel Scan tools have really upped their game. Obviously you have the Snap on Verus or Ethos but those get nuts even used. Just look on amazon and make sure that you buy one with bi-directional control, otherwise you'll end up with one that just has some live data and code reading ability.

Reactions: Superjoe
I adjusted the PIN locations for the OBD2 port. I’m going to have my friend hook up their scanner on Monday. Here are some pictures of the wiring harness repairs.

58D69BF1-1C6A-42DA-A432-DB6162A44F6E.jpeg

8D094F41-8673-445C-B72E-2DB8624893C3.jpeg

D805FA0D-A33E-4AE9-A967-EC06E3088CA0.jpeg

D844C070-5547-47DF-A383-3A54361863C4.jpeg

6286BB94-1822-49E1-B7C6-778944CFAAA2.jpeg

Just had my friend check it and still no communication. He said it appears to be less information now. Maybe the PIN out was correct before? I left it with him to trace the wires and do a little more testing before I order a PCM.

I want a Golan stroker engine but I do have the funds for that right now. Any recommendations for used or possibly rebuilt engines?

Last edited:
My friend scoped the lines between OB2 port and PCM. They tested okay. He was surprised and hooked up the scanner again and everything worked??? Sensor reading were all over the place. He ran a compression and leak down test two cylinders were at 80% leak down. Engine needs to be replaced now.
A couple of days later when moving the Jeep out of the shop they found it smelling of fuel. The two cylinders with almost no compression had the fuel injectors dumping fuel into them. He tested the sensors, wiring and PCM. Wiring was the only thing that tested okay. Ordered a @Wranglerfix PCM and rebuilt injectors for the engine replacement.
Ordered a used engine out of a wrecked 2006 with 41k miles. Going to reseal it and replace a whole bunch of other stuff while I’m in there.

Last edited: