No dash illumination or HVAC control illumination

majorm

been looking for the solution for my dash illumination and HVAC illumination and have read all the threads and still have not found the solution, checked fuses, replaced multifunction switch. Headlights works, dome light works, and there’s a new multifunction switch. Anyone out there that could assist me with this problem that has me stumped

been looking for the solution for my dash illumination and HVAC illumination and have read all the threads and still have not found the solution, checked fuses, replaced multifunction switch. Headlights works, dome light works, and there’s a new multifunction switch. Anyone out there that could assist me with this problem that has me stumped
i have a 2001 TJ

Have you checked the dimmer switch on the MFS arm to ensure it is not turned in the wrong direction ?
Have you checked the grounding wires attached to the speaker screws which are behind each lower dash board speaker grill or on the pass/drivers side kick panels located beneath the dash board or behind the radio bezel ?

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Have you checked the dimmer switch on the MFS arm to ensure it is not turned in the wrong direction ?
Have you checked the grounding wires attached to the speaker screws which are behind each lower dash board speaker grill or on the pass/drivers side kick panels located beneath the dash board or behind the radio bezel ?

yes all the grounds are secure

where is the one behind the radio bezel?

When you remove the bezel there is a steel skeleton which is part of the structure of the dash board.

Have you checked Fuse 3 (10A) in the fuse block behind the glove compartment ?
Is there voltage at the fuse when the when the dimmer switch is rotated?
There should be voltage supplied at terminal 1 (tan wire) for the MFS.
IF there is power to the above fuse and terminal; then check instrument cluster terminal 3 (orange wire) of connector C2 for power.

There is a downloadable PDF of the FSM for your year TJ; the wiring schematics are in section 8W on page 8W-40-8 for the Instrument Cluster.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/2000-2001-tj-service-manual-pdf.14036/

Last edited:
When you remove the bezel there is a steel skeleton which is part of the structure of the dash board.

Have you checked Fuse 3 (10A) in the fuse block behind the glove compartment ?
Is there voltage at the fuse when the when the dimmer switch is rotated?
There should be voltage supplied at terminal 1 (tan wire) for the MFS.
IF there is power to the above fuse and terminal; then check instrument cluster terminal 3 (orange wire) of connector C2 for power.

There is a downloadable PDF of the FSM for your year TJ; the wiring schematics are in section 8W on page 8W-40-8 for the Instrument Cluster.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/2000-2001-tj-service-manual-pdf.14036
I’ve located the grounds at both speaker locations and the driver side kick panel location, i could not locate the one on the dash board or the passenger kick panel as there’s no wires there or signs of a previous ground location.

fuse #3 (20a) reads sub woofer system, i put a fuse in and there’s power to it no matter if the the switch is on or off. i checked terminal one on MFS and very little power. I then checked the orange wire on the back of the instrument cluster and no power. I have a hard time deciphering what means what on the PDF you sent. Thank you

I’ve located the grounds at both speaker locations and the driver side kick panel location, i could not locate the one on the dash board or the passenger kick panel as there’s no wires there or signs of a previous ground location.

fuse #3 (20a) reads sub woofer system, i put a fuse in and there’s power to it no matter if the the switch is on or off. i checked terminal one on MFS and very little power. I then checked the orange wire on the back of the instrument cluster and no power. I have a hard time deciphering what means what on the PDF you sent. Thank you
According to the FSM 8W-40-8; Fuse 3 (10A) on the schematic most definitely feeds the instrument cluster back lighting, HVAC controls backlighting and the Radio back lighting.
You must be looking at a different fuse; the Sub Woofer power is fed from a separate fuse.

IF fuse 3 in Fuse Block is good; then either you have a bad headlight dimmer switch, Fuse 14 (25A) in slot 34 is bad or you have a wiring problem in the fuse block.

According to the FSM 8W-40-8; Fuse 3 (10A) on the schematic most definitely feeds the instrument cluster back lighting, HVAC controls backlighting and the Radio back lighting.
You must be looking at a different fuse; the Sub Woofer power is fed from a separate fuse.

IF fuse 3 in Fuse Block is good; then either you have a bad headlight dimmer switch, Fuse 14 (25A) in slot 34 is bad or you have a wiring problem in the fuse block.

alright i’ll look into this and let you know, thank you for the help

fuse 3 on my fuse box reads “Sub-Woofer System (20a)” in the spot where the “Panel LPS (10a)” fuse would be

I’ve checked all the fuses and they are all good

FE443F8F-6852-4EC1-BD72-CA5BDD4BE313.jpeg

after pulling cluster apart i noticed a fried component on the circuit board, would the be the reason my back lighting isn’t turning on??

View attachment 341546
after pulling cluster apart i noticed a fried component on the circuit board, would the be the reason my back lighting isn’t turning on??

The circuitry trace for the back lighting bulb connects to the burned chip; so I would say that you have found the problem, but what caused the burned chip ?

The circuitry trace for the back lighting bulb connects to the burned chip; so I would say that you have found the problem, but what caused the burned chip ?

thank goodness, after a full year and a half i have pinpointed the problem, now that i have found the burnt component i have no clue what would have caused it to burn

I recently purchased a new cluster in hopes of it solving the problem of no backlighting, the new clusters’ backlights turn on for a second then are off, anyone with any ideas????
Thank you!!

I recently purchased a new cluster in hopes of it solving the problem of no backlighting, the new clusters’ backlights turn on for a second then are off, anyone with any ideas????
Thank you!!

Whatever fried the first one likely did the new one, assuming you never fixed whatever caused the first one to fail.