No electrons required

jgaz

TJ Enthusiast
Hey @Squatch. Remember having to use this stuff to quiet down or smooth out a noisy or jumpy cable driven speedo?
93806E31-599A-49EC-85B3-594C637679F6.jpeg

Or better yet a cable driven Corvette tach? At the Chevy dealer we found stuff worked better for the tach then the lubriplate product GM recommended.

Moved cross country three times in the last 20 years and I still find crap in the garage I forgot I had!!!

Reactions: Squatch
Hey @Squatch. Remember having to use this stuff to quiet down or smooth out a noisy or jumpy cable driven speedo?
View attachment 115602

Or better yet a cable driven Corvette tach? At the Chevy dealer we found stuff worked better for the tach then the lubriplate product GM recommended.

Moved cross country three times in the last 20 years and I still find crap in the garage I forgot I had!!!
Boy, do I remember that stuff! And how 'bout all the tools we used to use all the time, but now only rarely do. I have two or three dwell meters, and half a dozen timing lights. Things definitely have changed...

Haha, the speedo cable in my '76 Mercury was howling like a spider monkey above 40 mph last year, but I just used some dry film lubricant. She's quiet as a mouse now.

I remember the first time I fixed a car with a scantool... And I mean actually fixed it. It was sometime in the late 90's, OBDII was still fairly new, and I was working at a Toyota dealership on a Rav4 with driveability problems. It was some sort of stutter or random misfire, and the service bulletin called for an update to the ECU via the Toyota scan-tool. This was the first time we had done this at the shop, so the manager and everyone else was out there to watch. I hooked the factory scan tool (the thing was a brick, about as big as two coffee cans stacked on top of each other) into the gigantic Toyota mainframe thing that we had in the corner of the shop and downloaded some files over the course of about an hour. Hooked it up to the Rav4, uploaded the files, and the thing ran like a top.

I still have friends in the industry, in the same shop as a matter of fact, and now every technician has their own little laptop connected to shop wifi. I'm certain that very few of them have ever used a timing light.

Reactions: Squatch
I only remember speedo cables so well because growing up in the 90s, most cars still had them then.

The good old days 🤪🤪 The speedo cable was so CONVENIENT!!!! I remember putting many, many miles on Dad's old CJ5 with the cable disconnected so he wouldn't know I had been out playing while he was gone...🤠🤠🤠

Haha, funny, because I too remember doing similar things with my parent's cars :ROFLMAO:

Hell, I remember renting a U-Haul, driving it 500 miles (they charged you 59 cents per mile at the time I recall), and unplugging the speedo cable for the drive. I plugged it in 10 miles before I returned it, and only got charged for 10 miles of driving.

Probably not the best thing to admit, but I was also 18 and stupid, which we all were once :LOL:

Indeed we were :LOL: Although this Jeep thing we all share tends to bring back some of those same antics from time to time!!!

Indeed it does! It's funny to look back and think about all the stupid shit I did, and then say to myself now, "What in the hell was I thinking!?".

It will give me a bit of understanding when my own kids end up doing stupid things at that age. We all go through it, some of us just do more stupid stuff than others. :LOL:

Reactions: reddvltj