No grove for rear main oil seal

brad

Finally got around to replacing my REAR MAIN OIL SEAL this weekend when I changed my cats. When i removed the bearing cap and took out the old seal I realized that there was an inconsistency with the videos I had watched. There were no groves for the wings of the new oil seal. The old seal looked like the seal I tapped out of the block. This was alarming. This Jeep is my daily driver and had to be back on the road Monday. Some quick internet research revealed nothing like what I found. The groves were not there in the bearing cap. I pressed on to finish the job. I used a razor knife to remove the wings. Coated the area where the wings should have been with Anaerobic Sealant. Oiled the bearing then replaced and re torqued the cap to 80 FtLB. Has anyone ever seen this? 2004 LJ. 4.0L Auto. So far no oil leaks at all. I warmed the jeep up and then heated the cats like the manufacture recommended. Then let the Jeep sit overnight. The test drive the next day of about 10 miles revealed no leaks. A 30 mile trip to work still no leaks. Wish I had taken a picture but I wasn't thinking about that at the time.

Finally got around to replacing my REAR MAIN OIL SEAL this weekend when I changed my cats. When i removed the bearing cap and took out the old seal I realized that there was an inconsistency with the videos I had watched. There were no groves for the wings of the new oil seal. The old seal looked like the seal I tapped out of the block. This was alarming. This Jeep is my daily driver and had to be back on the road Monday. Some quick internet research revealed nothing like what I found. The groves were not there in the bearing cap. I pressed on to finish the job. I used a razor knife to remove the wings. Coated the area where the wings should have been with Anaerobic Sealant. Oiled the bearing then replaced and re torqued the cap to 80 FtLB. Has anyone ever seen this? 2004 LJ. 4.0L Auto. So far no oil leaks at all. I warmed the jeep up and then heated the cats like the manufacture recommended. Then let the Jeep sit overnight. The test drive the next day of about 10 miles revealed no leaks. A 30 mile trip to work still no leaks. Wish I had taken a picture but I wasn't thinking about that at the time.
The RMS with the little ears or wings out to the side is the earlier version. The one without is the later version.

Reactions: Adms01TJ