Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Not that I really need a heater now but mine is Luke warm. Good flow with both hoses hot and blend door is closing what am I missing? Do a reverse flush? 98 TJ Sport.

Both hoses are hot so you've ruled out the heater core not flowing. However, I wonder if it's possible that it's just slightly clogged enough to make it not get that hot.

Does the vehicle warm up properly and not take forever (you know, like the thermostat is stuck open)?

Does it get warmer if you are driving? Meaning if the RPMs are higher than idle? If so then you could have a water pump going bad. I have seen them at idle produce very little flow, but with rpm increase the flow increases. Eventually it will give out all together on you if that is the case.

Core is a great possibility but less probable if both hoses are the same exact temp. It is a very easy piece to eliminate just by doing a flush of it with a garden hose.

Yep, that's what I was thinking too. Probably unlikely that it's the core, but it doesn't hurt to flush it.

All I can think of is possibly a failing water pump since everything else seems fine.

Reactions: Big Sarge
Air bubbles in the cooling system? I was having crappy heat on our CR-V and it turned out that not only was there are in the cooling system, but the coolant was way to low!

Probably obvious, but check your coolant level in the radiator when the engine is completely cool and see where it's at.

Reactions: Big Sarge
So was it the air in system or the low coolant level? Hmmmo_O
Thanks I will check level. How do you get rid of air in the system if that is the case. Where did the air come from? Water pump replacement perhaps. I ran the heater and such when refilling radiator after pump replacement.

So was it the air in system or the low coolant level? Hmmmo_O
Thanks I will check level. How do you get rid of air in the system if that is the case. Where did the air come from? Water pump replacement perhaps. I ran the heater and such when refilling radiator after pump replacement.

I think it was just the lack of coolant in the system. If you have air in it you can let the car heat up to operating temp with the radiator cap off, then gently squeeze the upper radiator hose very lightly to sort of burp any air bubbles out. I would just start with checking the coolant level. I'm just trying to advise checking the simplest things first, as Ockham's Razor seems to always be at play with things like this.

I hear ya. Thanks. I will report back in an hour or so after she cools off and I flush the core.

Reactions: Chris
My 93 Cherokee quit throwing heat last winter and it was low on coolant. The recovery tank was full, so I never checked the radiator. The radiator itself was almost a gallon low. The same time I added coolant to the radiator I replaced the cap with a new one, and had good heat.

My 93 Cherokee quit throwing heat last winter and it was low on coolant. The recovery tank was full, so I never checked the radiator. The radiator itself was almost a gallon low. The same time I added coolant to the radiator I replaced the cap with a new one, and had good heat.

Yep, same thing happened to my Honda. It was driving me crazy trying to figure it out, then I just checked the coolant and sure as shit it was quite low!

Apparently the core was dirty. My coolant level before the flush was good. Maybe what I think is hot on the hoses isn't hot for the heater. Time will tell. It needed a flush anyway.