No Instrument Panel Light

RubiconMan

I just added my JKS front sway bar discos and decided to take my 99 Wrangler TJ out for a test drive at night. Turned on the light switch and no instrument panel lighting. Here is what is working:

Headlights, turn signals, tail lights, brake lights, interior dome light comes on when turning knob.

I pulled the panel lps fuse (it was blown), put in another one and it blew right away.

The AC works fine but no illumination.

Before I pull the instrument panel, is there anything I should check?

Thanks in advance.

John

Honestly, give it a nice fist bump on top of the dashboard / instrument cluster area. I'm betting the lights will come with back on.

Happened to me on numerous occasions. Jeeps are known for finicky electrical systems like this.

i used the "fist bump" technique for 10 years but now, no matter how hard I hit the dashboard, all gauges/lights are off 95% of the time. Since it's on 5% of the time, I'm betting that it's not a fuse.
Any suggestions? I know this is a common problem.
Next step is take off the dashboard and clean all contacts and replace the wiring harness I bought 10 years ago.

To answer my own question; I popped the instrument cluster out and got one of my wife's paper nail files and cut it in two lengthwise. Then I gently filed the 20 little prongs on the back of the cluster back-and-forth a few times on each one and put it back together.
That seems to have done it. Gave me a chance to clean out all the dust also.