No More Steel Shackles?

All you'd have to do is make the hole in the middles small enough that you couldn't get a rope in it that would be stronger than the donut.
I suspect without testing that if you were to make the hole smaller, that would increase the leverage to overcome the friction at the hole and actually make the ring turn instead of the rope sliding on it.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
I suspect without testing that if you were to make the hole smaller, that would increase the leverage to overcome the friction at the hole and actually make the ring turn instead of the rope sliding on it.

a small hole would require a small radius or you just got a big floppy disk unless perfectly balanced. a central bearing ring with the smaller hole for the outside to run on might work but just adds junk to the pile.

TRE is B.O.'d for snatch blocks. and to mention this also they are the only safety thimble i see to give the synth line a nice rounded surface at the pull point..........most others are barely a chamfer. unless you stick to the steel loops.

I keep one in each recovery kit because not everyone else in my group has soft friendly recovery points and because you never know who you might come across on the trail that doesn't.

If your entire group has soft friendly recovery points than ditch it.
I keep one for the same reason.

Something like these tabs where you could hook a shackle.

View attachment 155145

Stock hooks, tube on a bumper, etc.

I'd think just about anything mounted to the frame that isn't sharp that you can fit a soft shackle around.

I have no soft shackles at this point, so I'm just exploring it but it doesn't seem like a typical bumper mounted shackle tab would be soft friendly.

I'd love to get rid of some of my steel shackles but my Warn bumper just has the tabs.

Reactions: DrDmoney
If they require you to mandatorily test for COVID - 19, will you submit?

wrong thread? I'm super confused about the relevance, but to answer your question, I might submit to testing but I'm not going to carry papers like we're in Germany 1941 and I sure as hell won't be taking a vaccine that's been rushed through development.

Most bumper mounted points aren't soft shackle friendly since you can't fit the soft shackle through the hole without a lot of effort. You can round them out pretty easily to fix this and keep the sharp edge off the soft shackle. I did it with a drill and a chamfer bit. It is very easy and you could do it with a file or a dremel as well. But, most people you run into out on the trail won't have done this to their recovery points, so I carry steel shackles just in case.

IMG_0147.jpeg

and yes your again correct the ring does/can/ will have some dead spots or stalls while in use under load. but then would act similar to our hawse while stalled.
Missed this the first time through. No, it doesn't act exactly like a hawse because you never get a 180 degree wrap on a hawse. Most you can get without dragging the line on something you shouldn't be is 90 degrees and then only rarely. With the ring, you almost never get less than 180.