No More Steel Shackles?

TRE all day...

I have their soft shackles and their 6’ orange tree/rock shackle as well. Big fan!

Speaking of dozers. Before the Jeep life, I had this POS Ford F-250. It was a 2004 with the sucky Triton engine. My FIL liked to use it to drive around a friends property and pick up firewood. They had a lot due to oak wilt taking its toll on the Post Oaks. There must have been 45 piles on the front 20 acres. My FIL was always greedy. He’d just drive from pile to pile getting the small stuff off the top so he didn’t have to split any of the big stuff. Well, it got the better of him one day when he saw a nice little pile and veered off the road into what he discovered was a low spot. I was at work when I got the call. The 4wd didn’t work,but I’m not sure it would have mattered. When I arrived the truck was about 40’ off the road and mud was up to the passenger door, axles more than buried. A guy I knew from a landscape materials place was not 1/2 mile down the road and showed up with a backhoe. After about five minutes he was stuck 15’ from the road. The thing weight like 80 tons. He tried desperately to dig himself out to no avail. Fortunately, they brought in a dozer and they were able to pull it free. Meanwhile my truck was still 40’ off the road and mud door deep. We finally called a wrecker. The number of shackles and trees involved was a confusing array, even to the most intelligent observer, but he finally got it out.

Moral of the story; never loan your FIL your truck. That wasn’t the first time he got it stuck. It was the last.

I carry four soft and four steel. My two snatch blocks are not soft shackle friendly and the other two are to attach to a vehicle as I like to bridal a vehicle to two attachments when possible. Seems I recover a lot of unibody vehicles like XJ’s etc. I don’t want to rip a recovery point out. I also carry two cluster hook sets for the people with no recovery points. I’ve seen to many single point attachments fail in all types of uses. Doesn’t help that I worked a crane for a few years and spent fifteen years as a Firefighter on the high angle technical rescue team.

Last edited:
What is used for a soft recovery point if not using steel shackles or a hitch receiver/pin?

What is used for a soft recovery point if not using steel shackles or a hitch receiver/pin?

Something like these tabs where you could hook a shackle.

1587659344709.png

Stock hooks, tube on a bumper, etc.

I'd think just about anything mounted to the frame that isn't sharp that you can fit a soft shackle around.

Reactions: tworley
Side question. What do you use to connect two recovery straps? Can a soft shackle take the impact load?

Side question. What do you use to connect two recovery straps? Can a soft shackle take the impact load?

Soft shackles on both ends, as needed to make the connections. They can take the impact load. If they couldn't, they shouldn't be there in the first place, since everything in the chain of connections needs to withstand the same loads. As with any scenario, make only make as many connections as is necessary.

If both straps are loops at the end, growing up we would just slip each end through the other’s loop and not connect them with anything extra.

kind of a tangent but has to do with recovery.

anybody seen or use the pulley puck? these are super light and supposedly do not damage the synth lines.

https://www.customsplice.com/products/diamond-recovery-ring
Like most things, they have a fair amount of bullshit associated with them.
#1- Consider why and how a tonnage rating is derived. Contemplate the forces on the ring and how any load whatsoever will collapse the ring, (not really possible) or distort it against the shackle holding it, (again not really possible). So why is there a tonnage rating and how was it derived? That is just more bullshit for the specification collectors trying to mix and match industry's load ratings.

#2- I haven't looked but the way they are supposed to be used is a soft shackle goes through the eye and then the winch line goes in the groove. What happens if you are recovering someone and a bit of momentary slack happens? What I've seen is the rope falls out of the groove and is now rubbing against the soft shackle. Not the end of the world but just a bit of bullshit you may not need to be dealing with on a troublesome recovery.

#3- That ring has been around in the sailing world forever, nothing new.

#4- See if you can find a video of one in actual use. It doesn't work exactly the way you think it does in real life.

#5- There is a version of one out there that has a contraption arrangement of webbing and Velcro straps to keep the rope in the groove. At that point, just get a damn snatch block and quit dicking around with gimmicks.

Reactions: Rescue6 and Byhumba
yes i've seen them/it used on video. it did do the intended job with no damage to the anchor loop or the winch line.
it would never be the only device carried but, would offer a lightweight option and/or back-up.

your point of the disk requiring a babysitter is accurate you cannot slack that line with this device.

what/who are yall trusting for snatch blocks. (somehow i have the feeing i asked this b4, CRS )

yes i've seen them/it used on video. it did do the intended job with no damage to the anchor loop or the winch line.
it would never be the only device carried but, would offer a lightweight option and/or back-up.

your point of the disk requiring a babysitter is accurate you cannot slack that line with this device.

what/who are yall trusting for snatch blocks. (somehow i have the feeing i asked this b4, CRS )
It did the intended job under well designed conditions on the ones I've seen, but the ring doesn't turn and under high loads, that isn't really good for the rope.

I personally use the ones from Ricky.

Figure out the weight ratings yet?

ha. IDK, i agree it's kinda odd, the shape is the strength. you could make them out of dense plastic.
lessor pull angles can result in smaller contact patches, maybe that plays into it.
but more likely marketing, most don't wanna see S, M, L, they want the #'s. and BS is good enough.
i have not seen/found a dead pull until failure test S vs M vs L. it'd take a bulldozer and steel cable to crush 1 i bet.
in our case line failure should occur 1st.

and yes your again correct the ring does/can/ will have some dead spots or stalls while in use under load. but then would act similar to our hawse while stalled.
and who's Ricky? i know maybe 3 of these guys by 1st name.

ha. IDK, i agree it's kinda odd, the shape is the strength. you could make them out of dense plastic.
lessor pull angles can result in smaller contact patches, maybe that plays into it.
but more likely marketing, most don't wanna see S, M, L, they want the #'s. and BS is good enough.
i have not seen/found a dead pull until failure test S vs M vs L. it'd take a bulldozer and steel cable to crush 1 i bet.
in our case line failure should occur 1st.

and yes your again correct the ring does/can/ will have some dead spots or stalls while in use under load. but then would act similar to our hawse while stalled.
and who's Ricky? i know maybe 3 of these guys by 1st name.
I'm going to make them and start selling them with a 1 million pound rating. 1 million in italics with a footnote that says "try and break it, I dare you".

Ricky at Tactical Recovery Equipment

ha.........already got them loaded on the side already lookin for rope, thimble and softies.

on to the blocks then ..............thanx

Last edited: