No power to blower or fuses

kellydog

2002 Wrangler Sport
Supporting Member
2002 - Blower problems. Just bought this for my wife. Trying to get it into shape. Blower does not work. Fried connector to blower and bad blower (locked up). Replaced the blower, connector and have a relay on order (not sure if it is bad). Tested fuse 8 and no power. Tested fuse 1 in the power distribution center and no power there either.

Sorry, I just have to ask- were you testing with the ignition switch "on?"

Yes. I have tried it with the ignition set to on and with the engine running.

Download a free copy of the FSM here: Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

Once you do that, you can go through the wiring diagrams in the back and trace the wires until you find power.

I had a similar issue on my XJ which took me months to solve. Come to find the wire was getting power before it entered the fuse junction block, but it wasn't getting power on the other end. It wasn't a bad fuse, it was a bad wiring connection believe it or not!

IF fuse 8 has no power; what about 5,6, &7 ?
Sounds like you may need to disconnect the fuse block and check the wiring beneath.
According to the FSM.... 8W-10-13; the other 3 fuses are on the same fuse block.

I noticed you said that fuse 1 also doesn't have power; do fuses 2 & 3 on the PDC have power?
The only wiring upstream of that is the fusible link and the power from the battery according to 8W-10-9.
You may also need to unbolt the PDC and check its wiring.

Last edited:
Nope! 5, 6 & 7 show no power with the ignition on.
What is that telling me?

Fuses 5,6, & 7 are fed off the same fuse block and since fuse #1 from the PDC is also without power; then I would start trouble shooting beneath the PDC.
Do fuses #2 & 3 on the PDC have power ?
If they don't.... then there is a definite problem with the PDC bus.
The only wiring upstream of that is the fusible link and the power from the battery according to FSM 8W-10-9.

Thanks. I will check fuses 2&3.
I have no experience with the PDC but assume if I disconnect the battery, I can’t hurt anything?

Originally you said that fuse #1 in the PDC was dead.... Something change ?
Fuse #1 in the PDC goes thru a couple harnesses (C170 Red/LtBlu and C205 Red/Lt Blu) to the Blower Motor relay.
Check Pin 4 for the Blower Relay plug to see if you have power.
Blower Motor relay connector Pin 1 Dark Green wire will go to the blower motor

Last edited:
Sorry Charles. When I said Fuse # 1 I was referring to the PDC fuse.
I am looking at the relay drawing but do not see the identifying number. I see 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87A. So I test with the Le on the on position or with the engine running?

Sorry, I completely misread your note. I checked the fuse board under the glove box, not the PDC as you instructed.
Let me check the PDS 1&2. (Sorry)

Sorry Charles. When I said Fuse # 1 I was referring to the PDC fuse.
I am looking at the relay drawing but do not see the identifying number. I see 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87A. So I test with the Le on the on position or with the engine running?

The pins I refer to are the factory numbered slots, not the relay numbers.
You can test these with the ignition switch to ON; the engine does not need to be running.
If you have power to PDC fuse #1 then follow my previous troubleshooting instructions in Post 12.

OK, I do have power to PDC position #1. I must have had a bad ground on a previous test.
I cannot locate position #4 on the blower relay connector. I did test all of the positions and the one in the top middle position was live.
Blower Motor Relay Connector.jpg

As an interim test.... remove the horn relay and place it in the blower fan relay position and turn the blower fan switch on and see if the relay clicks energizing the new fan motor....
Pin 4 is from the PDC and Pin 5 is relay activating power from the climate system.
This will test whether there is power from the PDC and relay activating power.

I have a new relay supposedly showing up today. UPS shows in transit. So what is fuse#8 on the fuse block behind the glove box connected to? Is that connected to one of the relay pins? That shows no power (even when the relay was plugged in).