No sound from speakers

Hi y'all,

I've got a 2000 I6 and replaced the radio with a Pioneer DEH-X3910BT from Crutchfield about 18 months ago - speakers are stock. I had no issues until a few weeks ago when my turn signals stopped working, along with my radio. I would have to jiggle the lock cylinder a bit to get both to work. One day the speakers cut out while driving and they haven't worked since. I've let a number of people drive the Jeep and always forget to mention the key release which usually results in people forcing the key out.

The radio still turns on, all inputs fail to get any sound. It doesn't seem right that all speakers would just stop working. And I've had issues with the turn signals as well. Whenever I turn the key to ON the radio lights up and a popping sound comes from the speakers.

I know next to nothing about electrical but it doesn't seem like an issue with the radio or even the speakers to me. I swapped the ignition lock cylinder with one I grabbed from a pick a part and the same issue persists. Unfortunately, that lock cylinder also has a loose key issue - maybe I should grab one from Rock Auto.

Here's a video. The key is in the ON position but I had to turn it just slightly for the radio to work. Around 11 seconds just before "Pioneer" appears on the head unit you can hear the pop from the speakers.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: The more I look into it the more it seems like I should just buy a new lock cylinder and possibly actuator pin.

Sounds like the ignition switch, not the lock tumbler. It’s possible that power flickering to the stereo might have blown the internal amplifier. Probably would work fine with line level outputs to an external amp but I’d fix the ignition switch before condemning the stereo.

Reactions: pagrey
Sounds like the ignition switch, not the lock tumbler. It’s possible that power flickering to the stereo might have blown the internal amplifier. Probably would work fine with line level outputs to an external amp but I’d fix the ignition switch before condemning the stereo.

I believe the ignition switch hits the remote power on switch so that could be the culprit.

Did you check the fuses?

Well fuck me sideways. Bought a new igniton switch, it didn't fit (Doorman 924869), so I put the old one back in so I could continue driving. The next day the speakers work again, I'd already ordered another switch so I figured I'll swap it anyway. Swap the old for the new new and it works fine...for a week. From time to time the speakers would cut out for a few seconds then work again. Now they're shot 100% of the time.

Since the old one worked again and the issue still persists even with the new igniton switch, I feel like I can rule out that as the problem. Electrical wiring is above my knowledge level but that's the only thing I can think of now.

As always, your help is appreciated.

Reactions: Chris
Do you have the upgraded audio system with subwoofer and amp in the center console? Could be the stock amplifier but would rather not guess, so what system do you have?

Also, list any aftermarket upgrades, if any.

Reactions: Chris
Do you have the upgraded audio system with subwoofer and amp in the center console? Could be the stock amplifier but would rather not guess, so what system do you have?

Also, list any aftermarket upgrades, if any.

X2 to this.

Reactions: skrelnik
He has a 2000.... I thought (if my memory is correct), Jeep didn't offer the "upgraded" audio system with the sub / amp until 2002?

One other thing to check is the ground for the radio, I see you installed a Pioneer head unit. Make sure the ground is really good, as the head-units are not grounded via the wiring harness. So make sure where you grounded it is a good clean grounded connection. A bad ground can cause all sorts of issues...

He has a 2000.... I thought (if my memory is correct), Jeep didn't offer the "upgraded" audio system with the sub / amp until 2002?

One other thing to check is the ground for the radio, I see you installed a Pioneer head unit. Make sure the ground is really good, as the head-units are not grounded via the wiring harness. So make sure where you grounded it is a good clean grounded connection. A bad ground can cause all sorts of issues...
I believe that's correct. Either way, my system is stock, except for the Pioneer head unit. Should I check the amp with a multimeter?

There's a ground cable/ribbon that the factory radio was hooked up to so I did the same with the Pioneer.