No sound from Uniden 520XL

tworley

Ignored :(
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Uniden Pro 520xl. Have had for a number of years now. As of late, I am not receiving any transmissions. I can talk into the mic and others can hear me, but I a cannot receive or hear anything.

-Power is present
-on correct channel (not channel 9)
-Not on PA switch
-Turning squelch in either direction does not produce any static (interesting?)
-SWR is 1.1 on channel 20, it is 2.5 on channels 1 and 40 (2' firestick)
-Mic cord appears to be fine (others can hear me)
-RF control turned in either direction does not change anything

Any ideas? Has my uniden finally bit the dust? Anything else I can try?

Round file it and get a GMRS radio. I had a 510xl that when left on for a while would do that. Mic was fried I think.

Reactions: rasband
Sounds like it just isn't making any noise at all if squelch doesn't do anything. I'd check the speaker and the wires that connect to the speaker. Those little speakers are cheap if you can find the right one to put in it. If you connect a voltmeter set to measure resistance to the terminals on the speaker it should click. You might also try an external speaker. The speaker is an easy fix, anything beyond that I'd probably just find another one. They are dirt cheap.

Reactions: Zorba and tworley
If you have access to the connector points rub a pencil erase on them to clean them. Just like you are erasing pencil writing on paper

Sounds like it just isn't making any noise at all if squelch doesn't do anything. I'd check the speaker and the wires that connect to the speaker. Those little speakers are cheap if you can find the right one to put in it. If you connect a voltmeter set to measure resistance to the terminals on the speaker it should click. You might also try an external speaker. The speaker is an easy fix, anything beyond that I'd probably just find another one. They are dirt cheap.
^^this^^

Reactions: tworley

I'll check, thanks. I do have my old polks sitting on the shelf i could test with. Looks like speaker replacements for the cb are less than $7 if that's my issue.

As to gmrs vs cb--I have a baofeng that works fine. But there's something about the cb that I like, it'll stay.

Reactions: Zorba
Make sure the mic is plugged in solidly too, it can cause the speaker to not work. That Pro-520XL is a solid radio and deserves some investigation to try to get the speaker to work. If the speaker simply went bad, as happened on my Yaesu 2 meter ham radio, a replacement is very cheap to buy. I think I spent $3 for mine lol. An aux communications type ham/CB speaker like one of the ones at https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ham+cb+radio+aux+speaker&ref=nb_sb_noss would work well.

Reactions: Zorba