Crazyman1304

Hi all, The past few months I've been having troubles with my Jeep. I've looked around all over and made a post here trying to diagnose it and have come up with it maybe being the TCM. Have one ordered up and it arrives tomorrow!

But today the problems got worse. I have driven the TJ 3 times since these problems arose and had to drive it the 5 miles to work today. Got to work all fine and dandy, got in it, and stopped by a friend's house on the way home and when I went to restart the jeep I had no power at all, hooked up my dinky fleet farm jump pack, and still had no power.
I got a bigger jump pack brought to me and got power but when you turn the key the power shuts off and nothing happens. No crank just shuts off.

I've had this problem before and it was the PCM fuse but it's not blown this time. I suspected the transmission problems I posted here about was the PCM but I was told by Jerry it couldn't be since I have an 04 and PCM issues are normally 05 and 06s but I'm really thinking my PCM has gone kaput.

Info on the Jeep
2004 Wrangler X
4.0 Auto

Here's the series of issues

March 14th: Dies while driving Has power, Some gauges work, but nothing happens when the key turns. Blown PCM fuse in the glovebox

July 3rd: The engine light comes on and it goes into limp mode. Gave me the transmission switch code and transmission overheat code.

Aug 15th: Flush the coolant, new thermostat, new trans fluid, and filter

August 22nd: still giving me transmission codes and putting me into limp mode after 35 mins or so of driving but it's not shifting badly. This time P0740 (TCC control circuit error) and P1776(solenoid switch valve stuck in low reverse) snap on scanner says trans fluid is in the 1000s which is definitely not true.

August 23rd: I do some looking around on old forum posts and decide it must be something electrical it's pretty muddy so I unplug and clean all transmission plugs with electrical cleaner. Ran it down the highway for a while and have no light and no limp mode. Success!!!

August 27th: Take it 40 mins to a wedding rehearsal 5 minutes from the venue engine light and limp mode and I die a little inside. Tow it home and decide it must be the TCM

September 15th: Order a TCM from Ares Technologies

Today: Have to drive it to work as I have no other car to drive. It should be able to make short distances right? NOPE No start problems stated above

Sorry if this is formatted odd. I'm new to posting here and couldn't find a better way to explain my problems. Just looking for thoughts if this could be a PCM even if it's an 04 or any idea what it might be before I order a PCM. I hear @Wranglerfix is the guy for PCM problems.

Last edited: