Noise when hot (likely from bell housing)

jbs44

Hi, my 98 automatic makes a ticking type noise when it gets warm, it’s different when in different gears, or park.

It isn’t the engine I don’t think, as it doesn’t happen if the car doesn’t move from cold no matter how long it’s left running, it only does it when it’s been driven a while and other parts get hot. I used a stethoscope and it sounds like it’s from somewhere near the bell housing.

I’ve added a video with the noise.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!
Jack

The noise sounds like a bearing going bad.
I would take a look at the U joints for the front and rear driveshaft looking for rust colored dust at the grease seal where the U joint cups pivot on the trunions which would indicate dry needle bearings.
IF the U joints are greasable which they should be; try adding a couple squirts of grease to all the driveshaft U joints and see if the noise decreases or goes away.

The noise sounds like a bearing going bad.
I would take a look at the U joints for the front and rear driveshaft looking for rust colored dust at the grease seal where the U joint cups pivot on the trunions which would indicate dry needle bearings.
IF the U joints are greasable which they should be; try adding a couple squirts of grease to all the driveshaft U joints and see if the noise decreases or goes away.

Hi Charles thanks - those look ok on Inspection, but would that cause a noise if the jeep isn’t moving though? Neutral is a bit quieter, drive is louder but all while stationary

Reactions: ColoJeep
Thank you all, we’ll have it looked at locally with all your suggestions.

Thanks
Jack