Noise when shutting engine off, and at idle

Reidminer

TJ Enthusiast
Hello everyone

So I’ve heard this noise before, throughout the past couple months, very intermittently, so I’ve never thought much about it.

Today and yesterday I’ve heard it a bit more frequently, after having been driving for a couple minutes, and when I shut the vehicle off after driving it. I checked other related threads, and while I have the NV3550 transmission in my 2000 4.0 5 speed, it doesn’t seem to be a transmission related sound. I checked my heat shielding behind the exhaust system and it was all right and not the culprit as far as I could tell. I also checked the fan as best I could to my knowledge, and it spins freely while the vehicle is turned off(with some slight, I’m guessing normal resistance?)

I tried having my dad listen on the phone while I started it up and turned it off(about 30mins after I had last driven it) and it didn’t make the sound. So is it heat related potentially? I do have a video of the noise I can try attaching. It’s at the end of the clip, when I shut my engine off after having driven 4 miles home from work

I'm sure you read this already, but again, the NV3350 makes quite a bit of noise at idle and when shutting the engine off. I always thought the rattling noise when shutting the engine off was engine related but no. Push clutch in then shut it off an no noise. Same thing when idling. What kind of noise is it?

I'm sure you read this already, but again, the NV3350 makes quite a bit of noise at idle and when shutting the engine off. I always thought the rattling noise when shutting the engine off was engine related but no. Push clutch in then shut it off an no noise. Same thing when idling. What kind of noise is it?
I believe I figured it out actually. I just got home from a short drive, and before I shut it off, I could hear the noise I’m referring to, hard to describe. Got underneath with my flashlight and could easily tell it was coming from my muffler…upon closer inspection I think I found the culprit. It appears my exhaust system has split right at the connection point to the muffler. Explains the irregular rattle and the noise when I shut it off, one final rattle of the muffler. I’ll attach a pic so I can see if I’m right

12CEE8D0-B0FD-4D87-A252-8877F1C6CEC1.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting