Noises after installing Rough Country 2.5” lift

Paco ojeda

i think it looks awsome im really pleased with the results

now they removed some made up spacers and left it stock and put the new stuff , now im hearing some noises when i i go slow and when i stop heres a video.
hopefully someone can advise what this noise is about couse it wasnt there before.
thanks

Sounds like the noise is coming from a rotating part to me. The fact that the noise appears when you go slowly makes me think that it is coming from the driveline and not the suspension. Judging by your profile picture, you have JK wheels. That front axle also looks extremely new to me (maybe its just clean). Was the axle swapped when you put the lift on as well?

I don't know exactly what those noise would be, but since it is speed dependent, I'm guessing somewhere in the driveline. Does it only happen when braking, or is it also present when going slowly but at a constant speed? Does anything change when you put it into 4 wheel drive?

Sounds like the noise is coming from a rotating part to me. The fact that the noise appears when you go slowly makes me think that it is coming from the driveline and not the suspension. Judging by your profile picture, you have JK wheels. That front axle also looks extremely new to me (maybe its just clean). Was the axle swapped when you put the lift on as well?

I don't know exactly what those noise would be, but since it is speed dependent, I'm guessing somewhere in the driveline. Does it only happen when braking, or is it also present when going slowly but at a constant speed? Does anything change when you put it into 4 wheel drive?
thanks for the reply yeah is just clean and nothing was changed exept the shocks and springs the thing here is that i never noticed the noise witch also appears when going slow.

Who is 'they'? The shop that did the install? If so, can you take it back and have them drive it?
Yeah i went back its a good shop and i was there most of the time and they did bit it back together as it was supposed to be. I can understand after a lot of yearsh with a crap job of spacers installed i figured there was some adjustment time and some new noises were normal some new appeared and went away with time but this remained.

That to me sounds like it's related to the drivetrain, not any of the suspension components.

Reactions: CodaMan
thanks for the reply yeah is just clean and nothing was changed exept the shocks and springs the thing here is that i never noticed the noise witch also appears when going slow.

I reason I asked about the axle is that I'm still thinking that the noise is coming from the driveline. Considering it isn't new, and the shop didn't open it up, I would say its fine. So I guess diff is out of the question.

I would check the driveshaft where it bolts into the axle. Thats just a random guess on my part and probably isn't that likely. It honestly sounds like something is loose to me. I had a problem last year where a really loud noise would come on when I was braking. It turned out to be a loose bolt on the front of my motor (I think it was on the AC compressor). When I was braking, the bolt would slide forward and into the fan.

I would try a few things. Coast with the clutch in (if its a manual) and see if anything changes at all. Try 4 wheel drive high and low and see if anything changes.

EDIT: This isn't very likely but could it be the engine. I've listened to it a few more times. Are you sure it is speed dependent and not engine rpm dependent? It doesn't really sound like a rod knock or a death rattle or anything like that but the noise sorta sounds like it could be coming from the oil pan to me. If thats the issue I'll be shocked but I'd check it out anyway.

EDIT 2:
Sounds like this noise. Check your bumpstops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris