Noises in 4 Lo

JeepZilla380

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Got to play a bit this past weekend up at AoP in TN. My Jeep has always made a lot of noise in 4LO, when the drive line is loaded up and I need to hit the clutch to keep from stalling. Its a clattering type noise identical to these two videos below:

Broken Arrow - Sedona AZyoutube.com

https://youtu.be/8WoaFkjObzM

Seen a few posts external to here, a few on Rubicon Owners Forum that indicate Rubi owners from brand new have this noise, but that don't make it right. It also might be similar to what @Mike_H experienced and posted here a while back. This noise goes back to before my new lift install but I plan to check the torque on all my control arms and skids. Front drive shaft is stock, but has been rebuilt recently, and the rear is a new Tom Woods. Maybe it's the transfer case chain? Anyone else have these type of noises?

Same here, its always been there, just seems I'm the loudest Jeep out on the trail when we get into anything requiring 4Lo and
Mine also makes the same noise, but I never considered it to be anything to worry about, as my last Rubicon did the same thing as well.

Awesome, figured that would be the case. She just likes to be vocal as she's wheeling! Certainly dont want to go looking for trouble. I'll still run through the torx specs on my control arms and skids just for fun.

I'll tell ya though, after wheeling this weekend its getting harder and harder to avoid the call of the 35s. Used to get hung up on my transfer case skid, now it seems I can't stay off the back diff. ;)

So just the noises of a happy Rubicon then. Thats why I love to have a group to bounce questions off of!

Reactions: Chris