Noises

etc1006

TJ Enthusiast
I have 2 noises that I've noticed since getting Lucy.
The first sounds to be possibly suspension related. Usually on a light/moderate bump I hear a light thump/knock somewhere low and to the rear. I've bounced her around by pushing and standing on the bumper but can't hear it. Not especially in either direction left/right of chassis load. Seems it will only do it while driving...
Second is a squeaking noise like possibly a dry bearing. I notice this when turning either direction, especially was able to hear it when going round and round in the parking garage at school/work.. I don't think it's brake related, as I have touched the brakes while doing it and nothing changes. Are the axle shaft u-joints greaseable??

The squeaking noise, if it's easily heard when turning, could be from the rubber collar around the steering shaft as it goes through the firewall. Mine started squeaking and a little bit of grease applied to the inside of the collar fixed it and it's been silent ever since. I'd check that first as it's a quick easy thing to rule out.

For the first sound you mentioned, what mods, if any, do you have on your jeep? That may help us give you a place to start looking.

The squeaking sounds like it could indeed be the front axle u-joints. They ain't grease-able, but they are easy to replace and a cheap fix. If you replace the front u-joints, please be sure to use the highly recommended Spicer 5-760x u-joints.

Reactions: etc1006
As for that clunk from the rear, check your rear track bar bushings, rear control arm bushings, rear sway bar end link bushings, etc. See if any of them are visually damaged.

As for that clunk from the rear, check your rear track bar bushings, rear control arm bushings, rear sway bar end link bushings, etc. See if any of them are visually damaged.
Bet the clunk is control arm bushings and take a look at your sway bar to see if it is causing the squeaking. Sometimes the bushings on the sway bar can get dry and cause a squeak as the jeep rolls in a turn.

Reactions: etc1006 and Chris
Steering stabilizer might be the turning squeaking. Mine had that and I got a new one and it went away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The squeaking noise, if it's easily heard when turning, could be from the rubber collar around the steering shaft as it goes through the firewall. Mine started squeaking and a little bit of grease applied to the inside of the collar fixed it and it's been silent ever since. I'd check that first as it's a quick easy thing to rule out.

For the first sound you mentioned, what mods, if any, do you have on your jeep? That may help us give you a place to start looking.

The squeak is while rolling, with wheel turned. She's stock as far as suspension.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
As has been suggested, for the rear clunk, check out the trackbar, upper and lower CA's, and the swaybar links for damage or wear because they're easy to see. And can wear out after use/time.

So I heard the clunk while getting in after clinicals at the hospital. As my weight hit the chassis it clunked. It prolly doesn't do it at home because I park half on grass half in street and it leans to the drivers side. I'll check it out Sunday while I'm doing the headlight upgrade. My left sealed beam died today when I pulled in parking garage. I was praying a D.C. Or PG county officer didn't decide to pull me over on way home...

So I heard the clunk while getting in after clinicals at the hospital. As my weight hit the chassis it clunked. It prolly doesn't do it at home because I park half on grass half in street and it leans to the drivers side. I'll check it out Sunday while I'm doing the headlight upgrade. My left sealed beam died today when I pulled in parking garage. I was praying a D.C. Or PG county officer didn't decide to pull me over on way home...
Definitely check those rear suspension parts.

And you mentioned clinicals...are you in med school?

I'm experiencing the same 'clunking' noise after installing a Rough Country 2.5" lift kit in my '06 TJ and I'm looking at the sway bar 1st as the likely culprit. With that in mind, can anyone suggest an improved replacement, something heavier duty than stock? Rough County only lists theirs for 3"+ lifts...thanks in advance for your help!

I'm experiencing the same 'clunking' noise after installing a Rough Country 2.5" lift kit in my '06 TJ and I'm looking at the sway bar 1st as the likely culprit. With that in mind, can anyone suggest an improved replacement, something heavier duty than stock? Rough County only lists theirs for 3"+ lifts...thanks in advance for your help!

If you want the best-of-the-best, you'll want a Currie Antirock.

Definitely check those rear suspension parts.

And you mentioned clinicals...are you in med school?
I took a glance at the rear control arms bushings, the forward ones are kinda cracked up. Nothing looks torn or off center in the mounting area... Will crawl under tomorrow and take a closer look. I'm in school to be a radiologic technologist. Graduate in May. Just wish Dad was still here to see me graduate.

I took a glance at the rear control arms bushings, the forward ones are kinda cracked up. Nothing looks torn or off center in the mounting area... Will crawl under tomorrow and take a closer look. I'm in school to be a radiologic technologist. Graduate in May. Just wish Dad was still here to see me graduate.
If you can get some good pictures of them (try to use a flash light if you do), we can help tell you if they need to be replaced or not if you aren't sure.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure he would have been proud. Congrats on the up coming graduation!

3bd05145cd5fde0ec6337bb9a91697b5.jpg
c46a66e68ea819f68ec6d63e87e0bd3d.jpg

Here's pics of the rear control arms, what I could see. These are the frontward/chassis end. Track bar looked good... shocks looked recent, I'll have to poke around in the folder Dad had for her and see when he did them. They were even Mopar shocks...

View attachment 11193View attachment 11194

Here's pics of the rear control arms, what I could see. These are the frontward/chassis end. Track bar looked good... shocks looked recent, I'll have to poke around in the folder Dad had for her and see when he did them. They were even Mopar shocks...

Wow... Those bushings are TOAST! I'd replace those things ASAP. I'd be willing to bet that could be the source of your noise right there.