Noisy/dirty windows

A. Paul

Guy who sold his jeep
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Mud sucks. Whenever I roll my windows up or down you can hear a scraping/crunching as if there's dirt in the track. Has anyone had this issue? If so is there an easy way to clean it?

• Haha
Reactions: Thunderhead
Yeah, remove the window crank, remove door panel, remove the sticky cover inside the panel, roll down the window till you see the two screws at the bottom on the white bracket attached to your window, carefully remove the window, clean everything and reinstall.

Mud sucks. Whenever I roll my windows up or down you can hear a scraping/crunching as if there's dirt in the track. Has anyone had this issue? If so is there an easy way to clean it?
Mine is the same, my wife will ALWAYS roll the window down after I get it muddy, I just shake my head, but the top and door are coming off soon for summer so that will be a good time to clean the inside.

Yeah, remove the window crank, remove door panel, remove the sticky cover inside the panel, roll down the window till you see the two screws at the bottom on the white bracket attached to your window, carefully remove the window, clean everything and reinstall.

Is there a good write up with pictures around here ?

Reactions: TJ Starting
IDK about a write-up. There are a few good videos out there that talk about removing the window crank and getting the door panel off. Get the six dollar tool to remove the window crank at an auto parts store or Amazon. It’s worth it. Then you have to remove five screws, in order to get the door panel off. You can see them by looking around the door. Then you’ll have to pop off the panel around the bottom and both sides before you do the top. They clip on, so be careful the clips are a little brittle on our TJ’s now. Once inside, you have to remove the clear or semi-clear cover that is sticky glued around the edges. Just peel it back. You can put it back later. Use your window crank to roll the window up and down now so you can see how it works. I have a picture that shows how the window connects to the regulator. There are only two screws holding the window to the regulator. There are two door hole openings in the panel that allow you to unscrew the screws and remove the window. They are pointed out in the picture below.

0026B9AC-7DA5-415D-B488-40F24A9CCCAA.jpeg

Reactions: Thunderhead
IDK about a write-up. There are a few good videos out there that talk about removing the window crank and getting the door panel off. Get the six dollar tool to remove the window crank at an auto parts store or Amazon. It’s worth it. Then you have to remove five screws, in order to get the door panel off. You can see them by looking around the door. Then you’ll have to pop off the panel around the bottom and both sides before you do the top. They clip on, so be careful the clips are a little brittle on our TJ’s now. Once inside, you have to remove the clear or semi-clear cover that is sticky glued around the edges. Just peel it back. You can put it back later. Use your window crank to roll the window up and down now so you can see how it works. I have a picture that shows how the window connects to the regulator. There are only two screws holding the window to the regulator. There are two door hole openings in the panel that allow you to unscrew the screws and remove the window. They are pointed out in the picture below.

View attachment 89276

Gracias,
I’ll look around for the vids.

My wife could hardly crank my windows up or down. I replaced my outside door handles/paddles. Once I had everything apart it was pretty simple to clean and lube (use dry lube or silicone) all the moving parts and tracks. Made a huge difference and is fairly easy. An hour or two taking your time for both windows.