Non-blinding headlight options?

TJh00ker

I’m wondering if anyone has had luck finding headlights that aren’t too bright. To each their own, but I live in Chicago and do not need super bright headlights. IMO, that’s why you get flood lights.

I remember in the military they would put a strip of black tape/black paint horizontally in the center of the hmmwv headlights to reduce intensity. Anyone have a success story with non-blinding headlight updates?

A cheap (non-blinding) upgrade option - Factory JK headlights. You'll need some plug adapters, but you can usually get someone's takeoffs pretty cheap or free. Plus, you will then have more bulb options.

I've got some JW in mine right now, plenty bright but aimed mostly properly so I'm not as likely to blind people

I’m wondering if anyone has had luck finding headlights that aren’t too bright. To each their own, but I live in Chicago and do not need super bright headlights. IMO, that’s why you get flood lights.

I remember in the military they would put a strip of black tape/black paint horizontally in the center of the hmmwv headlights to reduce intensity. Anyone have a success story with non-blinding headlight updates?
I've never heard complaints that the stock sealed beam headlights are too bright. They are pretty cheap too, no tape required.

Pretty much all high quality headlight assemblies that are correctly adjusted won't blind other cars. It's the idiots who retrofit LED, halogen, and xenon into reflectors or projectors that are not designed specifically for the application who are the worst offenders. Or the people installing cheap ass light assemblies using the correct bulbs or emitters that are just poorly designed.

Reactions: Daryl
Hella E-code housing produce a nice cutoff line. Just add your choice of H4 bulbs and adjust them properly.
hibeam-jpg_6379.jpg
lowbeam-jpg_6378.jpg

Cutoff pattern is not as important as you might think. High power lights are usually required to be self-leveling so they don't blind traffic. This is especially important on vehicles that ride high and have soft suspension. Every time you get on the throttle you are possibly blinding traffic. This is why lights with extremely sharp cutoffs like the European H4 housings aren't legal in the US.

Reactions: Daryl
Cutoff pattern is not as important as you might think. High power lights are usually required to be self-leveling so they don't blind traffic. This is especially important on vehicles that ride high and have soft suspension. Every time you get on the throttle you are possibly blinding traffic. This is why lights with extremely sharp cutoffs like the European H4 housings aren't legal in the US.
That’s great, but I am continually blinded by vehicles with stock LED headlights due to them sitting on inclines at stoplights. If they were halogen it wouldn’t be a problem. But that driver would also have poor lighting for themselves.

I’ve come to the conclusion that we all need to aim our headlights properly and stop being so sensitive because even at the OEM level, I am still being blinded from time to time.

And self adjusting headlights certainly don’t solve the problem. I’ve been blinded by plenty of $100k+ vehicles driving over speed bumps.

Reactions: pagrey
That’s great, but I am continually blinded by vehicles with stock LED headlights due to them sitting on inclines at stoplights. If they were halogen it wouldn’t be a problem. But that driver would also have poor lighting for themselves.

I’ve come to the conclusion that we all need to aim our headlights properly and stop being so sensitive because even at the OEM level, I am still being blinded from time to time.

And self adjusting headlights certainly don’t solve the problem. I’ve been blinded by plenty of $100k+ vehicles driving over speed bumps.
Uh, I totally agree. Maybe I wasn't clear but ya, what you said.

Uh, I totally agree. Maybe I wasn't clear but ya, what you said.
My apologies! I thought you were saying that all the OEM lighting features solved the cutoff issue. But I see that you mean the cutoff is not really a big deal at the end of the day. Totally misread. My bad man.

Literally my first forum ever and I almost feel bad I’m not paying for all this good info. It’s a breath of fresh air that a community like this exists. I’m definitely going read up on how to property aim headlights. Seems like that’s the consensus. Thanks Y’all!

As long as you can find a good location to do it, aiming them is pretty easy. I did it over the weekend when I moved on from the stock headlights to JW Speakers. They're super bright. I got my dad to drive in front of me and in oncoming traffic to see if it blinded him. All was good and no one has yet to flash me.

Factory headlights are exactly what your looking for.
Not bright at all, as a matter of fact you can't see an PHHHUKIN thing ............. !!! 😬

Used to have trucklite knockoffs (WHDZ) but I hated how bright and obnoxious they were.

Now I'm using Koito headlamps with Tungsram 60w +120 bulbs. Fantastic halogen brightness and doesn't blind anyone.
The Koito's are ECodes like Hellas/Cibie but better housing quality & cutoff. Made in Japan.

Ordered from Daniel Stern.