Non-leaky and easy to use gas can? Help me find the impossible

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
My favorite gas can started leaking when it's not upright. It doesn't have a great base so it likes to fall over during transport, so it's time to find a new one. I have 3 main requests:

1) Must not leak.
2) Easy to strap down and shouldn't fall over.
3) Should be easy to use.

My primary use is to transport fuel from the gas station to home and pour into my pressure washer, Jeeps, ATV, mixing bottles, etc. 95% of the time it'll live in the garage on the floor. The remaining 5% of the time I want to strap it in the back of my Jeep for either carrying extra fuel or bringing to "base camp" so I don't have to stop Jeeping to do a gas station run. I would like the can to carry roughly 5 gallons since this seems to be a manageable amount to lift, alternatively I could live with a pair of 2.5 gallon cans.

1) I don't like the CARP spouts. They are too hard to operate when hoisting 5 gallons overhead or break on me (if you know of something I don't change my mind.).
2) I don't like rotopax. Since the fillerneck lives inside the tank I don't like getting gas all on my fingers when taking it out to use.

Any suggestions for the perfect gas can?

These ones are very pricy and might be too much can for your philosophy of use, especially when you factor in the cost of the the non-CARP spouts, but they will probably last you a lifetime and then some. The spout stores on the handle. Wavian Gas Can Saw a review recently where they drove over it and dropped it off a moving vehicle and it was still fully functional.

"The can is extremely well constructed and is equal to, if not better than, the original German design from World War II that is it's origins. It is authentic, and built correctly. The welds are full-thickness, not cheat spot welds. And the seals do their job and then some. With the can closed up, there's no way spillage or fumes will be a problem. I intensely dislike the CARB compliant spout, and it's pressure activation, however the optional legitimate NATO spout solves the problem. To be clear here, the negative reviews all reflect a lack of understanding of what the product is. This is a modern take on the German military's fuel transport cans from World War II. It's intended to store and transport fuel in volume, to be rugged and take a beating, not be lightweight and convenient. This is a 5-star product. But please, before you post a negative review, understand what you are buying."

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
@toximus Have you seen the Wavian can? I use that with a super siphon (self priming) and it has worked very well in the couple times I have had to use them. The can is really well made. I hate the CARB spouts too and I bought the can without a spout. I can look up where I got it from if you need.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wavian-nato-gas-cans.6283/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MVAIL76/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I love how easy it looks to use, but I don't like that I'd need to touch and store a gas soaked hose (personal preference). My filler neck is also going to be placed about half way up the top so a siphon would be hard to use.

F95F4861-2F7A-4DC8-B860-2EBE6ABF0A30.png

We sell these at my work, you can regulate the flow with your finger tips while filling your whatever up, you tip the can and it won’t flow until you open the valve, so you can insert and remove the spout from the gas filler neck. The flip valve on top is for filling the can back up at the gas station. These are DOT approved for commercial vehicles and you pay for it, about $80.00 but they are user friendly.

Reactions: thomat65 and matkal
Do they stay leak free even when hot (pressure builds inside) and/or tipped over?
Absolutely, They stay leak free when it’s hot.

@toximus I have the genuine 20L Wavian can stored in my shed in Phoenix. The shed gets afternoon sun and on hot summer days I’m sure it’s +120* in there. I have never had the can leak nor have I ever smelled gas vapor when I open the shed door.

The Wavian is still easy to open after the pressure builds up, unlike the MFC I used before.

I have a off brand 5L can that I use for chain saw gas. It works decent but not as well as the real thing.
Note: The spouts are not interchangeable between my two cans.

Last edited:
Do they stay leak free even when hot (pressure builds inside) and/or tipped over?
Not a particularly scientific study, but I and others I camp and hunt with regularly keep them in our truck beds (some filled with diesel and others with unleaded gas) en route to and at camp for extended periods of time in both hot and cold environments and have never had one leak.

My filler neck is also going to be placed about half way up the top so a siphon would be hard to use.

That would be hard indeed. Im watching this thread to see if there are any better options. I usually wear a disposable home l glove and I use a dedicated flexible plastic zippered case for the gas hose and been ok with it so far. I do need to get a better solution for taking the Wavian in my Jeep though.

I just went to tractor supply and got regular pour spouts for my cans with the complicated spouts. They include a vent cap to drill in too

I use a couple of small Rotopax jugs which are convenient but they can’t withstand altitude changes when sealed. When I go from sea level to 10k feet (which I do frequently) they blow up like a balloon. So far I haven’t had one burst but they are substantially deformed. I have been leaving the caps loose to deal with this but that of course results in some spillage. Anyone got a better solution? Drill a small hole it the cap maybe?

My current "go to" jerry can is the Wavian NATO style 20L can. It never leaks or vents fumes. I typically use it with a super siphon to transfer fuel to my jeep's fuel tank so it never leaves the can rack, but I gutted the CARB filler spout that came with the can so I can easily transfer fuel to other vehicles without drips, spills or unreasonable delay. You can buy a non-CARB spout if you like, but I found it unnecessary. [Tip: Get a genuine Wavian can, not a cheap chinese copy.]

I use 2-gal. Rotopax fuel containers on my non-jeep 4x4 because the cans have to sit flat on the roof rack. What I have learned using them is that one must not overfill the cans in order to avoid having to periodically pull the cans off the rack to manually vent them when the cans swell in the summer heat, and that one needs to carry some water pump pliers or the special cap tool sold by Rotopax to crank the cap down tight enough to prevent all leakage when the can is mounted flat. Still, they have done their job with no drama.

I still have a couple of old style Blitz 5 gallon jerry cans. Even with new cap gaskets they still leak when tipped over and vent fumes when upright. That's just the way it is with old jerry cans - a vent hole is part of the design. I hang on to them because they are still in "as new" condition and I may need them if I ever score the flat fender Willys I've been halfheartedly searching for and need period correct jerry cans.

Jerry Cans 2.jpg

Fins N Things 2.jpg

Reactions: psrivats
View attachment 126541
We sell these at my work, you can regulate the flow with your finger tips while filling your whatever up, you tip the can and it won’t flow until you open the valve, so you can insert and remove the spout from the gas filler neck. The flip valve on top is for filling the can back up at the gas station. These are DOT approved for commercial vehicles and you pay for it, about $80.00 but they are user friendly.
how much does one of these hold?

I have some scepter military cans that I bought 14 years ago...they're like a plastic version of the old school metal cans. They work very well, but are not sold new in the states any more. My last 2, a friend bought and brought me down from Canada. You can find used ones on ebay from time to time