Non-traditional feast

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
I've hosted Thanksgiving for about the past 25 years, parents, brother, various other random relatives on a rotating basis... decided this year to stop, just wanted to kick back with my daughter & her fiance who arrived yesterday in advance of their wedding this weekend. So rather than turkey & all the usual stuff, we went full dego, homemade fettuccine with basil tomato, sfincione, & for a twist Kimberly brought over some kielbasa with sauerkraut & potatoes.

fresh pasta dough getting ready

IMG_6939.JPG
IMG_6942.JPG
IMG_6945.JPG

caciocavallo to be diced for the sfincione

IMG_6949.JPG

made the pizza dough around 6am, this is around noon after it finished its first rise in the bowl & about 2 hours in the pan, almost ready to go

IMG_6952.JPG

the pizza topping, equal parts breadcrumbs & locatelli along with two tablespoons of anchovie oil & two of plain olive oil

IMG_6956.JPG

all mixed together

IMG_6957.JPG

the caciocavallo & anchovie pieces on the dough

IMG_6961.JPG

next the caramelized onions

IMG_6962.JPG

next the plain tomato sauce, this was Sardinian tomatoes, worth the extra expense:

IMG_6963.JPG

on with the topping & into the oven at 425 for about 25 minutes

IMG_6964.JPG

meanwhile the basil tomato sauce for the pasta cooking

IMG_6965.JPG

sfincione out of the oven

IMG_6966.JPG
IMG_6967.JPG

few minutes in boiling water & the fresh pasta was done

IMG_6968.JPG
IMG_6969.JPG
IMG_6970.JPG
IMG_6971.JPG
IMG_6974.JPG
IMG_6975.JPG

topped off with a blueberry pie & an apple pie, I'm stuffed, but not as bad as it usually is on this day. We're all happy & looking forward to the big day upcoming.

Hope you all are have a great day as well, happy Thanksgiving to all!

Hands down I would rather have that over traditional Thanksgiving food any day!

Reactions: Tomcat
Hands down I would rather have that over traditional Thanksgiving food any day!
I'm not Italian but that does seem considerably better than the normal Thanksgiving meal.
yup, I've about had it with the traditional route. Even when you nail it turkey is at best decent, the sides are always better, particularly the sweet potato pie my mom always brings. I make a pretty good stuffing & also giblet gravy with homemade cranberry sauce. But I can never escape the feeling that it's a let down when all is said & done, really stuck with it all these years for tradition sake only. I'm thinking now about doing something like we did yesterday from here on out, maybe different every year to keep it interesting. It's always going to be a day devoted to cooking, that part I love, so maybe some future experiments will be in order & although I lean heavy towards Italian as that is my heritage there is no shortage of great things to cook from all over the planet. The kielbasa & sauerkraut was out of this world tasty, doesn't seem like it would've gone well with the other things but it was incredible.

Reactions: Chris
yup, I've about had it with the traditional route. Even when you nail it turkey is at best decent, the sides are always better, particularly the sweet potato pie my mom always brings. I make a pretty good stuffing & also giblet gravy with homemade cranberry sauce. But I can never escape the feeling that it's a let down when all is said & done, really stuck with it all these years for tradition sake only. I'm thinking now about doing something like we did yesterday from here on out, maybe different every year to keep it interesting. It's always going to be a day devoted to cooking, that part I love, so maybe some future experiments will be in order & although I lean heavy towards Italian as that is my heritage there is no shortage of great things to cook from all over the planet. The kielbasa & sauerkraut was out of this world tasty, doesn't seem like it would've gone well with the other things but it was incredible.
This just goes to show that some traditions need to be updated 😉

Turkey is usually just meh, and you’re right, it’s always the sides that are better.

Reactions: Apparition