NOOB resurrecting a 2000

xackley

TJ Enthusiast
Hello
A friend had a beat up TJ that has been sitting in a field for 2 years.
So far I have replaced all the brake lines, wiper motor, O2 sensor, reconnected and/or replaced lights, put a horn button in the dash, and a mess of other stuff necessary so it might pass inspection.
Yesterday he finally got the Title straightened out so I got NYS temp plates so I could get it out of the field and into my garage. Top speed I felt safe at was 35MPH because the front drive shaft pretty much just flops around.
Today I started working on dropping the plate that supports the transfer case to remove the front drive shaft and inspect the frame. I actually broke the handle of a breaker bar in half removing the bolts. But between an impact wrench and another breaker I am close to sliding the pan out.

I have a WTB in the classifieds for a rear window for a Pavement End top
Thank you for listening.
Don

PS: If anyone has an original length front drive shaft with non greaseable U-joints, let me know. This TJ has no lift.

Sure would like to know exactly what "the front drive shaft pretty much just flops around" means...was it detached on one end, or apart in the middle...? sounds scary...

The U-joints by the transfer case are very loose. I will not know if there is damage to the shaft or seals coming out of the transfer case until I finish dropping the pan.
there may also be a wobble at the slip joint, whatever it's correct name is. I will know for sure when I get it on a bench. I would rather just replace the shaft with a good original that someone pulled because of a lift.
Don

Welcome aboard! Before going further, get some Kroil or PB Blaster to break loose any bolts you need to take out. I can imagine a NY rig sitting around for a while is pretty rusty. Saves a lot of headaches and repairs later. Get some pics up when you can. There are many folks here with a ton of Jeep knowledge so don't be afraid to ask.

Reactions: EJD and 94c2500
I love Jeep resurrection stories, I'll be following this. One, I hope you got a great deal on this, and two, you have a lot of patience...! Good luck.