California NorCal: Help with Lift Install for Beginner?

tomtaylz

LJR Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I just ordered the DPG OME Ultimate kit from Dirk at DPG Offroad. it should be here in about two weeks. I may also get BMB brakes to install soon. I live in the city (SF) and I'm a huge beginner at mechanically inclined things.

There are shops around the bay which can do the install for me if it comes to it but I'd rather do it myself because:
A. If something goes wrong on the trail, I can have an idea on whats going on and fix it myself
B. The shops around here charge what sounds like a silly amount of money for something which sounds like it isn't too bad from a mechanical perspective ($140/hr labor adds up quick :eek:)

However, being in the city without a garage or tools, and not really knowing what I'm doing, its beyond my comfort zone.

If anyone has the tools and space and is willing to walk me through it/help out, I can bring beer and throw in a few hundred dollars to sweeten the deal, if someone has the time just let me know what you would be comfortable with. I can gladly travel a couple of hours away too.

Tom

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Good luck ! I’m up in Orland by Chico.
For tools you could try AutoZone cause they will bill you for the tool but they give you credit when you bring it back.
What size lift is the OME?

We have walked many members through their lift upgrades and would definitely do the same for you. Then we would help you spend the hundreds of dollars you saved on some other upgrades :)

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
We have walked many members through their lift upgrades and would definitely do the same for you. Then we would help you spend the hundreds of dollars you saved on some other upgrades :)

Appreciate all the support! I think I am going to try one of these DIY kind of places, I'll have to figure out their pricing but it should be a huge savings considering some places wanted about $1200-1500 for the lift install.

Yeah thats just install. From one shop they said: lift will be about 6 hours ($840) to install and 3 hours ($420) to install the body lift and motor mount and $120 for alignment to dismount and mount and balance tires is about $250

So $1600 there. :eek:

Yeah thats just install. From one shop they said: lift will be about 6 hours ($840) to install and 3 hours ($420) to install the body lift and motor mount and $120 for alignment to dismount and mount and balance tires is about $250

So $1600 there. :eek:

Hmmmm. If you can find a place for a weekend, you could do everything but the tire dismount and mount and save yourself about $1400

Hmmmm. If you can find a place for a weekend, you could do everything but the tire dismount and mount and save yourself about $1400

Yeah thats what I'm hoping, even with the DIY shop it should be considerably cheaper than the cost above which is a bit silly. Thats the main reason I was reaching out on the forums, but good to know the DIY places exist also :)

Are you going to tackle everything at once ? What size tires do you have ?

I hope to, I just like the feeling of being done. However, I'm probably doing 32's and could probably just about squeak by if I didn't do the MML/BL right away.

Reactions: Thunderhead
That’s what I was thinking. Put the 2.5 lift and trac bars or whatever is included with the kit. See how it handles. Then MML/BL
Of course I have a Rubicon and it’s a little different

Reactions: tomtaylz
Yeah thats what I'm hoping, even with the DIY shop it should be considerably cheaper than the cost above which is a bit silly. Thats the main reason I was reaching out on the forums, but good to know the DIY places exist also :)

I hope to, I just like the feeling of being done. However, I'm probably doing 32's and could probably just about squeak by if I didn't do the MML/BL right away.

That's what I was thinking too. All those changes at once could be a lot. The lift kit should come with 0.75" t-case pucks in case you need to lower it a bit if driveline vibes come up after the lift. You'd be fine on 32's with 1" bump stop extensions.

Yeah we'll probably see how I feel after the OME install and go from there.
Some questions I don't know if I know the answer to: Is the OEM tire carrier on the back strong enough to hold a 32 or do I need some sort of enforcement there? I know thats common on JK's.
What do you guys do with tires/rims? Do you guys actually install the tires onto the rims and then just get them balanced or do you just take it to the pros for the whole mounting process? :D

Some questions I don't know if I know the answer to: Is the OEM tire carrier on the back strong enough to hold a 32 or do I need some sort of enforcement there? I know thats common on JK's.
What do you guys do with tires/rims? Do you guys actually install the tires onto the rims and then just get them balanced or do you just take it to the pros for the whole mounting process? :D

A 32 inch tire will fit the OEM tire carrier. It just depends on the backspacing on your wheels if you have to add more “stop”. Like my 3.5 backspace wheels don’t touch the oem stops. I added some rubber blocks I had around work.
I took the wheels I bought to a tire shop to install with new BFG KO2. Lots of options out there most guys run 15 inch wheels. Steel or aluminum is a different debate. Tire options are slim with 16 but more abundant with 17 I believe

The factory tire carrier will handle a 31" tire ok. Anything bigger will require some additional help. The other problem you have there is when you get aftermarket wheels with a different backspacing from stock. They will no longer seat up tight to the factory snubbers on the tailgate.

Leave the tire mounting/balancing to the pros.

Reactions: tomtaylz