California NorCal Jeep adventures!

Ham isn't an acronym, neither is 73. I guess that's the problem when you start to be the internet police right? Everybody make mistakes.

Your're right. 73 isn't an acronym. Mea culpa. I googled "ham acronyms." One of the listings was 73 and its origins so I typed the word "acronym" into my post by mistake. Its ham that's not an acronym. 73 is just old telegraph code.

As far as being ham police, that's not me. I think I've violated every rule 1,000 times and I proudly keep an "illegal" Baofeng radio in my jeep. Sometimes I even say "shit" on the air. But sure enough, just a soon as a guy gets his ham ticket and proudly signs off a post with "73's" and his new call sign some old guy who learned Morse Code to become a ham will correct him and call him a clueless newbie. Just wanted to save Bob the experience.

KG6LMV

Last edited:
At this stage I'm really sure what I want. I don't want a bunch of clutter in the jeep with multiple units, I do know that. I figure that in the beginning, I'll just be using it on jeep runs, but will still primarily use CB for back-n-forth banter. I guess I figure that is why a hand held (is that what HT stands for?).

HT is ham speak for "handy talkie" which is what normal people refer to as a hand held.

Consider a Baofeng as your first radio. They are dirt cheap and work reasonably well. You can acquire the radio, accessories, longer rubber duck antenna and an external mag mount antenna for about $100. It gets you in the game while you figure out what features are important to you and when you graduate to one of the "Big 3" brands you can use your Baofeng as a backup or to lend to someone who shows up to a run without comms.

One of the things I think you will notice about a HT is that the antenna is always in the way when you are using your radio inside a vehicle. The stubby antennas and antennas under 10" minimize that somewhat but it will still be a hassle, and the short antennas compromise range. You will probably want to consider a mag mount external antenna at some point regardless of what brand HT you choose.

Scored a 77% on my practice test. I'm working on it! When I can consistently score over 80% I'll start looking for testing sites. May take a while, lol! Recommendations on a entry level handheld welcome. I want it to be repeater capable and have a antenna amplifier.
I took the test once I could pass above 80% 9/10 tests. The questions are identical.

I have a cheap baofeng uv-5r handheld. If more people in the group convert I may get a hard mounted radio like indys so I can message the wife.

Great info guys, thanks! Getting excited about moving forward with this. Studied a bunch today and was getting consistant low 80%'s. Math is not my strong suit, so the formula questions tax me some.

Alrighty fellas, I think we need to get something together. This weather is just begging us to. Who wants to hit some trails ?
I'm really over all this Corona crap and I think things are going to get really bad. Supply chains are being wreaked to the point of no return it looks like.
All I'm saying is I'd rather hit the trails now than in May or June when civil unrest breaks out because of the shortages.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
Alrighty fellas, I think we need to get something together. This weather is just begging us to. Who wants to hit some trails ?
I'm really over all this Corona crap and I think things are going to get really bad. Supply chains are being wreaked to the point of no return it looks like.
All I'm saying is I'd rather hit the trails now than in May or June when civil unrest breaks out because of the shortages.
My jeep is inoperable at the moment. Try not to sound too optimistic lol

My jeep is inoperable at the moment. Try not to sound too optimistic lol

We are in for a shit show because of the "Social Distancing" and the stay at home order. I don't think Gavin understands small business at all. We maybe flattening the curve but the unemployment is going to get us real bad.
In Orland we have 2 grocery stores. EVERYBODY goes to the same freaking stores so all its gunna take is 1 person to wipe us all out apparently. They need to open things back up and keep the old and sick at home.

If you can find a spot im there!

Reactions: Justin Homan
I went with U-pol raptor liner from amazon, I am just doing the interior
Didn't know there was an off gassing time for it, but I guess inside you would really notice the smell. How hard was it? My exterior was done in Raptor Liner before I purchased it, looks cool, damn tough. I don't get desert pinstriping. :cool:

Reactions: D M
Didn't know there was an off gassing time for it, but I guess inside you would really notice the smell. My exterior was done in Raptor Liner before I purchased it, looks cool, damn tough. I don't get desert pinstriping. :cool:
It takes more or less about a full week to cure

Reactions: U8MYDZT
If you can find a spot im there!
When you guys figure something out I'd be interested!
I would love to go wheeling! I am
currently in the middle of bedlining my jeep, but the bedliner should stop off gassing in about 7-9 days.

I would hate to set something up and then bail. If we could get something together for the 18th or 25th. I know we and my in-laws are itching to camp in MNF one of these weekends.
Maybe Uncle Toms Cabin run ?
that’s a 2:30 drive for me but I’m sure it would be the same travel for the Bay Area guys.
Maybe @DrDmoney has a scouting report ?